Editing/burning Dvds Using Emc8 And Tivo

dpeteual1

Question

I have tried many ways to Edit out commercials from a TIVO to GO file and burn it to DVD. Here are my conclusions.

The best has been MyDVD 6.1. This has worked well and is relatively fast for editing. It has not worked well for burning a DVD to my DVD burner, but I can burn to a DVD file on the hard drive and used Roxio Disk Copier to copy to a DVD.

Then I tried VideoWave 8 to edit the TIVO file. I found this very slow. It was even extremely slow just to open and display the files in the folder view. It was then extremely slow to edit the file.

To check the Speed of VideoWave 8 versus VideoWave 7, I tried using a standard 1 hour .MPG file edited to 40 minutes. Editing in VideoWave 8 was just as slow as it was with a TIVO file (unbelievably slow). Editing in VideoWave 7 was extremely fast and responsive.

To test the burning speed using EMC 7, I then edited the 40 minute VideoWave 7 production to 5 minutes and sent the VideoWave 7 production to DVD Builder for burning. I burnt to an image file on my hard disk. The burning process took 8 minutes. I then copied the image to a DVD using Disk Copier from EMC7.

To test the burning speed using EMC8, I then edited the 40 minute VideoWave 8 production to 5 minutes and sent the VideoWave 8 production to MyDVD 8 for burning. I burnt to an image file on my hard disk. The burning process took 35 minutes. I then copied the image to a DVD using Disk Copier from EMC8. The quality was not better than EMC7 in fact it appeared slightly worse. Also the size of the image and the amount of DVD space used was significantly more using MyDVD 8 the using DVD Builder 7.

The final question then becomes, why would you buy EMC8 when EMC7 does a better job. If you really need to burn TIVO to GO, you need MyDVD 6.1 if you want to be legal. If you don’t, get Direct Show Dump to make an .mpg form the .tivo and use EMC7.

1 answer to this question

Archived