media manager - getting started

chrissy

Question

hi all! :D

i bought emc9 since it had features to handle what i immediately needed to do (create a data cd or dvd to send to friends & family with photos & videos) and what i hoped to get into (editing video files, pulling my old lps into an mp3 library, etc).

i figured the 1st step would be to consolidate all my photo files, etc from 2 work computers, a home computer, and a laptop. i'm starting with my work computer, which has about 2730 photo files, and i'm ready to scream! :angry:

media manager help says media manager can use your pre-existing folders. i worried about this since my current folders have duplicates of the same picture in different folders, and it's a hassle to manage. i want to have just 1 source file for each photo, so i decided to put all my photos into a main file (eliminating duplicates), and then thought i’d categorize my photos with media manager by setting up keywords for each photo. THIS PROCESS IS S-L-O-W!!! just setting up a new keyword takes about 3 minutes before I regain access to media manager. :unsure::unsure::unsure: is this normal??? i understand why there’s a lag time, but would feel more comfortable knowing it isn’t excessive, and even better, if there’s any way to do this which is more efficient.

i searched the 1st 10 pages in both how to/usability & general discussion forums without finding this question, so i apologize if it’s covered in earlier posts! at least i can see that when i get ready for the more advanced projects, i’ll have plenty of posts out there waiting to guide me through the problems!

:D

2 answers to this question

The best way to speed it up is to tell it to only watch the folder that you're keeping everything in.If it tries to scan you're whole C: drive then it's going to take awhile.The first thing I do is go into it and take away all the default folders and tell it to just watch the one folder I keep everything in.This seems to cut down on the scanning time dramatically.

hi all! :D

i bought emc9 since it had features to handle what i immediately needed to do (create a data cd or dvd to send to friends & family with photos & videos) and what i hoped to get into (editing video files, pulling my old lps into an mp3 library, etc).

i figured the 1st step would be to consolidate all my photo files, etc from 2 work computers, a home computer, and a laptop. i'm starting with my work computer, which has about 2730 photo files, and i'm ready to scream! :angry:

media manager help says media manager can use your pre-existing folders. i worried about this since my current folders have duplicates of the same picture in different folders, and it's a hassle to manage. i want to have just 1 source file for each photo, so i decided to put all my photos into a main file (eliminating duplicates), and then thought i’d categorize my photos with media manager by setting up keywords for each photo. THIS PROCESS IS S-L-O-W!!! just setting up a new keyword takes about 3 minutes before I regain access to media manager. :unsure::unsure::unsure: is this normal??? i understand why there’s a lag time, but would feel more comfortable knowing it isn’t excessive, and even better, if there’s any way to do this which is more efficient.

i searched the 1st 10 pages in both how to/usability & general discussion forums without finding this question, so i apologize if it’s covered in earlier posts! at least i can see that when i get ready for the more advanced projects, i’ll have plenty of posts out there waiting to guide me through the problems!

:D

I believe that it is slow the first time but won't be nearly as slow, later, depending how much you are adding to be categorized.

I don't use Media Manager. I would rather manage my files, myself.

Archived