avoiding multiplexing

numroe

Question

I am using Toast 7.1.2 on an 800MHz ibook G4 with (new) 7200 rpm 80GB HDD, with FireWire LaCie extern tray burner. btw, I will get a much faster Macbook when 10.5 comes out, but that looks like being October or later :(

Regarding burning multiple mini-DVD 8cm video titles to one 12cm DVD-video disc, I have some questions, if anyone can help:

1) Can I somehow avoid the multiplexing step?? I am perfectly happy with the video and audio encoding in the original titles from my Sony DVD handycam in HQ mode. I am curious about why multiplexing is necessary. It takes ages on my slow computer. fyi, my converted items folder contains .mpg and .mpg.xml files (only).

2) I bought and installed the Apple Quicktime MPEG2 option, but why cannot I preview any "converted items"?

3) In the "Video" tab/mode, how can I burn to an image file rather than a disc? ie. author/combine "converted items" which I assume are mpeg2 video+audio files, into a DVD-Video (UDF) image.

4) When reading/importing DVD titles off a non-protected (home movie) disc which has a media error, can I configure Toast 7.1.2 to keep the portion of video successfully read, rather than failing/discarding the entire attempt? ie. partial read/save.

Thanks and I hopefully any answers interest some other users.

3 answers to this question

1) Can I somehow avoid the multiplexing step?? I am perfectly happy with the video and audio encoding in the original titles from my Sony DVD handycam in HQ mode. I am curious about why multiplexing is necessary. It takes ages on my slow computer. fyi, my converted items folder contains .mpg and .mpg.xml files (only).

Multiplexing is a necessary step in creating the VOBs that are part of the video DVD architecture. It cannot be avoided when you need Toast to author the video DVD (e.g. create the VIDEO_TS folder). But this should go quickly. I have a 933mhz G4 iBook and the multiplexing only takes a few minutes. Describe the process you used to extract the video and how long the multiplexing is taking. How much RAM does your iBook have? Mine has just 768 MB of RAM.

2) I bought and installed the Apple Quicktime MPEG2 option, but why cannot I preview any "converted items"?

Use the freeware MPEG Streamclip to preview those MPEGs.

3) In the "Video" tab/mode, how can I burn to an image file rather than a disc? ie. author/combine "converted items" which I assume are mpeg2 video+audio files, into a DVD-Video (UDF) image.

Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu.

4) When reading/importing DVD titles off a non-protected (home movie) disc which has a media error, can I configure Toast 7.1.2 to keep the portion of video successfully read, rather than failing/discarding the entire attempt? ie. partial read/save.

If Toast can't complete the extraction of the MPEG then it discards the partial file. You might try extraction using MPEG Streamclip. Choose Convert to MPEG from Streamclip's File menu. Also you can use Streamclip to repair timecode breaks if they are present (Edit menu).

Thank you!

I have 640MB (512+128) of RAM.

I'll try reading the "dirty" dvd-video discs with streamclip first, then dragging the clips over.

But I don't understand how (with Streamclip and Toast7 running at the same time), I can use streamclip to preview specific titles or chapters which the Toast GUI shows to me. Please re-explain.

numroe.

Multiplexing is a necessary step in creating the VOBs that are part of the video DVD architecture. It cannot be avoided when you need Toast to author the video DVD (e.g. create the VIDEO_TS folder). But this should go quickly. I have a 933mhz G4 iBook and the multiplexing only takes a few minutes. Describe the process you used to extract the video and how long the multiplexing is taking. How much RAM does your iBook have? Mine has just 768 MB of RAM.

Use the freeware MPEG Streamclip to preview those MPEGs.

Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu.

If Toast can't complete the extraction of the MPEG then it discards the partial file. You might try extraction using MPEG Streamclip. Choose Convert to MPEG from Streamclip's File menu. Also you can use Streamclip to repair timecode breaks if they are present (Edit menu).

Thank you!

I have 640MB (512+128) of RAM.

I'll try reading the "dirty" dvd-video discs with streamclip first, then dragging the clips over.

But I don't understand how (with Streamclip and Toast7 running at the same time), I can use streamclip to preview specific titles or chapters which the Toast GUI shows to me. Please re-explain.

numroe.

You can open in Streamclip the extracted MPEGs that are in the Converted Items folder. I just control-click on them and choose Open with... from the contextual menu.

Archived