• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Burning help

DrD

Question

Greetings,

A friend downloaded and burned a program (DVD) on his Windows PC. Plays back fine on his computer, but will not play on his DVD player. He brought it to me, thinking I could make a playable copy for him. I have Toast 6.1, Quicktime 7 running on my Mac G4. What is the problem with the original that it will not play? Do I have to convert formats? Do I have the tools to do it? If I do have tools, what are the steps? Thanks so much!

Dave

3 answers to this question

Does it have a VIDEO_TS folder? If so, then that needs to be burned to a UDF-formatted DVD. Possibly the one he burned was ISO 9660 format instead of UDF.

You say you have Toast 6.1 which may mean you have Toast Lite 6.1. I'm not sure what features were removed in Toast Lite so I'm uncertain what steps to give you. Maybe the best thing is for you to use DVD Imager to make a disc image containing the VIDEO_TS folder and then burning that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Thanks for quick response. I just have the physical disc that was made and do not have access to the computer that it was burned on. It was quite a while ago. Sooo, I have no idea about the VIDEO_TS issue. I have Toast Titanium, not Lite, if that changes things. I've downloaded DVD Imager and will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Dave

Thanks for quick response. I just have the physical disc that was made and do not have access to the computer that it was burned on. It was quite a while ago. Sooo, I have no idea about the VIDEO_TS issue. I have Toast Titanium, not Lite, if that changes things. I've downloaded DVD Imager and will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Dave

Since you have Toast 6 Titanium you don't need DVD Imager (although I'll explain how to use it as well).

With just Toast, choose the Video window and click the DVD video from VIDEO_TS option. Insert the DVD. Add to Toast the VIDEO_TS folder that's on the disc. Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that is done eject the DVD, change Toast to the Copy window, choose the Image File setting, select the disc image you just saved (a .toast file) and burn the new DVD.

With DVD Imager you are using it to make the disc image from the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder. Then use the Toast copy window to burn that image file to DVD.

Greetings,

A friend downloaded and burned a program (DVD) on his Windows PC. Plays back fine on his computer, but will not play on his DVD player. He brought it to me, thinking I could make a playable copy for him. I have Toast 6.1, Quicktime 7 running on my Mac G4. What is the problem with the original that it will not play? Do I have to convert formats? Do I have the tools to do it? If I do have tools, what are the steps? Thanks so much!

Dave

Does it have a VIDEO_TS folder? If so, then that needs to be burned to a UDF-formatted DVD. Possibly the one he burned was ISO 9660 format instead of UDF.

You say you have Toast 6.1 which may mean you have Toast Lite 6.1. I'm not sure what features were removed in Toast Lite so I'm uncertain what steps to give you. Maybe the best thing is for you to use DVD Imager to make a disc image containing the VIDEO_TS folder and then burning that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Archived