• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Running Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier from Dell

Izzie

Question

Hello,

I hope I have chosen the right forum. I have a new Dell computer running Windows Vista. I purchased Roxio Creator and MyDVD 9.0 Premier with the computer and it came installed. I am a longtime Roxio user and had Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 installed on my old machine. I do sports slide shows for my kids' teams on DVD using still photography and music. I don't use any transitions usually because I have so many pictures.

Anyway, on my new machine which is an XPS 410, dual core, the program is driving me crazy because when I go to do Fit Audio and Video, the pictures last a few seconds longer than the music. In EMC 7, the program would match up the audio and video precisely, within 1/100 of a second. My current project has 994 pictures and not quite 18 minutes of music. The Fit Audio and Video assigns 1.07 seconds to each photo which is too much. Then, I try to adjust the duration of the photo to 1.06 or 1.05 and it jumps down to 1.03. The only durations it will allow in my range are 1.03 or 1.07, which makes no sense to me because it is a computer for crying out loud and should be able to do stuff like this easily.

So, my questions are:

1. Did Dell give me some rinky-dink version of the program? I paid maybe in the $70 range for it so I would expect the full version because that's about what you can buy it for at Sam's.

2. Why is it doing this???? My old version would do this no problem even with way more pictures, upwards of 1600 photos.

3. On my old version, I would choose Video Wave to do my production in. I don't seem to have that option, I get taken to MyDVD which looks like Video Wave but isn't called Video Wave. It has all the functionality I need, except for the duration problem. Maybe this is a version 9 thing.

Thanks for any info,

Liz

8 answers to this question

What product did you purchase, and who did you purchase it from?

If you bought "MyDVD Studio", you bought a toned down version of MyDVD. ($49.99 @ roxio website)

If you bought "MyDVD Studio Premier", you bought the MyDVD portion of EMC 9. ($69.99 @ roxio website)

If you bought "Easy Media Creator 9", you got the full suite, including VideoWave. ($79.99 @ roxio website)

From the sounds of the price you paid, you either bought the MyDVD Studio Premier, or MyDVD Studio. If this is the case, you unfortunately have no access to VideoWave.

The "full" version you are referring to is probably "Easy Media Creator 9" (EMC 9).

Now, to address your actual problem.

Add Slideshow

I did some testing to double check this, and if you used the slideshow assistant to add all of your photos, the minimum time that MyDVD allows you to have your photos displayed for is 2.00 seconds.

With 18 minutes of audio, thats 590 pictures, so that might be where your problem is fitting in.

Add new Movie

If you go to add new movie, and then select "edit movie", you wind up in a Videowave-esque screen. I'm not sure what will happen if you do this in your MyDVD Studio [Premier?].

From here you can much more easily customize how your photos are displayed, but it will take much more time to do.

I was able to highlite a few photos and add them with the "Add new Movie" button from the MyDVD main menu, and it just threw them in a movie with no transitions, and the default duration. You can just edit the length of the photos from here.

And now for the last part

Because this program is MyDVD, the standard for DVDs is a certain number of frames per second. If your settings were 30 frames per second, doing the math thats 0.033 seconds per frame, which would explain the amount that it is letting you change the duration by. (1.07-1.03 = 0.04, but if you increase it from 1.07, it jumps to 1.10 which = 0.03. So the program rounds.)

Potential workaround

Do the "Add New Movie" method, and just make the last slide 2 or 3 seconds longer than it usually is to make up for the extra audio time.

Hello,

I hope I have chosen the right forum. I have a new Dell computer running Windows Vista. I purchased Roxio Creator and MyDVD 9.0 Premier with the computer and it came installed. I am a longtime Roxio user and had Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 installed on my old machine. I do sports slide shows for my kids' teams on DVD using still photography and music. I don't use any transitions usually because I have so many pictures.

Anyway, on my new machine which is an XPS 410, dual core, the program is driving me crazy because when I go to do Fit Audio and Video, the pictures last a few seconds longer than the music. In EMC 7, the program would match up the audio and video precisely, within 1/100 of a second. My current project has 994 pictures and not quite 18 minutes of music. The Fit Audio and Video assigns 1.07 seconds to each photo which is too much. Then, I try to adjust the duration of the photo to 1.06 or 1.05 and it jumps down to 1.03. The only durations it will allow in my range are 1.03 or 1.07, which makes no sense to me because it is a computer for crying out loud and should be able to do stuff like this easily.

So, my questions are:

1. Did Dell give me some rinky-dink version of the program? I paid maybe in the $70 range for it so I would expect the full version because that's about what you can buy it for at Sam's.

2. Why is it doing this???? My old version would do this no problem even with way more pictures, upwards of 1600 photos.

3. On my old version, I would choose Video Wave to do my production in. I don't seem to have that option, I get taken to MyDVD which looks like Video Wave but isn't called Video Wave. It has all the functionality I need, except for the duration problem. Maybe this is a version 9 thing.

Thanks for any info,

Liz

You need this download : 1. Urgent Xps410 Link : http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=197795

Hello,

So, my questions are:

Thanks for any info,

Liz

Liz # 2. Patch for vista 32 bit,

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=213922

Liz 1 at a time download I have same system. 1 is urgent, other is needed.

Thank you for the information. I purchased the software from Dell which came already installed on my computer for $68.24. When you bring Roxio Home up, it says Easy Media Creator 9. The disk says Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier. It seems like I should have the full version since it says it's Easy Media Creator 9 although it gives me the option to upgrade to Easy Media Creator 9 Suite for $69.99.

When adding pictures, I did not use Slideshow Assistant. I went into MyDVD and added them by selecting Add Photos. This is on the "Videowave-esque" screen. It has no problem letting me select a duration less than 2 seconds but it has to be .97, 1.03, 1.07, etc. so you are right, the program is apparently rounding. I don't see anywhere where you select frames per second though. I am trying to put in the duration and apply to all frames in the project. When I put in 1.06 or 1.05 it jumps up to 1.07 which is making me crazy. I know how to work around it, it is just a big pain. I selected 1.03 seconds per frame and added time on some of the frames, one at a time. With 994 pictures, the time difference at .04 seconds per frame is over 39 seconds which is a lot of manipulation.

Thanks again for the info. I am just frustrated because my Roxio 7 worked great and did exactly what I wanted it to and my 9 doesn't and apparently I can't use my version 7 with Vista.

Liz

Thank you for the information. I purchased the software from Dell which came already installed on my computer for $68.24. When you bring Roxio Home up, it says Easy Media Creator 9. The disk says Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 Premier. It seems like I should have the full version since it says it's Easy Media Creator 9 although it gives me the option to upgrade to Easy Media Creator 9 Suite for $69.99.

When adding pictures, I did not use Slideshow Assistant. I went into MyDVD and added them by selecting Add Photos. This is on the "Videowave-esque" screen. It has no problem letting me select a duration less than 2 seconds but it has to be .97, 1.03, 1.07, etc. so you are right, the program is apparently rounding. I don't see anywhere where you select frames per second though. I am trying to put in the duration and apply to all frames in the project. When I put in 1.06 or 1.05 it jumps up to 1.07 which is making me crazy. I know how to work around it, it is just a big pain. I selected 1.03 seconds per frame and added time on some of the frames, one at a time. With 994 pictures, the time difference at .04 seconds per frame is over 39 seconds which is a lot of manipulation.

Thanks again for the info. I am just frustrated because my Roxio 7 worked great and did exactly what I wanted it to and my 9 doesn't and apparently I can't use my version 7 with Vista.

Liz

994 images in 18 minutes? Thats only 1 sec per photo, barely enough time to see what the picture is about. Why do you want such a short duration?

994 images in 18 minutes? Thats only 1 sec per photo, barely enough time to see what the picture is about. Why do you want such a short duration?

They are fast action sports photos and I make them for middle school and high school age kids with video game attention spans. The kids love them and the adults have to pay very close attention.

Any faster and you'd be in trouble with the authorities for showing subliminal stuff

Hey, I never thought of that. Since my own kids are on the team, I'm going to start inserting "Clean your room" and "Do your homework".

Archived