• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

vho

Wondering which part I went wrong.....help pls

Question

I am wondering where I went wrong.....

I captured a half hour streaming video in wmv format. Since I wanted to see it on tv using a dvd player, I converted the wmv to dvd (using WinAvi), then burn using sONIC dIGITAL MEDIA LE v7 that came bundled in my pc. I can play it on my pc and my cheap no name dvd player but I am baffled that both my friends cannot play the dvd (I gave them Sony,Mitsubishi, verbatim, Maxel plus and minus) on their Samsung and Sony players and worst still, on their PCs. Whatever do you think could be the reason??? Did something go wrong during conversion or burning or because of Sonic DLA?

Question 2.

Before this, I had RecordNow 6. Can anyone advise me if this is better than the above. I've had no problems with both until now, but RecordNow seems simple and straightforward. Pls advise

Question 3.

Referring to question 1, because each hald hour show is 1GB, I want to puut 3 sessions in it but in my pc, I can play all 3 sessions, on my dvd player, only the first. How would I rectify this? Sonic only allows me to burn as data disc

Pls be patient with me, I'm kinda new to this. Thks for any help offered

8 answers to this question

What did you output from WinAvi? An image (.iso) file, a DVD Video folder set, something else?

How did you burn the WinAvi output to the discs?

What did you output from WinAvi? An image (.iso) file, a DVD Video folder set, something else?

How did you burn the WinAvi output to the discs?

Sorry about that...

I actually don't quite understand ur questions but I'll try to see if this info helps.

I open my WinAvi, choose "convert to DVD", and choose the wmv file that I want converted. After conversion, the converted file goes back to my pc © like this Audio_ts (empty), video_ts (which has IFO,BUP VOB files). I then open up Sonic, click data and all my files appear incl the converted DVD. I just click and it burns. Hope that helped a bit?

Sorry about that...

I actually don't quite understand ur questions but I'll try to see if this info helps.

I open my WinAvi, choose "convert to DVD", and choose the wmv file that I want converted. After conversion, the converted file goes back to my pc © like this Audio_ts (empty), video_ts (which has IFO,BUP VOB files). I then open up Sonic, click data and all my files appear incl the converted DVD. I just click and it burns. Hope that helped a bit?

Did the "Data" window look something like the attached picture?

If so, under the "burn options" area (wrench looking icon) you probably have it set to "leave the disc open" to write multiple sessions. Most players will not play a disc that is left open. It has to be "finalized". You can manually finalize the discs using the Tools project area. You cannot write multiple sessions for a Video DVD.

While burning DVD Folder set as a data disc (that is finalized) will usually work, why didn't you just add those WMV video files the the MyDVD app in the Sonic product and burn that to the disc? That's what that is designed for.

post-71-1178728714.png

That's exactly how it looked. I checked and it is now DAO Closed. At the time I burned, it could have been something else because I have tried so many things to figure out my problem. I will burn this at DAO Closed and get back to you when my 2 friends have tested it (since my pc and player plays with no problem ).

Do u think DLA is something I should uninstall (when I did today)...

T answer your second question, if I just burned it in wmv file, the dvd plays on my pc but not on my dvd player. Ultimately, my goal is to be able to play on most dvd players (since I want to share the dvdrs) and be able to move for session one to sessions 2 and 3 (which I can't at the moment)

If u have any other suggestion besides the one above (which I will try), pls do let me know. I will ry it all out and pass the dvdr to my friends at one go since I see them only twice a week. Thks.

Looking at your question again about adding the wmv fils to Sonic app and burn.....is this to say that if I burn the wmv files using Sonic Digital media LE v7, it will automatically burn to a dvd format? Well, I don't think mine came out as dvd cos it only played on pc still with the wmv format. Anyway, your suggestion sound so much easier. How exactly should I be doing it. Thks again. Have to scoot now. It's 1am at my place. Chao

That's exactly how it looked. I checked and it is now DAO Closed. At the time I burned, it could have been something else because I have tried so many things to figure out my problem. I will burn this at DAO Closed and get back to you when my 2 friends have tested it (since my pc and player plays with no problem ).

Do u think DLA is something I should uninstall (when I did today)...

T answer your second question, if I just burned it in wmv file, the dvd plays on my pc but not on my dvd player. Ultimately, my goal is to be able to play on most dvd players (since I want to share the dvdrs) and be able to move for session one to sessions 2 and 3 (which I can't at the moment)

If u have any other suggestion besides the one above (which I will try), pls do let me know. I will ry it all out and pass the dvdr to my friends at one go since I see them only twice a week. Thks.

If it was me, I would uninstall the DLA app. It is not needed to burn data discs and is an unreliable (in many users opinion at least) form of burning data. Don;t confuse DLA with the data project you used, they are not the same.

What I was saying with burning the wmv file was not to do it as a data disc (like you burned the TS folders with), but to use the Video project section and create a DVD project to burn the wmv with instead of using the WinAvi product. That's what the Video DVD project section is for. Data burning is not for making DVD's for DVD players.

Oh dear, r u sayng there are two types of DLA.....I just went to Add/Remove prog, and removed the Sonic DLA. Is that the correct one? I see no other DLA

Yes, I knew I could get problems burnng as data and wanting it to play on all dvd players, but I just didn't know of any other options. Now that you mentioned the video project section, I want to try that too but have no idea how to start. Can you give me a few simple steps or is there a address I can go to to get step by step instruction. I would need everythin in simple instructions pls. Thanks again.

Oh dear, r u sayng there are two types of DLA.....I just went to Add/Remove prog, and removed the Sonic DLA. Is that the correct one? I see no other DLA

Yes, I knew I could get problems burnng as data and wanting it to play on all dvd players, but I just didn't know of any other options. Now that you mentioned the video project section, I want to try that too but have no idea how to start. Can you give me a few simple steps or is there a address I can go to to get step by step instruction. I would need everythin in simple instructions pls. Thanks again.

No there is only one product called DLA (which stands for Drive Letter Access). It is what's known as a "packet writing" program that tries to make a cd or dvd disc act like a floppy disk by formatting it. Something discs were never really made for. There are other similar products that do the same thing but have different names depending on who makes it (like InCD, DragToDisc, etc...). Making a Data disc using the part of the program you did is burning data on to the disc in a defferent way, called session burning. Which is reliable and what burning discs is meant for, when it comes to data.

As to the video stuff, just start a DVD video project (which will open MyDVD) and go to the help menu and select Tutorials and/or the Help option.

No there is only one product called DLA (which stands for Drive Letter Access). It is what's known as a "packet writing" program that tries to make a cd or dvd disc act like a floppy disk by formatting it. Something discs were never really made for. There are other similar products that do the same thing but have different names depending on who makes it (like InCD, DragToDisc, etc...). Making a Data disc using the part of the program you did is burning data on to the disc in a defferent way, called session burning. Which is reliable and what burning discs is meant for, when it comes to data.

As to the video stuff, just start a DVD video project (which will open MyDVD) and go to the help menu and select Tutorials and/or the Help option.

I went to Create Project , then DVD, then I chose my wmv file, put a title and burned 8x, PAL system for my country. Now that i play it on my dvd player,

1. the audio and video don't go together (how do I solve this pls)

2. the picture has a very very very slight double which is unnoticable but makes the whole kinda blurr compared to the one I converted with WinAvi.

I think I prefer the above to do my dvds (hopefully it works on my friends' Samsung n Sony), so pls help me out with Nos. 1 and 2 above.

Hmm, I never knew I could do this with Sonic. Do they capture streaming video too? :)