cdanteek

A Popular Movie Dvd Has Been Discovered Using Rootkit-like Copy Protection

A popular movie DVD has been discovered using rootkit-like copy protection, Anti-virus company F-Secure has revealed.

The German DVD of Hollywood blockbuster Mr and Mrs Smith, released on 24 January, contains copy-protection software called Alpha-DVD, according to news organisation Heise, which first reported the issue. The disc will not play on Windows PCs unless the software is installed. Alpha-DVD contains user-mode rootkit-like features that hide its own process, according to F-Secure.

The discovery comes not long after the controversy over similar features found in copy-protection software on CDs distributed by Sony BMG. Rootkits are used by intruders to maintain persistent access to a system, while keeping malicious processes hidden.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13073

A popular movie DVD has been discovered using rootkit-like copy protection, Anti-virus company F-Secure has revealed.

The German DVD of Hollywood blockbuster Mr and Mrs Smith, released on 24 January, contains copy-protection software called Alpha-DVD, according to news organisation Heise, which first reported the issue. The disc will not play on Windows PCs unless the software is installed. Alpha-DVD contains user-mode rootkit-like features that hide its own process, according to F-Secure.

The discovery comes not long after the controversy over similar features found in copy-protection software on CDs distributed by Sony BMG. Rootkits are used by intruders to maintain persistent access to a system, while keeping malicious processes hidden.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13073

That plain sucks! :):huh::D

I thought I had read somewhere they had put a stop to that.

Give it a week and someone will work out what color pen to run around the disk to crack it....

You're showing your age, Neil, with that pen around the edge. (LOL)

No worries, the "Settec ALPHA-DVD protection" was only on a few region 2 (German) and region 3 (Korean) DVDs, and AnyDVD defeats that as from version 5.8.4.1

Sony have got a few things to answer for, haven't they!

You're showing your age, Neil, with that pen around the edge. (LOL)

No worries, the "Settec ALPHA-DVD protection" was only on a few region 2 (German) and region 3 (Korean) DVDs, and AnyDVD defeats that as from version 5.8.4.1

Sony have got a few things to answer for, haven't they!

Im sure it was a green pen on a sony disk, if i remember... they spent 5 million to dev a security track and it was defeted by a green marker pen...

So there is my reasioning on this type of product.....

There was an article in my newspaper this morning, talking about boycotts - the guy who first proposed one, and their effect.

The article said that according to consumer advocate Ralph Nader (it's been a long time, glad he's still around) it only takes a 2-3% drop in sales to have a serious effect on a company, make it unprofitable, and vulnerable to hostile acts from its competitors.

Perhaps it's time someone proposed a boycott on Sony products until they stop playing nasty and hostile tricks on their own customers' computers. I know I can do without buying any of their CDs and DVDs.

There was an article in my newspaper this morning, talking about boycotts - the guy who first proposed one, and their effect.

The article said that according to consumer advocate Ralph Nader (it's been a long time, glad he's still around) it only takes a 2-3% drop in sales to have a serious effect on a company, make it unprofitable, and vulnerable to hostile acts from its competitors.

Perhaps it's time someone proposed a boycott on Sony products until they stop playing nasty and hostile tricks on their own customers' computers. I know I can do without buying any of their CDs and DVDs.

What I read on other boards that's really already started. Here's a three month old article about how Sony denied the root kit and how at first they made you apply to get the removal tool. Friday, November 04, 2005

More on Sony: Dangerous Decloaking Patch, EULAs and Phoning Home!

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/m...decloaking.html

If you search you will find the same technique at first for this Korean company, Settec ALPHA-DVD protection.

Same form to fill out with valid email, email back from company to another link to fill out. Then email back with the removal kit! Neither company took that long to just post the removal tool. So pressure came from the USER folks around this world.

Sony after pressure posted mp3 downloads of the infected cd's on there website, ( that must of hurt a bit at Sony ) Then offered return replacements for the cd's. I have seen figures from 30 to 50 million cd's.

That's why I'm not a Blue Ray Disc backer because Sony is a founding member of it. Makes me wonder what they have in store for there user's!

Yes brendon t " I can do without buying any of their CDs and DVDs " myself!

cdanteek

Guest mlpasley

Well, before we condemn Sony, Mr and Mrs Smith is owned by

20th Century Fox Distribution

Now they might be linked to Sony, but I don't think so.

If another company is now using the same type of rootkit-like copy protection on DVDs, then that is even more worrisome because it means they've seen the bad press about Sony's copy protection and do not care. :)

Edited by mlpasley

Well, before we condemn Sony, Mr and Mrs Smith is owned by

20th Century Fox Distribution

Now they might be linked to Sony, but I don't think so.

If another company is now using the same type of rootkit-like copy protection on DVDs, then that is even more worrisome because it means they've seen the bad press about Sony's copy protection and do not care. :)

You are correct, ml. I thought the movie was 20th Century Fox, also. And, you are also correct in saying that it is worrisome that they don't care. :huh: