Quicktime Failure ?

mrscottt65

Question

When I try to make a motion picture and then start to export the movie I always end up getting...QUICKTIME FAILURE - 8970 LQMOVIE EXPORT.M/ LINE 252. I wa able to make movies before but now I can not anymore.. Can anyone help here with this, I have tried everything possible but keep getting same thing. I have even checked system to see if there was a problem with hard drive. :huh::)

17 answers to this question

:) I am experiencing all the same problems using both Toast 6 and 7 which have all the latest updates. Total frustrated at this point! I tried contacting Tech Support Chat..... No one there all day. I'm asking for money back on Toast 7. Going to try iMovie and hopefully get better results.

Please Roxio post a fix to this problem. I tried rolling back to Quicktime 7.01 and even Quicktime 6 but I still got the same error. The problem caused by Quicktime 7.04 cannot be "undone" with the apple uninstaller no matte rhow far back you uninstall quicktime.

It was an emergency for me so I ended up using SuperDuper to create a drive image of my current OS X installation. I then rebooted and reinstalled OS X Tiger, reinstalled Roxio Toast 6, updated Slideshow to the current version, made my slide show, exported it using quicktime (no error message this time) and then rebooted w/ the OS X Tiger DVD and copied my drive image back. finally i used imovie to finish editing my slideshow. it was a pain but it was a work around. submitting the bug to roxio also could not be harder.

I'd like to know the answer to this too, as we are having the exact same problem (same error message) - both with Motion Pictures 1 and with MP HD (the version that comes with Toast 7)...

Chris

Yep. I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm sure others out there are too. Its beyond frustrating and I have reported this to Roxio but with no response as yet. I'll keep you posted if I get any answers.

Paul

When I try to make a motion picture and then start to export the movie I always end up getting...QUICKTIME FAILURE - 8970 LQMOVIE EXPORT.M/ LINE 252. I wa able to make movies before but now I can not anymore.. Can anyone help here with this, I have tried everything possible but keep getting same thing. I have even chec

The reason you get QuickTime failure is that latest version 7.0.4 of Quick Time is not compatible with Motion Picture HD or Image Surfer or software by LQ. Roxio with LQ have found solution for Motion Picture H D but it will come with upgrade on Motion Picture HD or Toast 7. Meanwhile work with older version of Quick Time.

Kishorm

I'd like to know the answer to this too, as we are having the exact same problem (same error message) - both with Motion Pictures 1 and with MP HD (the version that comes with Toast 7)...

Chris

Gee, I am not alone! I also cannot export Motion Pictures 1.0.3 project as a QuickTime High Quality

Product Selected. I also get error message "QuickTime failure (-8970, LQ Movie Export.m, line 252). I am using OSX 10.4.6, Toast 6.1.1, QuickTime 7.1, Motion Pictures 1.0.3. I CAN export if NO MOTION is applied, but not if motion is applied to the images. Cannot figure how to email tech support. Roxann is supposed to allow this option, but does not.

Rollin Hook rollin@cableone.net

Please Roxio post a fix to this problem. I tried rolling back to Quicktime 7.01 and even Quicktime 6 but I still got the same error. The problem caused by Quicktime 7.04 cannot be "undone" with the apple uninstaller no matte rhow far back you uninstall quicktime.

It was an emergency for me so I ended up using SuperDuper to create a drive image of my current OS X installation. I then rebooted and reinstalled OS X Tiger, reinstalled Roxio Toast 6, updated Slideshow to the current version, made my slide show, exported it using quicktime (no error message this time) and then rebooted w/ the OS X Tiger DVD and copied my drive image back. finally i used imovie to finish editing my slideshow. it was a pain but it was a work around. submitting the bug to roxio also could not be harder.

I agree! This was an eye-opening experience for me as well. There's only one item in the Motion Pictures database that lists issues, and -8970 Quicktime error is not there. RoxAnn doesn't even recognize Motion Pictures as a product they deal with. Finding the 'email support link could have been more difficult if this had been a government organization we were trying to get something from while being in Borneo. What's happened to Support->Email or Phone???? Ahhhrrrr!

If they use somebody else's codec (quicktime) then they should make a patch for it's changes or a way to use the old version, or some other workaround.

We are five months later, and there still is no solution. I tried several times today,

using Motion Pictures 1.0.4 and QT 7.1.3 (OS 10.4.8), but I still get the same error message.

Motion or no motion, HighQuality of CD quality - nothing helps. Any new ideas?

- Frits

I have QT 7.1.3 with toast titanium 6.1.1 and motion 1.0.4, up to three days ago I could export upto 20 pictures with motion, then I got this error: A problem occurred during exporting. It is described as '*** QuickTime failure (-8970, LQMovieExport.m, line 252)'. I reduced the amount of pictures to export and that worked for a while, now I can't even put one on and I get the same error. I called tech support and was on hold for two hours. I just hung up. Is there a fix out there instead of jumping through hoops? Why does Roxio expect me to buy any other software, when they can't provide support for their current customers. I also had problems with pc software from Roxio. NO SUPPORT!

I have QT 7.1.3 with toast titanium 6.1.1 and motion 1.0.4, up to three days ago I could export upto 20 pictures with motion, then I got this error: A problem occurred during exporting. It is described as '*** QuickTime failure (-8970, LQMovieExport.m, line 252)'. I reduced the amount of pictures to export and that worked for a while, now I can't even put one on and I get the same error. I called tech support and was on hold for two hours. I just hung up. Is there a fix out there instead of jumping through hoops? Why does Roxio expect me to buy any other software, when they can't provide support for their current customers. I also had problems with pc software from Roxio. NO SUPPORT!

So the problem is happening with Motion Pictures when you try to have it create the movie. Is that correct? I'm also assuming this issue is unrelated to adding audio. You encounter this with just photos.

My first troubleshooting step would be to trash Motion Pictures and its plist file and reinstall. I'd also clean disk caches with something like MacJanitor and do all the other OS troubleshooting stuff including shutting down the Mac (not just restarting).

What resolution are your source pictures? If they are very high resolution I'd export them to a lower resolution (such as 1280 x 960 because Motion Pictures is going to reduce them to less than half that.

Unfortunately Roxio doesn't have the change history for Motion Pictures 1.x on the site so I don't know what its compatibility is with QT 7.x. It was written for QT 6.x.

I'm sorry that I don't know what is causing the error, nor how to fix it. I don't have that version on any of my Macs any more.

So the problem is happening with Motion Pictures when you try to have it create the movie. Is that correct? I'm also assuming this issue is unrelated to adding audio. You encounter this with just photos.

My first troubleshooting step would be to trash Motion Pictures and its plist file and reinstall. I'd also clean disk caches with something like MacJanitor and do all the other OS troubleshooting stuff including shutting down the Mac (not just restarting).

What resolution are your source pictures? If they are very high resolution I'd export them to a lower resolution (such as 1280 x 960 because Motion Pictures is going to reduce them to less than half that.

Unfortunately Roxio doesn't have the change history for Motion Pictures 1.x on the site so I don't know what its compatibility is with QT 7.x. It was written for QT 6.x.

I'm sorry that I don't know what is causing the error, nor how to fix it. I don't have that version on any of my Macs any more.

I tried creating a movie with still pictures, but that does not help, like i said before, I was able to to do this before, but all of a sudden I can't. I did download switch (convert mpeg to mp3 files) but after I started having the problem. I unistalled it.

FINALLY, the problem is fixed with QuickTime 7.1.1. Just to vent a bit--Quicktime 7 has been awful. Extremely un-Apple like. Bugs, resource hog, crashes on my PC.

I just upgraded from Quicktime 7.1 to 7.1.1 and again tried to export my Motion Picture project. AGAIN, I got a failure 8970 message. As I posted on May 27, this same project exports nicely if NO MOTION is applied to the images.

nillor

:) I am experiencing all the same problems using both Toast 6 and 7 which have all the latest updates. Total frustrated at this point! I tried contacting Tech Support Chat..... No one there all day. I'm asking for money back on Toast 7. Going to try iMovie and hopefully get better results.

I have opened 2 web tickets on this same error code. Both times they have been transferred to Mac Support with no resolution. The Live Chat is a joke. I have been next in line for over an hour only to fail when my turn comes up with a message that there is no person who can chat at this time.

I probably will not ever use any Roxio product again because of the poor support for us Mac users.

When I try to make a motion picture and then start to export the movie I always end up getting...QUICKTIME FAILURE - 8970 LQMOVIE EXPORT.M/ LINE 252. I wa able to make movies before but now I can not anymore.. Can anyone help here with this, I have tried everything possible but keep getting same thing. I have even checked system to see if there was a problem with hard drive. :huh::)

While I got a QT failure -8970 when trying to export a Motion Picture project using QT 7.1 on my iMac G5, I did not get a failure when I copied the same Motion Picture project to a CD (accompanied by the photo files and music file of course), loaded it on my iMac G4 running QT 6.5.3. I then exported this QT high quality movie into iDVD 3 on the G4 and burned a disc. It seems quite certain that QT 7 is not compatable with Toast's Motion Picture, while QT 6.5.3 is compatable. Would it do any good to notify Apple that the problem is of their origin?

Rollin Hook

Chris

FINALLY, the problem is fixed with QuickTime 7.1.1. Just to vent a bit--Quicktime 7 has been awful. Extremely un-Apple like. Bugs, resource hog, crashes on my PC.

EDIT- nillor is right, without motion i was able to export fine (never tried to make a slideshow without any motion beofre), but when i applied motion it was a no go.... oh well, guess it is time to look for a better alternative for slideshow creation....

Archived