Weird Dvd-rom Drive Problem! Help!

jimsisti@adelphia.net

Question

I can't figure this one out at all...

I have a HP Pavilion with two optical drives - 1 is a DVD writer, the other a reader. Whenever I copy an audio disc on the fly, the burn is fine and everything is normal but for some reason, when I exit the program, the DVD-ROM is now unable to recognize DVD discs. It will read audio discs and data discs (and the writer can read everything; it's apparently unaffected by whatever this is), but it won't read DVDs. If I reboot, everything is hunky-dory again and the drive plays DVDs fine (unless I copy an audio CD again...)

I initially thought that this was software related (and it still could be) but the problem occurs no matter what burning software I use. I've used Nero in addition to Roxio. Every time I copy an audio disc, something is turning off the DVD read capabilities of the DVD-ROM drive.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? It's a fairly new system and it's far from a crippling problem. It's just annoying the hell out of me. I'd appreciate any enlightenment...

2 answers to this question

I have a HP Pavilion with two optical drives - 1 is a DVD writer, the other a reader. Whenever I copy an audio disc on the fly, the burn is fine and everything is normal but for some reason, when I exit the program, the DVD-ROM is now unable to recognize DVD discs. It will read audio discs and data discs (and the writer can read everything; it's apparently unaffected by whatever this is), but it won't read DVDs. If I reboot, everything is hunky-dory again and the drive plays DVDs fine (unless I copy an audio CD again...)

I initially thought that this was software related (and it still could be) but the problem occurs no matter what burning software I use. I've used Nero in addition to Roxio. Every time I copy an audio disc, something is turning off the DVD read capabilities of the DVD-ROM drive.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? It's a fairly new system and it's far from a crippling problem. It's just annoying the hell out of me. I'd appreciate any enlightenment...

The reboot release's the drive, something has control of the drive. I never have this problem wxp sp2. Disable auto insert notification's for everything, when you put a cd or dvd in nothing launches to play the disc. Make sure all software apps are not running no icons or hidden inactive icons, like Roxio home and Nero smart start. Try closing the app before ejecting the disc.

cdanteek

Been there, done that. Reboot between burns. It really can be annoying, but most of the time, I don't have that problem. I just automatically reboot, anyway. :)

Archived