frankcolella

Dao.msi Error Fix

Question

1- Unregister it by typing this at the command line-

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

then.

2- Register it:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

Go to START/RUN then copy and paste the Unregister command in the run box. PRess OK

Do the same with the second command to register.

:) initialize the roxio product you are using.

If this fixes your problem, please post with the video adapter you are using.

This fix so far has worked on all the built by ATI AIW radeon and AVIO cards.

then.

2- Register it:

Go to START/RUN then copy and paste the Unregister command in the run box. PRess OK

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and this fix worked for me. Roxio should provide a fix in the installation program.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and this fix worked for me. Roxio should provide a fix in the installation program.

Funny, I have the ATI Radeon 9800 and had no problem in the installation process. I had no problem when I had my ATI Radeon 9700 card, either.

It looks like it is something else on your computer causing the problem, not the Roxio software.

Funny, I have the ATI Radeon 9800 and had no problem in the installation process. I had no problem when I had my ATI Radeon 9700 card, either.

It looks like it is something else on your computer causing the problem, not the Roxio software.

Or a combination of programs. :) I had no problems with my old card with two different ATI cards. It is almost impossible to diagnose a conflict like this except for some anti virus programs that always seem to cause problems. :huh:

:) Thanks for the fix. I have an ATI AIW 9600 (2006) radeon. I have Catalyst 6.2 and MMC 9.13 installed. I kept getting DAO.msi search errors after the roxio 8 install and reboot. After the unregister and re-register of the dll, all seems to be working.

I've had Roxio installed for quite sometime with XP-SP2 using an ATI 9600 AIW.

Never had a problem.

Until 3 days ago.

I replaced my Boot drive.

I started having all kinds of difficulty booting. Strange errors.

Finally, I re-installed XP using the upgrade method.

At start-up, Windows Installer keeps poping up.

Then it would ask me to insert my DAO disk.

This would go on for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found this thread, ran the two lines of code, and Viola!

Everything works great.

Thanks for the tip.

:) Thanks for the fix. I have an ATI AIW 9600 (2006) radeon. I have Catalyst 6.2 and MMC 9.13 installed. I kept getting DAO.msi search errors after the roxio 8 install and reboot. After the unregister and re-register of the dll, all seems to be working.

I've had Roxio installed for quite sometime with XP-SP2 using an ATI 9600 AIW.

Never had a problem.

Until 3 days ago.

I replaced my Boot drive.

I started having all kinds of difficulty booting. Strange errors.

Finally, I re-installed XP using the upgrade method.

At start-up, Windows Installer keeps poping up.

Then it would ask me to insert my DAO disk.

This would go on for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found this thread, ran the two lines of code, and Viola!

Everything works great.

Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean you replaced your boot drive? If it came from another computer, there is no question as to why you had problems.

What do you mean you replaced your boot drive? If it came from another computer, there is no question as to why you had problems.

I bought a new, larger drive.

Cloned the old one using the installation disk supplied with the WD drive.

I bought a new, larger drive.

Cloned the old one using the installation disk supplied with the WD drive.

That should have worked fine, then. I am glad that the fix, in this thread, worked for you.

then.

2- Register it:

I have an ATI Radeon X800 All-In-Wonder with the latest Catalyst software installed. I had the exact same problem. I ran the above and it fixed it. Of course, it may not entirely be ATI's fault, but more than likely, they are part of the problem. Could be a combination of Catalyst and something else.

:huh:

Wow, it acutally worked!

ATI X1800XL AIW

Catalyst 6.3

MediaCenter 9.13

Wow, it acutally worked!

ATI X1800XL AIW

Catalyst 6.3

MediaCenter 9.13

This "DAO" issue has been a problem for me ever since I upgraded to EMC 7. At that time I had another ATI product installed, either a TV Wonder USB or a video card, I can't recall which. I remember searching on the problem, and I believe the solution from Roxio had something to do with reinstalling Microsoft Office, for some reason...apparently installing Office was supposed to solve the issue. Please excuse my poor recall of and lack of technical expertise in this issue. All I know is that upon even rebooting my computer, I would get this error message previously posted about DAO - the computer would ask for the location of the file for a couple of seconds, then would reverse itself spontanously when the entire process would start again, over and over. Sometimes I would get a dozen or so windows on the screen telling me that DAO could not be found.

I don't even recall how I resolved the issue because this happened way back when version 7 was released. I found that one can download and install this DAO/MDAC or whatever the heck it is from either ATI or from the Microsoft knowledge base, and I thought that this would solve the problem, but it does not solve it consistently, and now that I have upgraded to version 8 (boxed product), I am again seeing the same problem. I currently have an ATI 9800 video card as well as an ATI USB TV Tuner installed on my computer.

To date the best solution I have had is to do multiple installs of Windows using Acronis operating system selector and to install Easy Media Creator on an install that does not have the ATI-supplied programs (the USB TV tuner can be ignored, and XP SP2 has excellent support for the video card so that one does not need to install the software supplied by ATI). In other words, I decided that ATI software and Easy Media Creator could not coexist on the same Windows install.

I am eager to get home and try the solutions offered in these forums, but I am disappointed that this DAO issue has not been resolved over a period of at least several years....I would have thought that the involved companies would have posted an easy-to-find, easy-to-use program or software patch to correct this issue by now.

Frankcollela, you are a genius!

My computer started acting strangely last week (taking a very long time to boot) and, after running all my spyware, adware and anti-virus software, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.

After that, I started getting this DAO.msi error message about the time my Roxio software would run on startup. I googled various parts of the error message and read several responses, none of which helped. (this is, apparantly, not a problem limited to Roxio software).

I found your post, cut, pasted and ran the two lines and it worked!

Video Card : AT1 I 9800 Pro

Software: Roxio Easy Media Creator 8

Thanks Again! :)

I just upgraded to EMC 8 and started receiving the error message about the dao.msi file.

The unregister and reregister of the DLL solved the problem. Thanks.

I'm running a Dell 8250 with an All-in-Wonder Radeon 9000 pro card.

I don't remember what version of the ATI software download I'm running. I was having problems with the TV tuner after installing a webcam several months ago and I believe that XP found the driver when I rebuilt my system.

:) I just reinstalled Ver 8 and also the fix Ver 8.05 and again experienced the DAO problem.

I have used Roxio for a number of years as well as ATI and I dont know who is at fault except to say thanks for jogging my memory about registring the dll file.

It works !! and that is all that matters. Hat off to the chap who initially found the fix.

Regards,

Peter

I just installed a Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO2 and repaired Windows XP and I started having this problem with Easy Media Creator 7 but this fix worked, thanks!

then.

2- Register it:

The fix just worked for me, too. I am running ATI Radeon X600 Pro All-in-Wonder

Thanks.

then.

2- Register it:

This trick worked for me. THANK YOU!!

Jerry

then.

2- Register it:

Can anyone tell me do I install EMC 8 first? I want to make sure i do it right since I am working on a fresh install of XP and a fresh install of my ATI sofware and it is very stable. The last time i tried EMC 8 I had loads of problems. I have an 8500dv AIW ATI card.

I hope someone can tell me exactly how this is to be executed.

Thanks

Would appreciate help. I've also had the dao.msi --endless loop upon installation-where I can never get past install because it looks for the files. It does tell me ERROR 1706 Is that the same code you've rec'd?

I have been trying to run on a Sony laptop-- VGN FS 770w--1.86 processor, 1 gig video memory-- according to sony I DON'T HAVE an ATI card on this computer but rather an

Intel 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML. -- references to Legacy????

Is there some relationship between ATI and Intel or Legacy ?

I've tried the "repair" function on Office 2003 on the chance that Office added DAO files to the computer. ( in add remove there's a icon for DAO-- but wont' let me remove-- gets hung up trying to install/look for install --refers to ATI. If Sony is right not sure where that would have come from if no ATI card on the computer???

I have run scan disk & defrag after major problems with the computer finally have it up and running after 2 days of headaches. I am extremely nervous about reinstalling( again!) or making the edit changes suggested without knowing more about the chipset.

HELP! -- I have a deaf son and use the computer to communicate with him and I cannot afford to travel with a laptop that has been put out of commission due to this program.

I've run earlier versions of roxio on other computers with great success. Extremely disappointed in what is happening here. I also cannot seem to log in and out of the web support ( post a case) -- one time it lets me in and one time it doesn't. Same password/sign in.

I'm grateful for any help.

Edited by debbistage

If the above command line options are not working for you, you can remove the DAO from Add/Remove programs using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility available from the Microsoft website.

William

If the above command line options are not working for you, you can remove the DAO from Add/Remove programs using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility available from the Microsoft website.

William

Is there more than one version of Installer? I went to the one linked from Roxann that says to totally uninstall creator 7 (which is not my problem -- it won't let me add/remove DAO) - dates back to 8 2004?? Newer version?? Will it let me select only the program I want to remove and not mess up any others?

Thanks !

Glad I stumbled/googled this forum. The Registering and unregistering the Dao worked fine. This thread started in Febuary I'm surprised the problem hasn't been fixed by now. :)

Glad I stumbled/googled this forum. The Registering and unregistering the Dao worked fine. This thread started in Febuary I'm surprised the problem hasn't been fixed by now. :)

Surprised what problem isn't fixed? It looks fixed to me.

Surprised what problem isn't fixed? It looks fixed to me.

Software fixed? $70 and I have to repair it? Not to be flippant we're lucky to have the skills to complete the task, many folks out there have to pay someone to repair these minor problems.

Just figured Roxio would have been able to find the problem and stop it from happening given the time frame.

Sorry to have caused you any grief.

Back to lurking.

J