Is There A Way To Get Only One Frame Of A Pic Into A Video?

richardteam

Question

I want to do that cool psychological effect in my horror movie where one frame (JUST ONE!) flashes a scary skull image, and makes people scared. I'm not sure how to get that, though, because duration only lets you shorten it to like .3 of a second. I need more like .01 of a second (whatever the leanght duration of a single frame is). How do you do that? Can you?

13 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley
I want to do that cool psychological effect in my horror movie where one frame (JUST ONE!) flashes a scary skull image, and makes people scared. I'm not sure how to get that, though, because duration only lets you shorten it to like .3 of a second. I need more like .01 of a second (whatever the leanght duration of a single frame is). How do you do that? Can you?

I don't think so.

Man this will sound complicated, but here goes:

I was thinking about my issue, and I thought to myself: will it be possible to take a picture, render 5 seconds of it in an individual project, then take the VIDEO format of the picture and load it into my production...

Then, use the "adjust duration" function to slice it up to last only frame 00:00 to 00:01? I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm just asking if possible? (No access to the actual program right now, can't test it)...

I played around a little with using the overlay for your skull and adjusted the time to fade in and out and with a little playing I was able to get it to flash fairly fast. Have you tried that?

Guest mlpasley
Man this will sound complicated, but here goes:

I was thinking about my issue, and I thought to myself: will it be possible to take a picture, render 5 seconds of it in an individual project, then take the VIDEO format of the picture and load it into my production...

Then, use the "adjust duration" function to slice it up to last only frame 00:00 to 00:01? I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm just asking if possible? (No access to the actual program right now, can't test it)...

I tried the adust duration feature and I couldn't get it down to less than 3 seconds.

I think the solution of rendering the 3 seconds of video, then putting it on the storyline and speeding it up to 3x normal would work. :) Smervine says that he's done it successfully in his videos for similar 'quick' pictures.

That 3x Speedup worked... sort of. I Adjusted the duration to .3 seconds, then rendered, and then made it into a flash by speeding it up (4 times, to the max). It was still a little too long though, so here's what I did: I took some extra footage near it, and rendered it into a 5 second clip (including the other footage), and the put it back into the production, speeding it up again 4x. Now it was truly a frame, but guess what? The frame flashed back for another shot, so it actually appeared twice... (error in program). Any suggestions?

There is one other thing to try. Drop that single picture onto the video track and do a File\Output Production To..\Video File and render to a MPEG2 or DV AVI. Once done, import that short "video" into your project, point to it, click the right mouse button, select Edit\Adjust and increase the speed. If you mess with the speed, I will bet you can get the look you want.

Don't encourage him. :)

Guest mlpasley
There is one other thing to try. Drop that single picture onto the video track and do a File\Output Production To..\Video File and render to a MPEG2 or DV AVI. Once done, import that short "video" into your project, point to it, click the right mouse button, select Edit\Adjust and increase the speed. If you mess with the speed, I will bet you can get the look you want.

Now that's a clever solution. I never would have thought of that. For a 3 second clip, I guess you'd have to speed it up by 3x to get it to display for 1 second? Is that possible? Hmmmmmm.... something for me to try in my spare time.

If this user tries it, please let us know if it works. :)

Archived