caq0506

Can't Read The Dvd It Burns

:) Have Roxio Easy Creator 5 that came with my Dell laptop --have updated it from time to time. I have a CD-R/DVD+R/RW. Roxio burns a data DVD but then the computer can't read it. I finalized the session, not the DVD, on a DVD+R. When I try to read it, the drive goes on and on and on and it can never decipher it. I go in through My Computer, it shows the DVD there, but it can't read it.

I put the DVD into a friend's computer that has 2 DVD drive, one a DVD+ROM, the other a DVD+R/RW. The ROM takes a while but then it reads it. The +R/RW reads it rightway. They both show all my files that I put on that CD.

My computer can read other DVD's, but it can't read the ones I burn with Roxio (I have tried several times).

Does anyone know if this a Roxio 5 problem? Or what other problem/combination it could be ? I Can't find anything posted on it. P L E A S E let me know--I wanna resolve this issue and I can't find anything abou it.

THANKS!

Hello,

I've not heard of this happening before, but I'll try to help.

If it wasn't that you can read the DVD on other drives I would think that the burn had failed, but since you can read it elsewhere the obviously the burn was done the right way.

DVD writers usually have tables of burn parameters in their firmware, and these parameters adjust things such as burn speed and power, depending on whether the drive recognizes the blank disc. As more disc brands and types come on the market firmware updates are issued by reputable manufacturers so their drives can recognize and handle more types of discs.

With all that in mind, I'm wondering if your drive might be having difficulty with the type of DVD you're using.

If it was a fault in the Roxio software (not impossible) then I would expect it to have shown with other people before now.

-May I suggest you check with the drive manufacturer to see if a firmware update is available, and update the drive if necessary.

-Try changing your brand or colour of DVD, or try changing the burn speed in case that makes a more readable disc.

You haven't said, but I'd be interested to know if the drive can read other burned discs, or if it can only read silver, pressed, commercial CDs and DVDs. If the last is the case, it would seem the drive has something wrong with its read circuitry (hope not). Please let me know if this helps.

Hi, Brendon--thanks. I have tried 2 different kinds of DVD's, but I'll try again. The drive reads everything else fine, including CD's it has burned itself. I have made movie DVD's with Pinnacle and then watched them back on the computer using the same drive. But when it comes to using Roxio for making a DVD, that's when the problem comes in. I put on i t mixed data, such as photos and Word files, but I figured if that mattered, then the other drives in my friend's computer wouldn't be able to read them either, and they read them--just my drive that can't. I will try again with a differnet kind of DVD and see. Since I have the original limited version that came with the computer, I didnt know if that made a difference. I will try updating again. Thanks. Carmen.

Hi, Brendon--thanks. I have tried 2 different kinds of DVD's, but I'll try again. The drive reads everything else fine, including CD's it has burned itself. I have made movie DVD's with Pinnacle and then watched them back on the computer using the same drive. But when it comes to using Roxio for making a DVD, that's when the problem comes in. I put on i t mixed data, such as photos and Word files, but I figured if that mattered, then the other drives in my friend's computer wouldn't be able to read them either, and they read them--just my drive that can't. I will try again with a differnet kind of DVD and see. Since I have the original limited version that came with the computer, I didnt know if that made a difference. I will try updating again. Thanks. Carmen.

A light went on as I was reading that, altho as Brendon has often enough pointed out, those lights I see are often misleading.

However - in view of the fact ECDC 5 only can create data discs - you weren't trying to do Video, were you?

Are we talking about DVD/R or DVD/RW?

Was it formatted? (Basic False Analogy - optical media does NOT get formatted before using, unlike floppys)

Of course, all this could be irrelevant, since you've used ECDC 5 a while.

Lynn

:) Have Roxio Easy Creator 5 that came with my Dell laptop --have updated it from time to time. I have a CD-R/DVD+R/RW. Roxio burns a data DVD but then the computer can't read it. I finalized the session, not the DVD, on a DVD+R. When I try to read it, the drive goes on and on and on and it can never decipher it. I go in through My Computer, it shows the DVD there, but it can't read it.

You might also want to try closing the disc, and not leaving it set as a "multi-session" disc, that could make a difference in how well it's read. Obviously, if you don't have a full DVDs worth of data, that would seem a bit wasteful, but it may be worth the experiment. I'd also concur with Brendon's assessment of trying different discs.

A light went on as I was reading that, altho as Brendon has often enough pointed out, those lights I see are often misleading.

However - in view of the fact ECDC 5 only can create data discs - you weren't trying to do Video, were you?

Are we talking about DVD/R or DVD/RW?

Was it formatted? (Basic False Analogy - optical media does NOT get formatted before using, unlike floppys)

Of course, all this could be irrelevant, since you've used ECDC 5 a while.

Lynn

Using DR+R. No, I didn't format it first--I'll try that, though not sure if my SC5 can format a DVD, since it's the limited edition that comes with the computer--I'll have to check. No, it was a data DVD, not a video DVD, and it can be read fine in another drive and evetually read ok in a 3rd drive (takes a while of churning) but my own drive won't recognize it at all....but my drive recognizes and plays fine everything else, including video DVD's made with Pinnacle software......

Using DR+R. No, I didn't format it first--I'll try that, though not sure if my SC5 can format a DVD, since it's the limited edition that comes with the computer--I'll have to check. No, it was a data DVD, not a video DVD, and it can be read fine in another drive and evetually read ok in a 3rd drive (takes a while of churning) but my own drive won't recognize it at all....but my drive recognizes and plays fine everything else, including video DVD's made with Pinnacle software......

DON'T FORMAT.

Lynn