• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Jon Hall

Things I've Learned

Question

Well....it was either here or "Burning Issues"....

I've had EMC9 for almost a year now and I've both fallen in love with it and wanted to smack it upside the head with a large heavy object on occasion. This post is merely to let people know of what problems I've had and how I've solved them or to throw out a thing or two I haven't seen covered in these forums (possibly because they're TOO simple).

1. VCGProxyFileManager9 - in VideoWave and MyDVD - "When you see it....let it run" I have read tons of posts on how this is a memory hog. It is true! My experience....let it run it's course before doing anything.....only takes (as my experience goes) a couple of mins. at most. Let it do WHATEVER it's doing and then proceed....it's MUCH faster!

2. Burn to .iso - then, load it on a virtual drive and preview in CinePlayer. CinePlyer will show you your WHOLE project....menus included whereas the disc copier wont.

3. If you want to capture a still image.....do it through Media Manager > right click your file > etxract image....using the image capture function in VideoWave will give you a less than desirable sized image.

I'm sure I'll think of other things I've weathered but until then this is what I've got.

I'd like to briefly thank all the other people who continuously post their findings and responses to this forum....without you I'd still be LEAGUES BEHIND!

Thanks again,

Jon

***Edit on 5/28/2007***

4. If you have an external HDD for storage connected via USB, DO NOT try to edit video files on this drive with EMC9 installed on your main drive. Video rendering and USB are not a happy couple. I found this out the hard way after several days cursing EMC9 for "freezing up". I now do all editing on the same drive EMC9 is installed on and then transfer to storage drive with much more fluid results.

Edited by Jon Hall

12 answers to this question

Well....it was either here or "Burning Issues"....

I've had EMC9 for almost a year now and I've both fallen in love with it and wanted to smack it upside the head with a large heavy object on occasion. This post is merely to let people know of what problems I've had and how I've solved them or to throw out a thing or two I haven't seen covered in these forums (possibly because they're TOO simple).

1. VCGProxyFileManager9 - in VideoWave and MyDVD - "When you see it....let it run" I have read tons of posts on how this is a memory hog. It is true! My experience....let it run it's course before doing anything.....only takes (as my experience goes) a couple of mins. at most. Let it do WHATEVER it's doing and then proceed....it's MUCH faster!

2. Burn to .iso - then, load it on a virtual drive and preview in CinePlayer. CinePlyer will show you your WHOLE project....menus included whereas the disc copier wont.

3. If you want to capture a still image.....do it through Media Manager > right click your file > etxract image....using the image capture function in VideoWave will give you a less than desirable sized image.

I'm sure I'll think of other things I've weathered but until then this is what I've got.

I'd like to briefly thank all the other people who continuously post their findings and responses to this forum....without you I'd still be LEAGUES BEHIND!

Thanks again,

Jon

Good post. Now you will be gettiing replies asking how to do the above. :rolleyes:

You can also burn to 'video folder' which can be played back with software like Cineplayer and PowerDVD. That is what I do to test out the menus. If everything is ok, I use Disc Copier to burn the folder.

Thanks Jon for posting back. Sometimes just those "easy" and "Simple" things can be a pain, but once you find out how they work, it's great. Come on back with any other findings you might have to offer. I'm sure there are many users that can benefit.

Frank...

Good Post. We should all do the same and have Roxio Index them better.

Quick question about your USB Drive scenario - would it never work for you or was intermittent under constant "loads"?

The reason I ask, having worked in the LAN/MAN/WAN/SAN business for 25 years, is that I have a 200GB NAS (Network Attached Storage) on a 100Mb Ethernet segment augmenting the 250GB of my Primary Desktop (EMC9 loaded here) - in all, a TB of network storage in my home office.

In some cases I have had the Project Source files (some or all) on the NAS - other projects on the desktop with EMC. This issue just remotely crossed my mind but with all the spooling and buffering available today, I NEVER really thought about this a potentially problematic set-up.

Occasionally, there's a "burning" hiccup - but you may right

Good Post.

We should all do the same and have Roxio Index them better.

Quick question about your USB Drive scenario - would it never work for you or was intermittent under constant "loads"?

The reason I ask, having worked in the LAN/MAN/WAN/SAN business for 25 years, is that I have 200GB NAS (Network Attached Storage) connected on a 100Mb Ethernet segment augmenting 250GB on my Primary Desktop (EMC9 loaded here) - in all, a TB of network storage in my home office.

In some cases I have had the Project Source files (some or all) on the NAS - other projects on the desktop with EMC. This issue just remotely crossed my mind but with all the spooling and buffering available today, I NEVER really thought about this as a potentially problematic set-up and after 4 years, never noticed the correlation.

Occasionally, there's a "burning" hiccup - but you may be right - this software may not be suitably "network enabled". Is there any testimony from Roxio on the subject?

Now the "burning question": What Disc format is best (reliable burns and playback) and why ? :)

this software may not be suitably "network enabled". Is there any testimony from Roxio on the subject?
As far as I know, no version of EMC has been 'network' enabled.

It was intermittent to the point where it was MUCH more efficient to transfer the file from the USB2 storage drive to the main HDD to edit it.

For example - removing commercials from a 1 hour show via the Timeline in Video Wave

USB2 Drive: When I would drag the slide bar my mouse pointer would move but the slide bar would hang for 3-4 seconds then shoot over to where my pointer was (which, of course, was nowhere near the beginning or end of a commercial). I would then make a small, corrective drag and the slide bar would hang for even longer. After about 3 days of this torture, quite a few hours on this forum, and much cursing of my graphics card I slapped myself in the head and moved my file to......

SATA/150 Drive: Now removing 18 mins worth of commercials from a 1 hour show in about 2-3 mins

HUGE difference in speed.

Now the "burning question": What Disc format is best (reliable burns and playback) and why ? :)

I burn, mainly, (2) 1 hour shows (edited about ~42 mins each) on each DVD with an audio menu. I recently bought a cake box of (50) Verbatim DataLifePlus 4.7GB 8X DVD+R for about $18 (shipping included) from New Egg. The only coasters I've burnt so far (2) were my own fault and I've got about (10) left. All the others burned without issue and play on 3 different DVD players. I've personally never had a problem with any Verbatim products.

You can also burn to 'video folder' which can be played back with software like Cineplayer and PowerDVD. That is what I do to test out the menus. If everything is ok, I use Disc Copier to burn the folder.

Ok - sorry to sound like an idiot, but I'm not quite as technically minded. How do you burn to .iso or to the 'video file'? What steps?

Once you finish your project in MyDVD, press the "Burn" icon. The window that pops up gives you the choice of of creaqting an image file (*.iso) or a video folder set.

Edited by malatekid

Once you finish your project in MyDVD, press the "Burn" icon. The window that pops up gives you the choice of of creaqting an image file (*.iso) or a video folder set.

I haven't even had any success getting through the Slideshow Assistant - I'm supposed to use MyDVD now? :huh:

I haven't even had any success getting through the Slideshow Assistant - I'm supposed to use MyDVD now? :huh:

Build your production in VideoWave, save it, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, click on Add Movie, browse to the file (.dmsm) you saved in VideoWave, bring it into MyDVD, make your menus and whatever else you want to do, then burn it to an image (.iso) file, then burn it to a DVD, using Disc Copier.

It would be better if you stayed with your other post. This forum really is not for solving problems like you posted in the other thread.

It was intermittent to the point where it was MUCH more efficient to transfer the file from the USB2 storage drive to the main HDD to edit it.

For example - removing commercials from a 1 hour show via the Timeline in Video Wave

USB2 Drive: When I would drag the slide bar my mouse pointer would move but the slide bar would hang for 3-4 seconds then shoot over to where my pointer was (which, of course, was nowhere near the beginning or end of a commercial). I would then make a small, corrective drag and the slide bar would hang for even longer. After about 3 days of this torture, quite a few hours on this forum, and much cursing of my graphics card I slapped myself in the head and moved my file to......

SATA/150 Drive: Now removing 18 mins worth of commercials from a 1 hour show in about 2-3 mins

HUGE difference in speed.

I burn, mainly, (2) 1 hour shows (edited about ~42 mins each) on each DVD with an audio menu. I recently bought a cake box of (50) Verbatim DataLifePlus 4.7GB 8X DVD+R for about $18 (shipping included) from New Egg. The only coasters I've burnt so far (2) were my own fault and I've got about (10) left. All the others burned without issue and play on 3 different DVD players. I've personally never had a problem with any Verbatim products.

I understand the delays with USB. Has anyone experienced delays, or maybe performace increases using a second "internal" drive? Seems like that would be the best scenario as disk access for the actual video is not interrupted by Roxio's disk access for .dlls and so on which would most likely be on the first internal drive. Depending on whether you have SATA or several IDE/SCSI controllers and so on.

Sorry, I cut my teeth on mainframes and can sometimes utilize performance enhancing methods that work there, on a PC also. But not on old 8086 and 286 machines. Those were a nightmare, LOL.