CONVERTING

Bubbard

Question

:blink:

Hello.

I have a bunch of .avi files on from my canon SD1000 camera that I would like to edit. The video editing software says this is some kind of non-standard format and can lead to errors. Well, it does lead to errors and the picture is distorted. How can I use Roxio to convert the files into a standard medium like MPEG? I can then edit them and make a video out of my video files.

Thank you.

BJ

1 answer to this question

:blink:

Hello.

I have a bunch of .avi files on from my canon SD1000 camera that I would like to edit. The video editing software says this is some kind of non-standard format and can lead to errors. Well, it does lead to errors and the picture is distorted. How can I use Roxio to convert the files into a standard medium like MPEG? I can then edit them and make a video out of my video files.

Thank you.

BJ

This was moved because the location you posted is for people who have a tip or information to share based on something they learned and not because of a question.

If you can get the AVI files into Video Wave, you can either output then to a mpg2 file for DVD. I suggest this first in case you want to do any editing or put the individual clips together. If you want the clips separate and do not need to edit, just add them as individual movies in MyDVD and then burn them to a disc. In the tips and tricks area, there is a post about one way of doing it. You could read that for more detailed information.

Now, what Roxio product do you have there are many and each would be slightly different in functionality. What computer do you have? Please put your computer information in your signature via My Controls at the top of this page and then edit signature.

I saw that camera as a digital still image camera; is that correct? Are you sure those are avi files? They may be a proprietary avi format developed by Cannon and you would have to use their software to do the conversion. A lot of digital camera take mov (Quicktime) files.

Added later: That camera takes avi files but they are motion jpeg files. I know there was a discussion about them earlier and I do not believe that the normal Roxio programs support motion jpegs. Can you use the software that came with the camera to do the conversion? Perhaps the newer versions do; I'm not really clear on that. Perhaps one of these might help.

Archived