• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
ajchatel

Burning Jpg Pic Files To Cd-r

Hey there. I don't quite know what is causing it. After burning pics to a CD-R disc using import previous session, some pics(not all of them) when viewing with explorer or other programs are missing the bottom quarter of the pic. I'm pretty sure I had everthing shutdown that didn't need to be running, unless using the 8x speed isn't reliable enough. Just wondering if someone else has come across the problem? Thanks in advance!!

I've not come across that before.

If burning at 8x isn't working properly your machine should be reporting a disc fault - CRC error or similar - so if you're not getting an error reported then it's unlikely your 8x "isn't reliable enough".

Perhaps we need to look at what's happening to the files?

-do the originals display properly before they are sent to the CD?

-if the copies are displaying strangely when shown from the CD, how do they display when copied back to the hard drive?

-are the copies on the CD smaller than the originals? (are they truncated?)

-if they are the same size, are their contents identical? (you can compare them in a command prompt window with comp.exe, using the command "COMP file1 file2")

Hey Brendon t. The originals showed up fine, before copying to the CD. If I copy one back from the CD to my harddrive, it still has part of the bottom of the picture not showing up properly. I burned about 12-15 pics to the CD-R disc in a session, and most of them show up fine on the CD-R, but some don't. Out of the 12-15 pics that were burned to the CD-R, about five of them don't show up properly either on my CD-R, or on my hard drive after copying them back. As for the same size as the originals, I don't have them anymore, so I can't tell you. From now on, I will keep my originals until I'm satisfied with the ones I burned to the CD-R disc. I think I did try burning at 8x, but don't know if that caused it or not. Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

You're more than welcome to any help I can give you, at any time.

It's a pity we can't get right down to the bottom of that problem. I have found that JPGs sometimes get their bottom half cut off when I'm downloading them, but I've not heard of them getting their bottom halves sawed off when they're being burned. I guess we won't know, if you don't now have the originals.

I've been quoted often for my saying about "never trust your only copy of a precious file to a packet-written disc" but I think it is also a wise idea not to get rid of originals until you are certain that backups are going to work or copies have copied properly. Computers are terrible creatures, and will misbehave if you give them the slightest chance to do so. (grin)

Go well, and good fortune.

Guest mlpasley

I'm also wondering if you're using the same program to view the pictures on the CD that you used to edit the pictures. Not all programs will display pictures in the same way and will cut off part of the picture that you see.

Thanks for the replies! I've viewed them with different programs, and they still get cut off at the bottom of the picutre. From now on, before I get rid of my originals, I'll make sure the burned ones are okay. Many thanks for your trying to help me out! Keep up the great work!!! :)