• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ruzicka

Running Easy Media Creator 9 causes Vista to change to basic

Question

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

I recently purchased Easy Media Creator 9, installed it on a Vista Premium machine, installed the lastest 32-bit patch...

Whenever I run Easy Media Creator 9, or have the file monitoring system active, Vista tells me that it is switching to basic mode (non-Aero), and will switch back when these programs stop running.

Can anyone tell me a fix for this?

Maybe I missed this in previous posts. If so, my apologies.

Also, and I don't know if this has to do with running on a Vista machine or not but, Easy Media Creator 9 does not "see" or accept some song files I purchased (by the track, not through subscription) online from URGE.com. The program tells me that I either do not have a proper burn license for these files, or the max number of burns was used. Neither of these are true.

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

The switch from Aero could be down to your graphics system - what card are you using and how much memory is on it? Also, have you updated the drivers from the card maker (and NOT from MS)?

The 'permissions' issue on your files is almost certainly Vista's DRM stopping you burning them

The switch from Aero could be down to your graphics system - what card are you using and how much memory is on it? Also, have you updated the drivers from the card maker (and NOT from MS)?

The 'permissions' issue on your files is almost certainly Vista's DRM stopping you burning them

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT OC graphics card with 256mb of memory and latest Nvidia drivers. Even running games with intensive graphics does not cause Vista to switch to basic.

What am I supposed to do about the Vista DRM thing? I thought installing the latest 32-bit patch solved this?

Thanks for the input!

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT OC graphics card with 256mb of memory and latest Nvidia drivers. Even running games with intensive graphics does not cause Vista to switch to basic.

What am I supposed to do about the Vista DRM thing? I thought installing the latest 32-bit patch solved this?

Thanks for the input!

DRM is DRM whether it's Vista or XP or Mac. It's made so that it's work to make backups of your music and that sucks. But, a quick search on the net will get you the info you need.

My guess is that songs purchased from Urge can only be burned with WMP.Since it's partially a Microsoft service that installs WMP11 when installed I think it's a reasonable guess.It would be just like only being able to burn songs from iTunes with the iTunes software.The burn license probably restricts you to burning with WMP.

Edited by tbrewst

My guess is that songs purchased from Urge can only be burned with WMP.Since it's partially a Microsoft service that installs WMP11 when installed I think it's a reasonable guess.It would be just like only being able to burn songs from iTunes with the iTunes software.The burn license probably restricts you to burning with WMP.

Thanks to everyone for the info regarding Easy Media Creator 9 not seeing some of my music files!

Now, getting back to the first question....does anyone know why Easy Media Creator 9 and the other included Roxio apps are forcing my Vista Premium to go into basic mode?

OK - put it this way

Rendering graphics is extremely CPU and GPU intensive - it takes just about everything available and even then takes a lot of time and power. This isn't peculiar to just Roxio - I have Poser here and when I go to 'flesh out' a still frame, the computer more or less locks up for 5 - 10 minutes as it does its job.

Pixar (who don't do their rendering on a desktop machine, but on 'farms' of multi-core, tons of RAM, dedicated machines) will tell you that the final rendering takes ages.

Running the Aero desktop is taking away from what is available to the rendering process - so it gets shut down (there simply isn't sufficient resources left to run it)

That is why we tell people who are having problems to shut down ALL background running apps - to let the computer have what it needs

OK - put it this way

Rendering graphics is extremely CPU and GPU intensive - it takes just about everything available and even then takes a lot of time and power. This isn't peculiar to just Roxio - I have Poser here and when I go to 'flesh out' a still frame, the computer more or less locks up for 5 - 10 minutes as it does its job.

Pixar (who don't do their rendering on a desktop machine, but on 'farms' of multi-core, tons of RAM, dedicated machines) will tell you that the final rendering takes ages.

Running the Aero desktop is taking away from what is available to the rendering process - so it gets shut down (there simply isn't sufficient resources left to run it)

That is why we tell people who are having problems to shut down ALL background running apps - to let the computer have what it needs

Okay, I'll take your word for it. It just seems odd to me that EMC9 would use so much more of the CPU and GPU, be so much more graphics intensive, than any of my extremely graphics intensive games or Adobe Photoshop, or anything else like that. None of these other graphics intensive apps causes my Vista to go into basic mode. I could perhaps see it if I was using EMC9 to edit some graphics, DVDs, etc, but I'm not. Just seems a bit strange to me. I never realized that EMC was such a resource hog!

Oh it ain't just EMC that's the resource hog - anything that has to do rendering will gobble up resources faster than you can throw them at it :P

Rendering is possibly THE most resource intensive thing going - and if you're rendering a 1 hour movie - you're best going watching TV while it does its thing because it will slow everything down to a crawl.

That's why we tell people to shut down all background apps while they do it

As I said, it's not just EMC - Poser on this machine is worse for slowing things down in render - 10 minutes for a complicated frame is nothing (and that's just ONE frame)

Oh it ain't just EMC that's the resource hog - anything that has to do rendering will gobble up resources faster than you can throw them at it :P

Rendering is possibly THE most resource intensive thing going - and if you're rendering a 1 hour movie - you're best going watching TV while it does its thing because it will slow everything down to a crawl.

That's why we tell people to shut down all background apps while they do it

As I said, it's not just EMC - Poser on this machine is worse for slowing things down in render - 10 minutes for a complicated frame is nothing (and that's just ONE frame)

Like I said, I'll take all of your words for it. All I'm saying though is that EMC is the ONLY program on my system right now that causes Vista to go into basic mode. Not Adobe Photoshop. Not any of my very graphic-intensive games. Not anything else. Only EMC. Nothing else needs to be running. I try to keep my startup apps to a bare minimum to preserve resources. But as soon as EMC starts up, or the Roxio file monitoring app starts up when I boot up my system, Vista goes into basic mode and stays there until I quip these programs. So it IS just EMC that is doing this.

It's doing it simply to get hold of the resources used in the Aero interface (which in itself takes up a lot)

It may be noticable because it doesn't run full screen where games etc will run that way.

Aero goes into "basic" when an incompatible application (either by it's own manifest or compatibility settings or Microsoft's list) is run, or if the program specifically turns off DWM by calling DwmEnableComposition(DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION).

It has nothing to do with the "intensity" of the application. That's just silly talk :blink:

I'm not sure if any unhandled DirectX or GDI exceptions from an incompatible application might cause DWM to have a hissy-fit, but that's possible as well. If you're using the latest and greatest nVidia driver, you might want to try going back a version to make sure it's not the driver's fault.

Check your event logs; it will probably tell you why DWM was disabled. You can also check the properties of the EMC shortcut (Compatibility tab) to see if "Disable Composition" has been checked for some reason.

Perhaps you would like to consider this article, always bearing in mind that ANY rendering, whether it be EMC video, Poser frames, etc IS extremely resource hungry

"...# On a high-end system, the performance hit of running with the Aero UI is close to negligible

# The lower the performance of the system, the greater the Aero effect will be (in other words, the less system resources you have available, the more you're going to feel it)..."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=107

With the utilisation of resources during render, the system WILL be dragged right down - that's a fact of life and even Pixar Studios will tell you that rendering is their biggest bottleneck

Perhaps you would like to consider this article, always bearing in mind that ANY rendering, whether it be EMC video, Poser frames, etc IS extremely resource hungry

"...# On a high-end system, the performance hit of running with the Aero UI is close to negligible

# The lower the performance of the system, the greater the Aero effect will be (in other words, the less system resources you have available, the more you're going to feel it)..."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=107

With the utilisation of resources during render, the system WILL be dragged right down - that's a fact of life and even Pixar Studios will tell you that rendering is their biggest bottleneck

I didn't say Aero with composition (glass) wasn't resource hungry, I said it won't turn itself off just because some 'intensive' application is running. Something needs to turn it off, be it the software itself or a compatibilty setting or perhaps even an exception ....

Quite likely the program does it - I wish it would learn to shut down all the other apps that everyone seems to run no matter what OS is involved, but that's a hoss of a really different colour :lol:

Quite likely the program does it - I wish it would learn to shut down all the other apps that everyone seems to run no matter what OS is involved, but that's a hoss of a really different colour :lol:

True dat my friend, true dat :lol:

True dat my friend, true dat :lol:

Ok...so it might not have any at all to do with how graphic-intensive EMC might or might not be. Guess I'll just have to live with it!

Thank to all of you for the education! :)

The basic rule in anything to do with video rendering is to shut down EVERYTHING that isn't needed for the process and then go off and eat your dinner, watch some TV or anything. It does require just about everything the computer has to spare and instant messengers, etc do eat into that.

Anyway - lecture over, go have some fun with it :lol:

I know this is an old post but just in case anyone reads this try changing the Power Scheme in Vista to Balanced.I read on a Microsoft site that this may do the trick.