• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Copier Program.

chris.povey

Question

I have EMC 7, some Imation DVD+RW 4x DVDs and a DVD-Video Image consisting of a Video-TS and Audio-TS directories. Pioneer DVD-107D drive.

If I burn this image on to a DVD+RW as a test disc then after about 5-10 formats and reburns the disc fails. My TV DVD player will not read it and sometimes the PC will not read or format it after the failure. (Though the write did complete successfully when the disc fails in the DVD player).

If I use the same brand of discs as "Drag-to-Disc" discs then they seem to last for ages. In fact I have not had one fail.

So is the Disc Copier program burning the DVD+RW as a DVD-R? Does this uses a stronger setting on the laser and hence destroys the disc?

This is the only method I know of to proof my work before burning to a DVD-R. I do not really want to waste discs, something is killing my DVD+RW discs!!! :)

2 answers to this question

I have EMC 7, some Imation DVD+RW 4x DVDs and a DVD-Video Image consisting of a Video-TS and Audio-TS directories. Pioneer DVD-107D drive.

If I burn this image on to a DVD+RW as a test disc then after about 5-10 formats and reburns the disc fails. My TV DVD player will not read it and sometimes the PC will not read or format it after the failure. (Though the write did complete successfully when the disc fails in the DVD player).

If I use the same brand of discs as "Drag-to-Disc" discs then they seem to last for ages. In fact I have not had one fail.

So is the Disc Copier program burning the DVD+RW as a DVD-R? Does this uses a stronger setting on the laser and hence destroys the disc?

This is the only method I know of to proof my work before burning to a DVD-R. I do not really want to waste discs, something is killing my DVD+RW discs!!! :)

You erase the dvdrw and reburn to dvd video disc. What does this mean (then after about 5-10 formats and reburns the disc fails )? The key word being reformat?

The physics of phase change media, your melting or re- annealing the dye-layer and then reburning to the dye-layer. Quality DVD - +R at $0.30 US seems to be a better bargain than your RW media. Imation is not quality media to begin with! My opinion phase change media is garbage, add Drag-to-Disc a disaster! I don't use it. Want to drag to disc, by another hard drive there cheap BB had a 120gb Seagate for $59.00.

If there wasn't RW media and drag to disc, this board wouldn't have half the post's asking about problems with it.

cdanteek

I have been using and reusing both +RW and -RW media over and over in a similar type situation as you for quite some time. I have not had one fail permanently yet. Although I do use a stack of about 10 of them and rotate through them (so I'm not burning to the very same media multiple times a day or week very often).

Once in a while my machine gets a bit finicky and decides a RW media won't work correctly. If I remove the media, close down the program, and reinsert the RW media, it seems to recognize it and use it just fine. I also find that sometimes I have to erase the RW media via the "disk and device utility", rather than letting the "disc copier" program do that to get it to work correctly.

Also - I tend to let the burner run at its maximum speed when burning to RW media, since I have no intentions of keeping it permanently afterwards. I subscribe to the theory that burning at the maximum speed capabilities of a drive or media is cruising for trouble, so once in a while if the media won't play afterwards, I just put it in the back of the stack and reburn using the next one. So far, the offending media has always worked fine the next time I tried using it.

The only suggestions I would offer to try include:

1. look for updated firmware for your drive, in case the write strategy in your firmware for the media you are using is marginal and the drive manufacturer has issued an update.

2. when a RW media fails, try erasing it completely via the "disk and device utility" - then reusing it.

3. cycle through a stack of RW media for this testing so you are not burning to the very same disc multiple times in a very short time.

4. try some different brand RW media to see if they perform better for you.

Archived