• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

And another buggy experience

mikiem

Question

When my hard drive with Vista died, Easy Media Creator Dlx 9 was far more upset than I was... While I of course didn’t welcome the expense, it was an older drive, and swapping it out & restoring the backup only took about an hour – getting EMC9 running again took the majority of a work day.

Running Vista from the new drive, starting MyDVD brought up the all-too-well-known mpg2 activation message window. Unlike problems with activation after a new install, clicking the button this time the software really does go online – activation just doesn’t work. If you manage to get to the off-line activation screen, it’s easy to see why: the copy protection routine doesn’t generate a number to activate!

Changing anything, disconnecting from the network, attempting to repair the install [thru the Vista equivalent of add/remove programs], uninstall/re-install, all produce a message that the *certificate* is bad, and that you need to reinstall. Only after hunting down and deleting all the Roxio-related folders, searching and deleting Roxio-related registry keys/values, and finally re-installing EMC9, was I able to get the mpg2 codecs activated so all the software would start.

So another facet of Roxio’s copy protection comes to light exposing yet another nasty bug, one that ironically punishes legal users; those it was meant to stop likely laugh as they’re actually able to use the software – not just work, and work, and work to get and keep it running.

Now this isn’t a complaint against copy protection – it’s often a fact of life – but the extremely poor implementation of copy protection... If I could have just re-activated the codecs, as was apparently intended, then no harm done. If I had to un-install/re-install I wouldn’t be happy about it, but no big deal. Having to go through literally hours & hours of needless work tends to make me a bit irate. The fact that, unless this activation BS is fixed soon, Roxio & Sonic will suffer heavy losses doesn’t improve my disposition one bit.

Separating if I may all the good, hard working people at Roxio from those who are responsible for implementing this copy protection fiasco... I dearly wish (curse if you prefer) that the latter experience the same levels of competence that they’ve demonstrated, not just once, but daily in their personal lives... Imagine that every morning their car starts, or not, subject to some unknown whim. Imagine if they go to fix dinner, and it takes several hours just to get the stove working. Imagine them ordering a delicious meal, only to find it inedible... Don’t know if they’d learn from it or not, but imagining what some might feel is justice at least makes me smile.

Now if I can only get a chance to actually try using half of the suite...

7 answers to this question

I do sympathize with your problems and agree, this should not become rocket science. But, do you still need some help? It sounds like you finally got it working and just needed to get this off your chest (that's ok too!).

But, if you do need help, please explain where you are now and we'll try to help you.

And I must say, your last paragraph does put a pretty clear face on the issue.

I do sympathize with your problems and agree, this should not become rocket science. But, do you still need some help? It sounds like you finally got it working and just needed to get this off your chest (that's ok too!).

But, if you do need help, please explain where you are now and we'll try to help you.

And I must say, your last paragraph does put a pretty clear face on the issue.

Thanks & no problems...

I wanted to post some sort of record of this behavior -- maybe make sure it didn't get overlooked when Roxio's coders are working on the update we're anxious for as I hadn't heard of this one before... Then again hopefully no one's going to lose a drive any time soon either.

Thanks

Thanks & no problems...

I wanted to post some sort of record of this behavior -- maybe make sure it didn't get overlooked when Roxio's coders are working on the update we're anxious for as I hadn't heard of this one before... Then again hopefully no one's going to lose a drive any time soon either.

Thanks

Preaching to the choir.

Typical response here would be that this is a user forum and Roxio staff rarely browses these forums.

Actually Nerus seeing you're riding your hobby-horse again the response is that the activation for mpeg is NOT down to Roxio, it's NOT Roxio coders - it's third party who insisted it had to be activated.

If you'd actually read some of the posts on that you'd have discovered that

My reply was not directed solely at activation, just to the general issues that EMC9 seems to have.

Edit: Bottom line, it doesn't matter what any of us say or feel about the software. There will be issues regardless of how well a program is written and tested.

Although, if you want to bring up activation, I pose the question.

The codecs are provided by a 3rd party, wouldn't it be Roxio that's responsible for its integration and implementation into the software?

It's like saying how the software on Dell or HP, although supplied by 3rd party vendors, it's Dell/HP's responsbilities for their issues.

Archived