• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave 9 crashes

mundo

Question

When I am editing my project in Videowave 9, adding windows movies, I create my menu and ready to burn in to dvd everything works great but when I press burn to create a dvd the system crashes or hangs. Aanybody have an idea of what is causing this problem? Please help.

7 answers to this question

I am encountering the same problem. VideoWave crashes after I select the burn icon. I was able to burn a DVD and it was even playable. I've been working on this single DVD project for 4 weeks!! After switching to a LightScribe DVD (external) drive I was able to create a DVD but the navigation menu does NOT play or appear at ball. I won't give you the entire sad history but I have a Dell XPS laptop and the onboard NEC DVD read/write drive that refused to burn a DVD even though I dropped down to 8X media, uninstalled IE 7, dropped my video length to less than an hour, etc. etc. I followed all the advice I could find on Roxio's site.

So finally, I ungraded to the external 16X LightScribe drive and was able to burn a DVD...but like I said above, when I play it on a desktop system (year old DVD/VHS combo unit nfrom Sony) if plays straight through the movies without ever displaying the navigation menu I built (using one of the default MyDVD menu templates). I added Chapters to the original project (54 for one video) and the movies were all saved as .MPG files.

So I thought, okay, with the menu system not showing, maybe it's too big for the 16X 4.7GB LightScribe DVD+R media (shouldn't be, but nothing else works as expected). So I deleted one entire movie and reduced the chapters in the remaining movie to about 50. It now has that one movie plus a slideshow with audio saved as a MPG file.

Now, when I try to burn this modified project, VideoWave crashes. Tried it 3-4 times, re-booted in between, disconnected from Internet. Heck, tried everything, except rebuilding the project from scratch. So I did that too and it still crashes and sends a message to Microsoft. So I thought, okay, I'll upgrade with the latest Windows XP upgrades (since it might be Windows related) including adding IE 7 back on the laptop. Still crashes.

And I HAVE defrag-ed the drives, disabled virus protection and run Ad-Aware.

I only bought 25 copies of Roxio so I could train our faculty in our college labs how to capture video and produce DVDs. I never thought this was an esoteric, dark art that required a lifetime committment. The Mac is looking better all the time.

Jonathan,

You said you were doing it on a laptop - what are the specs for that, particularly the graphics

EMC9 makes extensive use of the GPU as well as the CPU in rendering and it's possible that's where the problem lies

I know it won't work on my laptop, but works fine on the main box

It really boils down to how its memory is organised - if it's sharing system RAM, probably not, whereas some laptops with dedicated graphics memory do work. I know definitely my own laptop with shared memory can't handle it.

Also, the graphics have to be FULLY DirectX compliant - 'DirectX support' isn't quite the same thing.

Open MyDVD and go to tools, options and check the graphics test - if it's set to hardware render, switch to software and see if that makes any difference

I tried the software vs hardware render setting and it made no difference. I'm not sure I understand even what the software vs hardware render screen is telling me...e.g. there was no obvious messgae saying "this won't work." Am I basically just out of luck using this laptop? And if so, why did I get one DVD to burn but without the menu system? Any ideas?

If it works from the start menu and not from the home app, keep using the one that works is about the best advice I can think of.

I have the same problem with my laptop so I would do the rendering on the main machine

Jonathan,

You said you were doing it on a laptop - what are the specs for that, particularly the graphics

EMC9 makes extensive use of the GPU as well as the CPU in rendering and it's possible that's where the problem lies

I know it won't work on my laptop, but works fine on the main box

The Graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, with a driver version 8.162.0.0 dated 8/3/2005 but the last time I checked that's the most recent driver available. I work off two systems, this laptop at home and a duo-core dual processor 64-bit Windows system at work--which seems to have problems with any graphics program I use (e.g. Creative Suite 3, etc), which is why I had hoped the laptop (that I use for demos) would handle this task.

Is the ATI Mobility Radeon unsupported?

It really boils down to how its memory is organised - if it's sharing system RAM, probably not, whereas some laptops with dedicated graphics memory do work. I know definitely my own laptop with shared memory can't handle it.

Also, the graphics have to be FULLY DirectX compliant - 'DirectX support' isn't quite the same thing.

Open MyDVD and go to tools, options and check the graphics test - if it's set to hardware render, switch to software and see if that makes any difference

When I am editing my project in Videowave 9, adding windows movies, I create my menu and ready to burn in to dvd everything works great but when I press burn to create a dvd the system crashes or hangs. Aanybody have an idea of what is causing this problem? Please help.

Could be any number of things! Without giving us more information such as your sytem specs (similar to what I have in my signature) it is impossible to offer much help. What format are the movies, (windows movies does not tell us very much), how long in time is the project?

Does the project work in the myDVD preview? Have you output your videowave production to mpeg2 file on your hard drive? That might tell you if there is a problem with one of your source files. Are you running the latest drivers for your video card? Are you running DirectX 9c?

Archived