• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This is what worked for me

jroc

Question

Thought maybe a new thread might help, especially if others who've solved Vista/EMC9 incompatibility problems will chime in with what worked for them.

I got a new Dell XPS 410 about a month ago. Since then I've been on an endless merry-go-round with webticket support suggestions and countless clean installs, always to no avail until today. I also use Norton Internet Security 2007 and suspected that's where the problem ultimately was. Throughout these uninstalls and reinstalls I would go to msconfig, click on the Startup tab and Disable All, then on to the Services tab and disable anything related to Symantec (Norton's parent company). The fresh install invariably gave me a partially working EMC9, with most features completely useless. Today I went to msconfig, disabled all startup items, went to the Services tab, checked Hide all Microsoft services, then Disable All and restarted the computer.

I followed all the instructions in the Clean Install Instructions for Creator 9 on Windows Vista. I don't have the link handy but it's available in these forums. I reinstalled the main EMC9 disk (with Startup and Services disabled in msconfig) but NOT the Contents disk as I'd always done before. (By the way, if you get the message that "The driver is blocked due to compatibility issues" click on "Check for solutions online" and follow the path to a patch from Roxio that will fix that.) Anyway, the install was successful but when I went to VideoWave or other members of the EMC9 Video family I would get the codecs need to be activated message, followed by "no permission - bad installation." I went to http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/patchapp.zip and downloaded that patch, unzipped it, ran it and that took care of the activation problem.

Lo and behold, everything appeared to be working except Audio Capture. I restarted the computer again, then installed the Contents disk--still with Startup and Services disabled in msconfig--restarted after that and, with the exception of Audio Capture, EMC9 is finally working. Somewhere in the list of programs under the Services tab, and apparently something other than Symantec apps, there was something that had always been interfering with my installs.

I doubt if any of this will help anyone else, but if it can.... Hey, maybe after 117-zillion reinstalls I just happened to hold my mouth right.

13 answers to this question

Glad you got it working finally.

I'd be willing to bet that the Audio Capture problem has to do with your sound device.On my machine at home I have Vista and can't use Easy Audio Capture if I try and use my Sound Blaster Audigy.I can however if I use the onboard sound on the motherboard.It has to do with the inputs that are available.What you might try doing is going in to the control panel,sound and right clicking on one of the entries in the recording tab and then clicking "show disabled devices".You may be able to enable an input that will allow you to capture.You also need to make your choice the default.

Sound is one thing that got really weird with Vista.

Totally FWIW...

RE: Audio recording

In the Creative forums they had a couple of detailed posts by the reps: in a nutshell apparently in Vista the combination of no kernel drivers & no DX direct access to DSPs threw the audio hardware companies quite a curve... Personally while waiting for them to get things sorted out, I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a USB &/or firewire device with real Vista drivers, and doing my recording in XP. :rolleyes:

RE: Installation

Just a quick note -- personal opinion and all that: Personally I'm a bit hesitant to turn off all services etc. unless I'm also unplugged from the internet. I'm probably too paranoid, & probably nothing to worry about, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Thanks

I'm trying to capture streaming audio from the net.
From everything that I have read, this is no longer allowed in Vista and is part the Digital Right Management. For any audio card to be 'certified' for Vista, the software can not allow recording of 'what you hear' or 'stereo mix' any more.

jroc, YOU ROCK!!!! After weeding through the forum from front to back I came across your post that sounded the most like what I was experiencing and followed it to a tee. It works!!!!! I haven't put it to a tough test yet, but at least it doesn't look like one of those trial versions before you pay to get all the good features.

Thank you very much!!!!!

So is Audio Capture not capturing the line in?Or,are you trying to capture streaming audio from the net?

If it's the line in it should work.If it's streaming I doubt it's going to work with those input choices.

I'm trying to capture streaming audio from the net. It worked perfectly with XP but now I have only the three Capture From choices mentioned above (don't remember now if I had more choices than that in XP, it's been awhile and I'm a card carrying codger). I have no selections to choose from in Input as Input is grayed out, as are Recording Level and the L R audio bars.

Yep,that's the problem in Vista.I'd be willing to bet that in XP you had more choices for your sound card.I know I did.Again it all comes down to the way that Vista handles sound and the way that existing sound cards process it.

There's a real good chance that you won't be able to get the streaming internet to work.Looks like you don't get the right choices for inputs in Vista.You need something like "wave" or "what you hear".I know that I don't get these now with my Audigy but did in XP.

A really cheesy way around it may be to take your output for your speakers and loop it to the line in jack.This may or may not work.

Glad you got it working finally.

I'd be willing to bet that the Audio Capture problem has to do with your sound device.On my machine at home I have Vista and can't use Easy Audio Capture if I try and use my Sound Blaster Audigy.I can however if I use the onboard sound on the motherboard.It has to do with the inputs that are available.What you might try doing is going in to the control panel,sound and right clicking on one of the entries in the recording tab and then clicking "show disabled devices".You may be able to enable an input that will allow you to capture.You also need to make your choice the default.

Sound is one thing that got really weird with Vista.

Did as you suggested but it didn't change anything. Or rather, inputs are still only Microphone, Rear mic and Line In.

So is Audio Capture not capturing the line in?Or,are you trying to capture streaming audio from the net?

If it's the line in it should work.If it's streaming I doubt it's going to work with those input choices.

Yep,that's the problem in Vista.I'd be willing to bet that in XP you had more choices for your sound card.I know I did.Again it all comes down to the way that Vista handles sound and the way that existing sound cards process it.

There's a real good chance that you won't be able to get the streaming internet to work.Looks like you don't get the right choices for inputs in Vista.You need something like "wave" or "what you hear".I know that I don't get these now with my Audigy but did in Vista.

A really cheesy way around it may be to take your output for your speakers and loop it to the line in jack.This may or may not work.

Ok, but I probably won't bother. Thanks for the reply, though. Man, in many cases I wish I hadn't made the move to Vista, but in at least as many other ways I really like this new OS. Gonna miss my Audio Capture, though.

Jroc :(

Archived