Synching Secondary Audio To Video

str82vdo

Question

Does anyone know how to precisely synchronize an audio recording that was not recorded by the camera (i.e. non-native audio)?

I want to use a separate device to record audio while filming (in addition to the on-camera mic). I then want to make sure that a voice or sound heard by both microphones plays back at exactly the same time.

I searched the boards and did not find any info on this.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Don't know if this will help or not, but if there are some kind of pauses or intermissions in the audio, you can cut up sections of the audio, and synchronise every section, so even if you make a slight error, you won't experience the 5-10 minutes later issue, because it will be "re-set" every few minutes, so each set of audio-video synchronizations will only require you to deal with a few minutes... You know? Kinda cut it up into portions and sync. each part seperately, in the same timeline.

Does anyone know how to precisely synchronize an audio recording that was not recorded by the camera (i.e. non-native audio)?

I want to use a separate device to record audio while filming (in addition to the on-camera mic). I then want to make sure that a voice or sound heard by both microphones plays back at exactly the same time.

I searched the boards and did not find any info on this.

Thanks.

I don't know why you would want to do that, but it will be a trial and error thing to get them in sync. It may not be all that bad though. It is just a matter of moving the audio, recorded from the external recording source, one way or the other on the audio track in VideoWave.

Good luck.

A recent example was a choir performance that I wanted to have a high quality audio recording of, and be able to synch it to the video. I was filming from a distance, and the on camera mic was not cutting it.

If I set up a couple of mics closer and recorded it, I wanted to be able to synchronize the audio to the video (with or without the native audio). I did not want to see lips moving when they weren't supposed to!

I understand what you are saying about trying to align the start points manually. But, I could see how a slight error might show up more obviously 5 or 10 minutes later.

Any advice on using some sort of mark or reference point?

Guest mlpasley
A recent example was a choir performance that I wanted to have a high quality audio recording of, and be able to synch it to the video. I was filming from a distance, and the on camera mic was not cutting it.

If I set up a couple of mics closer and recorded it, I wanted to be able to synchronize the audio to the video (with or without the native audio). I did not want to see lips moving when they weren't supposed to!

I understand what you are saying about trying to align the start points manually. But, I could see how a slight error might show up more obviously 5 or 10 minutes later.

Any advice on using some sort of mark or reference point?

There are programs that do what you want, but they are more professional type software that cost a lot more.

You could chop that sound track into individual sound tracks for each song. Usually with a choir performance, you'll have a 'lull' between the applause and the next song and you could use the 'spike' where they begin singing again to allign it with the native audio using the time on the native audio. It won't be easy though.

Archived