• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Jinkies! It's A Clue!

richardteam

Question

While working with Roxio for about a year now, I've realized something. As professional as the program is, it's also the biggest piece of "software" crap ever made. Literally, there is no other program ever created on this planet with so many issues. Yes, Roxio VideoWave and all that has cool features, such as color adjustment, advanced overlays, and much of this super high-tech pro hollywood stuff, but I'm assuming that Stephen Spielberg doesn't use a program that crashes on him when he tries to burn a DVD, or makes the video all out of sync. when he renders a file. I doubt that Nicole Kidman ever acted in a movie where the transactions were all out-of-tact. I also really doubt that Revolution Studios uses capture software (even when through firewire) that only lets you get a crappy full-of-it low quality 320x160 video onto a computer from a DV Camera. Fortunately, Microsoft lets me use Windows Movie Maker for that function...

Oh yeah, I don't mean to be critical, but I'm trying to make a nice movie here, and it seems to me that these "hollywood-style" results are not comming in. I mean, I would LOVE to pay $100 more for a software system if it was all tested and functional.

Does anybody have any advice on this topic? Maybe we should tell Roxio to make a GOOD piece of software...

Or does somebody know if EMC8 will have the same damned issues?

Or does somebody know if there is another software out there (under $200) that provides this type of cool editing without the retarded problems that Roxio has? I mean, really... Films from 1950 had better editing. Hmm... maybe I should add some of those old-age effects to my videos, and say that they were made in the 1930's... that will explain why they look so crappy to the audience. Yeah, that just might work...

-Any coments? Please tell me!!! Thanks

20 answers to this question

Hey guys, thanks for all your "help". Unfortunately I can't ask steven spielberg for help, that's why I came here... anyway, I'll try to find a way to get that 720x480 res. via firewire, but as I said, it's just one of my issues. The only reason I complained about EMC is because seriously, the issues with un-sync. audio/video, the out-of-tact transitions, and DVD burning problem... I saw the forrums... nobody helped me so far. All I know is that apparently .AVI files don't work with DVD burner (or so I hear), and that you need a supercomputer with like 10 Ghz speed, and 4k Ram to get the software working in sync. and without problems... and some mention something about those $500 video cards. Unfortunately I bought the software because I didn't feel like paying $1000 for another one... which didn't necessarily mean that I was planning to spend another $2000 on computer stuff. I mean, I'm looking for anything under $300-200... My computer works just fine with every other program anyway, so I don't see how those issues are irrelevent to the software... Any suggestions?

While working with Roxio for about a year now, I've realized something. As professional as the program is, it's also the biggest piece of "software" crap ever made. Literally, there is no other program ever created on this planet with so many issues. Yes, Roxio VideoWave and all that has cool features, such as color adjustment, advanced overlays, and much of this super high-tech pro hollywood stuff, but I'm assuming that Stephen Spielberg doesn't use a program that crashes on him when he tries to burn a DVD, or makes the video all out of sync. when he renders a file. I doubt that Nicole Kidman ever acted in a movie where the transactions were all out-of-tact. I also really doubt that Revolution Studios uses capture software (even when through firewire) that only lets you get a crappy full-of-it low quality 320x160 video onto a computer from a DV Camera. Fortunately, Microsoft lets me use Windows Movie Maker for that function...

Oh yeah, I don't mean to be critical, but I'm trying to make a nice movie here, and it seems to me that these "hollywood-style" results are not comming in. I mean, I would LOVE to pay $100 more for a software system if it was all tested and functional.

Does anybody have any advice on this topic? Maybe we should tell Roxio to make a GOOD piece of software...

Or does somebody know if there is another software out there (under $200) that provides this type of cool editing without the retarded problems that Roxio has? I mean, really... Films from 1950 had better editing. Hmm... maybe I should add some of those old-age effects to my videos, and say that they were made in the 1930's... that will explain why they look so crappy to the audience. Yeah, that just might work...

Jinkies...Zoinks...Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works great, here.

It sounds like you aren't doing things right. Lots of posts on the forums explaining how to do things. I would start with finding out how to capture from the video camera via firewire, because you aren't doing it right, if you get the resolution you are talking about.

Maybe someone else who captures via firewire can help you out.

Guest mlpasley
capture software (even when through firewire) that only lets you get a crappy full-of-it low quality 320x160 video onto a computer from a DV Camera.

I have a comment. What kind of computer and camcorder are you using that allows you to capture only 320x160 video?

It isn't the software because I can capture high quality 480x720 29 fps video through the firewire from my DV camcorder.

Guest mlpasley
I'll try to find a way to get that 720x480 res. via firewire.

My computer works just fine with every other program anyway, so I don't see how those issues are irrelevent to the software... Any suggestions?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific about what you need help with in order for us to help you.

The software works just fine for many of us. In your case, even though you claim you have been using it for over a year, it seems the problem is that you really don't seem to have a clue how to use it.

Well, these are the things that I need help with, that the formus didn't really assist with, in VW:

1.) When I add a transition, sometimes, when the transition is almost over, the last frame of the first clip flashes onto the screen, and then the next clip starts. It's very annoying, and looks like the editor was an iddiot when it comes out. Is there a way to fix this For Free???

What worked for me was to delete the troublesome transition and then put it right back.

Lance

What worked for me was to delete the troublesome transition and then put it right back.

Lance

..and what the heck to I have to do increase my ranking to something besides "Newbie". I'm definitely not a guru, but been using Roxio for so long I remember the Adaptec days.

Lance

Alright... well I am indeed using VideoWave 7 Professional... it came w/ DVD Builder and all that other stuff... Beyond that, I can't burn the image file. What happened recently was, though, that I re-installed the whole program, and it burned... once. Then, bam. No more working... I don't know what it can be. I tried shutting down every system on my computer (firewall, spyware blocker, etc.) but still it did not work.

P. S. How do you preview .iso Image Files, or can you with CD Builder Classic 6??

Well, these are the things that I need help with, that the formus didn't really assist with, in VW:

1.) When I add a transition, sometimes, when the transition is almost over, the last frame of the first clip flashes onto the screen, and then the next clip starts. It's very annoying, and looks like the editor was an iddiot when it comes out. Is there a way to fix this For Free???

2.) I read all of the formus on this; but none of them helped... When I render video, the audio gets up to 1 second out of sync. later on for a while. Same thing occures with DVD builder. Beyond that, if I use a .WMV file that was formulated out of pictures (as in a file made in Windows Movie Maker, made with the use of a still picture in the clip), the whole video gets out-of-tact after rendering, and I mean in a way where it gets up to 20 seconds out-of-snyc... some parts of the video speed up, others slow down like 400%... it's annoying, and nothing so far could help me, besides remaking the whole clip into .MPEG2 format. But that's still not my biggest issue, as I wouldn't mind doing that, but I really can't do anything to resolve that issue of mine with normal every-day video being out-of-sync with sound after rendering... sometimes it isn't, usually it is in longer clips.

3.) When I try to burn a DVD, it simply shuts down in the first encoding step. I heard that this can be influenced by using .AVI files, but most of my files were rendered in .AVI for the sake of not having to waste 10 extra gigs on my hard drive (by using MPEG2), and now, the DVD won't burn. I defragmented, everything... and I really need the DVD to burn! But it won't work! Can anybody suggest anything?

4.) The slooooooooooowness... I mean, if I don't have enough RAM or enough speed on my processor, I can't help it. Other editing programs run fine on the same computer. By slowness, I mean that when I drag a clip into storyboard, or try to edit the sound, it takes like a minute to do each function... sometimes it causes a crash... especially if I have many individual clips. Also, when it goes from one clip into a nother when I'm previewing my production, it really malfunctions, and crashes for about 5 seconds before it starts catching up to the next clip. It's really annoying because I can't see what I made until I render it... any suggestions?

Well, that's about it... Then there are still those issues with text, quality, and files, but I won't get into those... If these listed above are fixed, I'll be the happiest Roxio user in the world. Until that time, I'll just cry having to use Windows Movie Maker... :) ...

Guest mlpasley
Now, about the DVD burner problem...

well, I did the troubleshooting test that you suggested, and all went as it's supposed to. The DVD burned, and VideoWave rendered no problem... but, I still can't burn any of my other productions. The thing is, some of these I already burned a few times before, and now I can't. The program crashes on the first second of encoding the first title (on any DVD that I try to burn without the use of an image file, where-as images burn normally). Yes, this is a new problem. All went well until a while ago.

I use footage that I captured from FireWire through Windows Movie Maker, and edited it in VideoWave. Some files that I use are direct edits of Windows Movie Maker, though, but all were edited and re-rendered at some point. As for the DVD Builder project, I started a new one, just delivering files from my computer that were already edited into the DVD project, making several titles and an into title (but I didn't exceed 4.5 Gigabytes). As I said, the very same project burned normally before, and now it doesn't. None of my projects do... the funny thing is, (and I'm not sure if this can be one issue), is that the test burning that you suggested was only 250 megabytes, and all other projects of mine are 1.7 gigs - 4.5... can this be an issue? The file size? I have an 80 gig hard drive, with 26% free space, defragmented this morning... the problem still precists.

As for the slowness problem: If VideoWave takes up as much recources as movie maker, than I don't know what can be the problem because movie maker runs fine on my system. I listed the computer resources below. I haven't re-installed the computer - ever - but all other programs don't show that there is a need for that... I do standard maitenance about every week (Defragment, Check for Errors, Disk Clean-up, everything to dusting the screen)... It's still MAD slow. MAD I tell you. By the way, the files I use are anything from 10 megabytes to 200 megabytes, but the difference is low... it's slow no matter what I do. Even when editing a 5 second 200 KB clip....

By the way, just a random question: Is there a way to view the .iso file before actually burning it to a disk? And is my computer supposed to use a program that is from EMC 6 (CD Creator Classic), or did it not change at all for EMC7?

First, I need to clarify something. Are you using Easy Media Creator 7 or VideoWave 7 Professional? There are some options available in EMC7 that are not available in VW7 and I don't want to suggest something that won't work.

Let's see. If I understand correctly, you can make a small production into an .iso file. Can you make one of the larger productions into an 'image file' (.iso)? If so, you can make them into iso files and burn them to a DVD with EMC 6 ( if you have VW 7 Pro). EMC6 and VW or EMC7 can be installed on the same computer.

I suspect that you've got a virus or firewall program that is interferring with the render process. It could also be a pop up blocker that's causing problems. Basically, anything that tries to use the CPU at the same time the render is taking place can cause a crash.

The slowness is a problem because you are using mpeg2 files. Some computers have no problem editing mpeg2 files in VW. My computer is sooo sloooww when I try to edit them, that it's ridiculous. The fact that you imported them with Movie Maker doesn't help.

If you want the best quality video, you should import DV AVI files using the firewire and Roxio Capture.

Ok... what problem did I miss?

Guest mlpasley

I cannot help with everything, but here are some suggestions.

1. I've had this happen and it annoys the heck out of me. The solution is to click on the scene BEFORE the flashback, choose Adjust Duration, go to the end of the scene, click back ONE FRAME and mark that as the end of the scene. (It's obviously a bug in the way the scene is detected in Capture and stored.)

2. This one is a bit harder because sometimes there is no solution, but if I remember correctly, you're bringing in video from a DV camcorder over a firewire and usually the video and audio are attached. Could you explain in more detail just what you are doing? You should be able to edit in VideoWave, hit Burn to open DVD Builder and either burn to a DVD or ISO file.

3. Have you ever been able to burn a DVD or is this a new problem? Just where in the encoding process does it shut down? Now this is a troubleshooting test.....In VideoWave, you can try a File\ Output production to.... and choose Video File\ DVD authoring\ Best to see if there is something wrong with the storyline itself. If there is something wrong with the storyline, the rendering will freeze at the time where the problem occurs. If it will render, then try putting that in the DVD Builder production and see if it will burn to an 'image file' (There's no sense wasting a DVD if there are problems.)

4. You're going to have to list your computer system specifications again, because I don't remember if you listed them. This program does take up more computer resources than a program like Movie Maker, but that might not be the problem. You didn't mention how large the original captured video is and that can affect the speed. The larger the file in time, the slower the editing.

Are you using WinXP? Then, I'd also suggest going to your Windows Performance and Maintenance\ System\ Advanced\ Performance Settings and choose Adjust for best performance. I set up a separate User Account and did the performance adjusting in that account. Other Tips are to disable write behind caching, enabling DMA for IDE hard disks, and setting the Virtual memory paging size to the minimum of your RAM and the maximum to twice your RAM. These tips aren't exclusive to Roxio and many video editing programs recommend the Other Tips. If your system is low on resources, disconnecting from the net and exiting your firewall and virus programs can help free up resources.

Guest mlpasley

With VideoWave 7 Professional, you don't have the option of burning an .iso file. If you can encode to an .iso file, then it's not an encoding problem.

You should be able to use version 6 or another DVD burning program that you have on your computer to burn the .iso file to the DVD. That's not the solution, but a workaround until you can find out what is wrong. I don't think you can preview the .iso file in version 6, but the preview button in DVD Builder should allow you to see what it will look like when burned to a DVD.

Have you checked on the computer/dvd burner manufacture's website for updates to that burner?

Both version 6 and version 7 can be installed on the same computer.

The fact that you could burn once, then it quit suggests that something else is changing your computer settings and interferring with DVD Builder. At this point, you probably need to contact Roxio Tech Support

Alright, about the flashbacks... thanks, it was a great tip :D

Now, about the DVD burner problem...

well, I did the troubleshooting test that you suggested, and all went as it's supposed to. The DVD burned, and VideoWave rendered no problem... but, I still can't burn any of my other productions. The thing is, some of these I already burned a few times before, and now I can't. The program crashes on the first second of encoding the first title (on any DVD that I try to burn without the use of an image file, where-as images burn normally). Yes, this is a new problem. All went well until a while ago.

I use footage that I captured from FireWire through Windows Movie Maker, and edited it in VideoWave. Some files that I use are direct edits of Windows Movie Maker, though, but all were edited and re-rendered at some point. As for the DVD Builder project, I started a new one, just delivering files from my computer that were already edited into the DVD project, making several titles and an into title (but I didn't exceed 4.5 Gigabytes). As I said, the very same project burned normally before, and now it doesn't. None of my projects do... the funny thing is, (and I'm not sure if this can be one issue), is that the test burning that you suggested was only 250 megabytes, and all other projects of mine are 1.7 gigs - 4.5... can this be an issue? The file size? I have an 80 gig hard drive, with 26% free space, defragmented this morning... the problem still precists.

As for the slowness problem: If VideoWave takes up as much recources as movie maker, than I don't know what can be the problem because movie maker runs fine on my system. I listed the computer resources below. I haven't re-installed the computer - ever - but all other programs don't show that there is a need for that... I do standard maitenance about every week (Defragment, Check for Errors, Disk Clean-up, everything to dusting the screen)... It's still MAD slow. MAD I tell you. By the way, the files I use are anything from 10 megabytes to 200 megabytes, but the difference is low... it's slow no matter what I do. Even when editing a 5 second 200 KB clip....

By the way, just a random question: Is there a way to view the .iso file before actually burning it to a disk? And is my computer supposed to use a program that is from EMC 6 (CD Creator Classic), or did it not change at all for EMC7? I don't know, but if there is a program that came with VideoWave 7 Professional pack that I can use, that's better, let me know :huh: . Alright, I guess that's all so far. Thanks for everything! :)

Dell Dimension 4600, 2003 Series

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.4 Ghz

Running on: Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2

7,200 RPM Hard Drive, 80 Gigs (74.4 actual size)

512 RAM, in the form of: 2x128MB cards, and 1x256 card

1 CD Drive, 1 DVD+/-RW drive, 1 3.5" Floppy Drive

AOL dial-up Intermat*(lol) connection, at 8 kbps

McAfee Virus Protection, Spyzapper, and all other stuff that AOL gives you for Virus Protection software...

(Not sure what kind of video card...)

Hey Walt, how many times have we seen the same type of post where the OP really doesn't have a clue as to how to use it ? (as remarked by Walt). And I agree. Usually, after all is said and done, the software really isn't the problem at all. I have a camcorder that I use to transfer video to my computer via a "Firewire" port and cable and I have had great results with the video when I use it with EMC.

If you stick around and post some details about a particular problem you are having, you will probably find that EMC is really not your problem. Bitching about EMC on this forum rarely gets a favorable response. After using EMC for a year or so now, why are you still using it---Or are you ? Maybe Stephen Spielberg has the program that will do the trick for you.

Cheers

Frank..........

Hey Walt, how many times have we seen the same type of post where the OP really doesn't have a clue as to how to use it ? (as remarked by Walt). And I agree. Usually, after all is said and done, the software really isn't the problem at all. I have a camcorder that I use to transfer video to my computer via a "Firewire" port and cable and I have had great results with the video when I use it with EMC.

If you stick around and post some details about a particular problem you are having, you will probably find that EMC is really not your problem. Bitching about EMC on this forum rarely gets a favorable response. After using EMC for a year or so now, why are you still using it---Or are you ? Maybe Stephen Spielberg has the program that will do the trick for you.

Cheers

Frank..........

LOL, Frank. I have to think that richardteam crashed and burned once he came down off of whatever he was on last night. :)

You would have to read all of his posts in the 1 hour time period, last night, to know that he was hopped up.

Archived