• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Having Problems Doing A Full Backup Of My System

rbrackle

Question

System Information:

Computer PowerSpec 8922

Windows XP Home edition (5.01 2600 Service Pack 2)

1.5 Megabyte Memory.

Intel P4 2600 MHz

DirectX 9.0c

Realtek AC97 Audio

Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Hard Drives: Samsung SP1203N (111Gig) , ST3160023A (149 Gig)

DVD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4166B

CD Drive: LITE-ON LTR-52327S

DMA is on all the above drives.

I have tried numerous times to do a full backup of my computer with several different DVD drives, and have not succeeded! I would use the CD drive that came with the system, but I don’t believe I could get the full backup in under the 30-disk limit.

I don’t remember all of the DVD drives I have tried! I initially was using a DVD+-RW Drive Model No; DD0203, but was not getting results with it, so them I bought an external LG drive (don’t remember the Model #), then I tried an external HP drive (don’t remember the Model #), so I then went to the LG internal drive I show above. All of the external drives would just hang up at some point during the backup. The current internal drive has backup a small backup of less than 4.7 Gig without any errors! When I tried a 30+ Gig backup that took over 4 hours I got the message ‘Unable to continue operation. A deleted block was detected on the media (07-05-07-02-6400) during the verification phase!

11 answers to this question

Yes I have tried multiple DVD media’s. Currently I have purchased TDK DVD-R media. Prior to the changes to this site it was suggested that I use a RW media – I assumed this was so the media would not be wasted when the backup failed! Why are you saying I should not use such media? I am doing the Backup MYPC (I assume this is ‘BUMP’). The total backup size of my system is > 66 thousand files, and 35 Gigabyte! Every time the ‘FULL’ backup fails it wastes multiple DVD’s! I understand it should not make any difference weather I use internal, or external drives! I have a problem, and I would like help – from this site – ‘ROXIO’ – in solving it – and – so far I’m not seeing that!

Yes I have tried multiple DVD media’s. Currently I have purchased TDK DVD-R media. Prior to the changes to this site it was suggested that I use a RW media – I assumed this was so the media would not be wasted when the backup failed! Why are you saying I should not use such media? I am doing the Backup MYPC (I assume this is ‘BUMP’). The total backup size of my system is > 66 thousand files, and 35 Gigabyte! Every time the ‘FULL’ backup fails it wastes multiple DVD’s! I understand it should not make any difference weather I use internal, or external drives! I have a problem, and I would like help – from this site – ‘ROXIO’ – in solving it – and – so far I’m not seeing that!

The reason I say not to use RW is they are notorious for errors and losing data. As for support, these forums are just others users, not Roxio support. So far I have not seen any problems like you are having except with media that the burner doesn't like. some burners sem to be partiular with what brand of media is used. I started using Verbatim when I had problems with other brands and have had no reason to switch since then.

As for the file size, I am not sure if there is a limitation with XP/BUMP on file size. I believe when it creates the backup, it is considered one file that spans multiple disks.

As a test, have you tried doing a backup to a file on your secondary HDD? This could tell you if it is a file size problem. Other than that, I am not sure what else to suggest, other than contact Roxio support. As this is a just purchased product, they should not charge you.

Have you tried different media, and what type and brand of media are you using? I hope not DVD+or-RW. Also, which product are you using, Backup MYPC or Roxio Backup?

I currently do a disaster recovery (all files + system state), with BUMP, of about 13.5GB that goes to 3 DVD's with no problem. I am using Verbatim DVDs, either + or -R on a Sony DRU-810A internal. It really shouldn't matter whether it is an internal or external drive.

Hi, I have a similar problem and would really appreciate your help. I have purchased a new LaCie DVD burner from Gateway. I tried to use MS backup utility and the Creator 7 Basic software that came with the external drive. Both would not allow me to use multiple disks when doing a full system backup. I was looking at BackUp MyPC when I found this discussion. I don't know what BUMP is. What software would you recommend?

Well I have had zero luck with customer support! I started with Roxann, and at one point I thought that Roxann gave up too, and was giving me to a support email address, but when I clicked on it I ended up in Lala land – starting all over! I went through the knowledge base and got no where there! I imagine if I paid the $35 fee I would get some result there, but…. I tried the discussion group – if I manage to log in – it logs me off after I wait x number if minutes, but most times I cannot even get in! For example the last time I tried I got the message: ‘All technical support agents are currently occupied. You may try to chat at a later time or search for a solution using one of our other tools’. The other tools are the ones I already tried! If you have a support email/website address send it my way! If I have not already tried it – I will when I get it!

:)

I have seen it backup file(s) over multiple DVD’s, but since the backups eventually failed I never found out if I could have used it to restore the file!

:D

I have tested out multiple file backups using BUMP, and they have succeeded! :D I have never been able to complete a FULL Backup! :huh:

Hi, I have a similar problem and would really appreciate your help. I have purchased a new LaCie DVD burner from Gateway. I tried to use MS backup utility and the Creator 7 Basic software that came with the external drive. Both would not allow me to use multiple disks when doing a full system backup. I was looking at BackUp MyPC when I found this discussion. I don't know what BUMP is. What software would you recommend?

Sorry, BUMP, Back Up My Pc. MS backup will only work on 1 media, excpet maybe floppies. You prbably have Roxio Backup or just regular Creator with what you have.

Have you tried different media, and what type and brand of media are you using? I hope not DVD+or-RW. Also, which product are you using, Backup MYPC or Roxio Backup?

I currently do a disaster recovery (all files + system state), with BUMP, of about 13.5GB that goes to 3 DVD's with no problem. I am using Verbatim DVDs, either + or -R on a Sony DRU-810A internal. It really shouldn't matter whether it is an internal or external drive.

Sorry, BUMP, Back Up My Pc. MS backup will only work on 1 media, excpet maybe floppies. You prbably have Roxio Backup or just regular Creator with what you have.

Thanks a lot. I bought the CD burner and I think I'm figuring it out. I'm setting it up to run a Differential backup once a week and an Incremental backup the other days. I made a Disaster Recovery disk already. Hopefully, if I need it, it will work.

Do you know if I can download only files I might need rather than the entire backup?

Thanks again for your response.

Thanks a lot. I bought the CD burner and I think I'm figuring it out. I'm setting it up to run a Differential backup once a week and an Incremental backup the other days. I made a Disaster Recovery disk already. Hopefully, if I need it, it will work.

Do you know if I can download only files I might need rather than the entire backup?

Thanks again for your response.

Yes you can. In restore you can use your disaster recovery disks just like any other backup. You just will not need the floppies to boot from.

marlinsinger

Thank you for the time you have taken in trying to assist me! :)

You are welcome. You have a stumper there.

One thing I am not sure of is if there is a max file size when writing to CD/DVD. I believe the file is considered one spanned file. In NTFS, you can have a file as large as your disk, but CD/DVD are not NTFS. Can't remember exactly what they are set up as.

You still might try a backup to your secondary HDD and see if a full backup works.

You are welcome. You have a stumper there.

One thing I am not sure of is if there is a max file size when writing to CD/DVD. I believe the file is considered one spanned file. In NTFS, you can have a file as large as your disk, but CD/DVD are not NTFS. Can't remember exactly what they are set up as.

You still might try a backup to your secondary HDD and see if a full backup works.

BUMP uses UDF file system, thus there is no size limit.

Archived