Quality Loss Divx Avi Files Compilation To Dvd

carlbozicek@btinternet.com

Question

Accept that I am a beginner - so no smarty replies please!

After compiling say 5 x 350Mb Divx avi files I then burn to disc (or file).

The final DVD quality is very poor, nothing like the excellent original. The result is best described as pixellated.

I have done the recommended empty temp files/turn off start up items etc. etc. but this has made no difference.

Is this a weakness of the program or can I tweak any settings?

My computer and burner are capable of burning quality DVDs.

Note that I have used AVS converter (trial version) to convert indidual files and these are perfectly OK (apart from the logo). I am not prepared to get the full version of this because I don't think it does compilations (and I have already paid for Roxio and would not be happy to just scrap it).

Am I trying to put too many files on one DVD disc? If so, how come I can use my DVD/VHS recorder/player to get the same files on one disc with no problems. Note that MY player will play Divx avi files. My friends DVD players will not. I would like to give them DVD compilations. To date I have been using my recorder to convert from 5 avis to 1 VHS then VHS (EP) back to 1 DVD disc. The quality is quite reasonable but surely I should not need to do this!

So the question is will Roxio be able to do the equivalent without quality loss?

Help would be most appreciated.

P.S. For those in the know or for those who don't know, the hatch is full of Mars Bars.

13 answers to this question

Accept that I am a beginner - so no smarty replies please!

After compiling say 5 x 350Mb Divx avi files I then burn to disc (or file).

The final DVD quality is very poor, nothing like the excellent original. The result is best described as pixellated.

I have done the recommended empty temp files/turn off start up items etc. etc. but this has made no difference.

Is this a weakness of the program or can I tweak any settings?

My computer and burner are capable of burning quality DVDs.

Note that I have used AVS converter (trial version) to convert indidual files and these are perfectly OK (apart from the logo). I am not prepared to get the full version of this because I don't think it does compilations (and I have already paid for Roxio and would not be happy to just scrap it).

Am I trying to put too many files on one DVD disc? If so, how come I can use my DVD/VHS recorder/player to get the same files on one disc with no problems. Note that MY player will play Divx avi files. My friends DVD players will not. I would like to give them DVD compilations. To date I have been using my recorder to convert from 5 avis to 1 VHS then VHS (EP) back to 1 DVD disc. The quality is quite reasonable but surely I should not need to do this!

So the question is will Roxio be able to do the equivalent without quality loss?

Help would be most appreciated.

P.S. For those in the know or for those who don't know, the hatch is full of Mars Bars.

Are you using MyDVD or Divx to DVD? What setting are you using? Choose the best setting for highest quality, burn your project to an ISO image and then burn that image, no matter what the final size is, to disc with Disc Copier which will transcode your files to fit to the disk at the best possible quality.

Oh, and there were more than Mars Bars there, just ask Hurely!

Mmmm!

I'm using Disc Copier. I thought My DVD was separate (regarding settings)! I suspected I should have changed some settings in My DVD first. Is this true? If so, I didn't know what to set.

I looked at Project Settings in MyDVD. This was set to "Fit to Disc" with the other options greyed out. Should I unclick "Fit to Disc" to alter the other options? If so, to what?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I either have Altzheimer's or have got a dose of what the "others" are passing on.

Thanks, Carl.

I was referring to AVS regarding full version.

Trusting we are on the samw wavelength, I'm looking for a solution with Roxio.

Thanks

Right - all you people out there. My wife is dragging me off to the supermarket. Great!

When I get back I expect all my problems sorted out. Can we please have everyone's attention to this.

Back soon.

First you must realize that DivX is compressed much more than MPEG2 which is what is used for standard video DVDs so the files will be larger and yo may not get as many on a disc. You may be able to use higher MPEG2 compression if you don't mind loosing the quality.

Disc Copier's video compilation was desgined for those that don't want to design menus or in a hurry. There are no settings to tweak when it comes to bitrates. That's all automatic. If you want more control, then you should use MyDVD 8. One thing to keep in mind: BEST quality you can only get ONE hour of video. Adding more video will decrease the quality. There's just no way around that with any software.

I appreciate your advice, but:

I've now tried MyDVD 8 and however I tweak the project settings, for 5 avis as described earlier I'm told that I need far more space than I have on one DVD disc. This agrees with what you said, but:

What I can't get my head around is that my DVD recorder/player will transfer the same 5 (each 42min) original avi files onto a 240min VHS tape. Then when this is dubbed back (selecting extended play) onto DVD, the quality reduction is quite acceptable, hardly noticeable, although I suppose there must have been some "reduction" doing this.

I accept that I am new to this and I'm naive to the technicalities, but:

If my unorthodox method can reduce the files with quite acceptable quality AND get these 5 files on one DVD, how come the Roxio software can't?

Hoping readers are't thinking "Doh, who's this novice?", please bear with me and help me out.

Thanks

I understand. I have a Liteon recorder that has 1,2,3,4 and 6 hour modes. Fairly much, they reduce the resolution AND more compression to get that on a disc.

For example on my Liteon:

1 hr = 720 X 480 @ 8Mbps

2 hr = 720 X 480 @ 4.65Mbps

3 hr = I forget that one lol

4 hr = 352 X 480 @ 2Mbps

6 hr = 352 X 240 @ 1.5 Mbps (uses MPEG 1 which is the same as VCD)

The lowest bitrate in MyDVD is only 4Mbps regardless of resolution so it simply can not compress teh video as much as the stand alone recorders.

I appreciate your advice, but:

I've now tried MyDVD 8 and however I tweak the project settings, for 5 avis as described earlier I'm told that I need far more space than I have on one DVD disc. This agrees with what you said, but:

What I can't get my head around is that my DVD recorder/player will transfer the same 5 (each 42min) original avi files onto a 240min VHS tape. Then when this is dubbed back (selecting extended play) onto DVD, the quality reduction is quite acceptable, hardly noticeable, although I suppose there must have been some "reduction" doing this.

I accept that I am new to this and I'm naive to the technicalities, but:

If my unorthodox method can reduce the files with quite acceptable quality AND get these 5 files on one DVD, how come the Roxio software can't?

Hoping readers are't thinking "Doh, who's this novice?", please bear with me and help me out.

Thanks

Looks like Gary was on the right track. You finally supplied the key to all of this, "…the same 5 (each 42min) original avi files…"! That means you have a 3:30 hr project!

Video is measured in time not file size. At Best Quality, a 4.7gb DVD will hold about 1 hour of video.

Use some DVD RW to test with. Try making a project with only 1 of your files, then another one with 2.

I doubt that the resulting quality will allow you more than 2 per DVD. Although you could try one with 3…

Archived