Sign in to follow this  
bzemeski

Burning from iMovie

Question

How long does it take to burn a DVD? It is running me 10 hrs. to encode and burn a 120 min./4.7GB DVD .

I have an LG manufactured HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DVD-combo drive and am running on 1 gig single processor G4 MDD.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4

Machine Model: PowerMac3,6

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 1.25 GB

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.6.0f1

Serial Number: CK309H2PN1S

Am I doing the process correctly? The video I am burning is from iMovie.

I have downloaded the mini-dv tape to the computer through iMovie. Then, after any editing, I save it and drag the files to Toast, which says it will not import .MOV files as that format is not supported by Toast, and burn it, which is taking over 10 hours to get to that point.

This is awl too baffling for me. My co-worker on a PC using a Sonic product can fit 4 hours on a DVD (twice as much video - 4 hrs as to my 2) and he does it in a couple of hours using the very same media!

I have 20 hours of video. I can put 2 hours on per DVD which is taking a minimum of 10 hours per DVD to encode and burn. We are talking 200 hours! Can not this be done quicker?

Would the reason my friend's PC production be faster is that the format for video in a PC is probably MPEG2, which is the same as the format on the DVD? Now since I am working with ,MOV or .iMovieProject files could be the cause for the long time in encoding? I don't know for sure but I wonder if converting the file to an MPEG2 would speed up this process?

Do you have any answers or advice?

2 answers to this question

That seems slow to me, too. I have a 933 mhz G4 iBook and although it's been awhile since I've used it to encode video I recall it being closer to 3-1/2 hours to encode each hour of DV video from iMovie.

Also I puzzled by the message that Toast doesn't accept those files yet you are able to proceed. The way to use iMovie files in Toast is to drag the iMovie project file to the Video window (with DVD video selected as the format). The Media Browser makes this really easy assuming your project file is in your Movies folder. Toast does accept .mov files. Please describe the steps you are following again. In Toast Help there are specific instructions to using Toast with iMovie. Something just isn't making sense to me.

Using MPEG 2 files instead can save time but MPEG 2 is very difficult to edit and does not work with iMovie. DV is a higher-quality format for shooting and editing but quality takes extra time in making the DVD.

One way I find that is a fast and easy way to get you content out of iMovie and into toast is to locate the iMovie file your working on in the Finder and right click or control click it and select "Show package contents" this will open the guts of your project. From there select the "Media" folder and you will see all of your clips select those clips and drag them into the "DVD Video" section and shabam! your clips are immediately imported into toast and you spent no time encoding! And if you just want one button on your DVD menu instead of a button for each clip simple check the "play all item continuously" box in the options section located on the lower left part the toast window and then click on the "More" button and go to the "Menus" tab and change the number of buttons to 1. The end resolt is a menu with one button for all of your without having to spend hours encoding from iMovie. When I learned this trick my productivity doubled. Hope this helps!

-Pikeman