Poor Sound Quality Transferring Cassettes to PC Using Capture

SteveDrummer

Question

I have begun transferring old cassette recordings from a cassette recorder to my PC. The sound of the original is pretty poor, I admit, but I assumed the same poor sound would duplicate to my PC so I could at least burn a CD. Instead, the sound is much worse. When I copy from cassette to cassette, the sound is almost identical. Any way to get better sound when going from cassette to PC using the Sound Capture device? Do newer versions of Roxio improve the sound?

1 answer to this question

I have begun transferring old cassette recordings from a cassette recorder to my PC. The sound of the original is pretty poor, I admit, but I assumed the same poor sound would duplicate to my PC so I could at least burn a CD. Instead, the sound is much worse. When I copy from cassette to cassette, the sound is almost identical. Any way to get better sound when going from cassette to PC using the Sound Capture device? Do newer versions of Roxio improve the sound?

It sounds like you're recording either through the microphone input, which your cassette output it much too high for, or you've got the settings for your sound card turned up too high so it's clipping. As you expect, you should be able to recreate on your PC, almost exactly the same sound you've got on your tape. So, check your input levels, and the input port you're using. If you see a recording level, and if it gets up into the "Red" or says "clip", then you need to turn down the recordng input.

Hope that helps!

Archived