Dao.msi Error Fix

frankcolella

Question

1- Unregister it by typing this at the command line-

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

then.

2- Register it:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

Go to START/RUN then copy and paste the Unregister command in the run box. PRess OK

Do the same with the second command to register.

:) initialize the roxio product you are using.

If this fixes your problem, please post with the video adapter you are using.

This fix so far has worked on all the built by ATI AIW radeon and AVIO cards.

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

then.

2- Register it:

Go to START/RUN then copy and paste the Unregister command in the run box. PRess OK

This FIX worked for me... Using an ATI 9600 Series Video Card. What mystifies me is why this problem arose...???

Cordially

Frank - Tucson

This may sound stupid, but what do you mean by "unregistering it by typing this at the command line"? What "command line" are you talking about? Do you mean do this in DOS mode at a command line?

I have a Dell 4600i with an ATI Radeon X850 Pro card. I recently had a power supply failure which then messed up the hard drive. I replaced the power supply and then recovered the hard drive. I then created a new boot drive by copying the old drive over to a new drive using MaxBlast.

Ever since doing that I have had trouble with windows installer error messages. I think I got those cleared up but now I get the DAO.msi error message. I think your fix will work, but I want to make sure that I do it exactly as you state. Thanks!

MANY THANKS to frankcolella !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was having this problem with my Computer running Windows XP Pro SP2 and my Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD.

I have the ATI All In Wonder 2006 Series Video Card and when I Updated the Drivers to MMC 9.15 and then 9.16 from the 9.14 I continued getting the DAO.msi Error Message no matter how many times I Un-Installed and Re-Installed them trying to eliminate the Error.

AGAIN MANY THANKS to frankcolella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to Frankcolella

I was getting this problem and your fix did the trick (at least to this point). My video card is an ati aiw 1900.

would appreciate knowing how it was you arrived at this fix.

The original poster of the fix (Frankcolella) has not been on here since Feb/06.

:) Thanks to Frank Colella for addressing this fix. I have had a real problem installing EMC 9 - and had this DAO problem with Ver, 7.5 (never fixed) Tried installing EMC 9 - and startup locked up - used system restore to get back to 'before installing EMC 9' - re-installed EMC 7.5 with DAO problem - using RADEON X700 video card - applied Frank's fix - Voila - 7.5 working (Initialize) OK. I'll now attempt the EMC 9 install and report back. THANKS again Frank

Funny, I have the ATI Radeon 9800 and had no problem in the installation process. I had no problem when I had my ATI Radeon 9700 card, either.

It looks like it is something else on your computer causing the problem, not the Roxio software.

Or a combination of programs. :) I had no problems with my old card with two different ATI cards. It is almost impossible to diagnose a conflict like this except for some anti virus programs that always seem to cause problems. :huh:

then.

2- Register it:

I have an ATI Radeon X800 All-In-Wonder with the latest Catalyst software installed. I had the exact same problem. I ran the above and it fixed it. Of course, it may not entirely be ATI's fault, but more than likely, they are part of the problem. Could be a combination of Catalyst and something else.

:huh:

then.

2- Register it:

:ninja: initialize the roxio product you are using.

I have a Radeon 9200 and it solved the problem. Thank you, Norm

i guess i had two problems (i was hoping they were related):

1. the dao error

2. ati multimedia center applications opening "at random" ( at least i can't see the correlation)

first i did the dao removal - that seemed to take care of 1

upgraded to outlook 2003 (from 2000) and dao error came back

tried the reregistration fix mentioned here and that seemed to take care of 1 also.

however, still having problem 2 :)

any ideas?

i'm running xp pro w/sp2, ATI AIW 9600, ATI MMC 9.15.

thanks,

michael

Wow, it acutally worked!

ATI X1800XL AIW

Catalyst 6.3

MediaCenter 9.13

This "DAO" issue has been a problem for me ever since I upgraded to EMC 7. At that time I had another ATI product installed, either a TV Wonder USB or a video card, I can't recall which. I remember searching on the problem, and I believe the solution from Roxio had something to do with reinstalling Microsoft Office, for some reason...apparently installing Office was supposed to solve the issue. Please excuse my poor recall of and lack of technical expertise in this issue. All I know is that upon even rebooting my computer, I would get this error message previously posted about DAO - the computer would ask for the location of the file for a couple of seconds, then would reverse itself spontanously when the entire process would start again, over and over. Sometimes I would get a dozen or so windows on the screen telling me that DAO could not be found.

I don't even recall how I resolved the issue because this happened way back when version 7 was released. I found that one can download and install this DAO/MDAC or whatever the heck it is from either ATI or from the Microsoft knowledge base, and I thought that this would solve the problem, but it does not solve it consistently, and now that I have upgraded to version 8 (boxed product), I am again seeing the same problem. I currently have an ATI 9800 video card as well as an ATI USB TV Tuner installed on my computer.

To date the best solution I have had is to do multiple installs of Windows using Acronis operating system selector and to install Easy Media Creator on an install that does not have the ATI-supplied programs (the USB TV tuner can be ignored, and XP SP2 has excellent support for the video card so that one does not need to install the software supplied by ATI). In other words, I decided that ATI software and Easy Media Creator could not coexist on the same Windows install.

I am eager to get home and try the solutions offered in these forums, but I am disappointed that this DAO issue has not been resolved over a period of at least several years....I would have thought that the involved companies would have posted an easy-to-find, easy-to-use program or software patch to correct this issue by now.

I've had Roxio installed for quite sometime with XP-SP2 using an ATI 9600 AIW.

Never had a problem.

Until 3 days ago.

I replaced my Boot drive.

I started having all kinds of difficulty booting. Strange errors.

Finally, I re-installed XP using the upgrade method.

At start-up, Windows Installer keeps poping up.

Then it would ask me to insert my DAO disk.

This would go on for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found this thread, ran the two lines of code, and Viola!

Everything works great.

Thanks for the tip.

:) Thanks for the fix. I have an ATI AIW 9600 (2006) radeon. I have Catalyst 6.2 and MMC 9.13 installed. I kept getting DAO.msi search errors after the roxio 8 install and reboot. After the unregister and re-register of the dll, all seems to be working.

then.

2- Register it:

Can anyone tell me do I install EMC 8 first? I want to make sure i do it right since I am working on a fresh install of XP and a fresh install of my ATI sofware and it is very stable. The last time i tried EMC 8 I had loads of problems. I have an 8500dv AIW ATI card.

I hope someone can tell me exactly how this is to be executed.

Thanks

That did it!.... or so it seems... so far anyway... :blink:

Thanks for the fix.

HP Pavillion a1250n (AMD 64 Athlon X2)

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200

Added ATI TV WONDER PRO

Added WD 500 Gb HDD

NOTE! The Roxio (DAO) problem existed before the 'Add-ons'

Again, Thank you, all of you.

I've had Roxio installed for quite sometime with XP-SP2 using an ATI 9600 AIW.

Never had a problem.

Until 3 days ago.

I replaced my Boot drive.

I started having all kinds of difficulty booting. Strange errors.

Finally, I re-installed XP using the upgrade method.

At start-up, Windows Installer keeps poping up.

Then it would ask me to insert my DAO disk.

This would go on for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found this thread, ran the two lines of code, and Viola!

Everything works great.

Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean you replaced your boot drive? If it came from another computer, there is no question as to why you had problems.

Archived