• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

AVI File Problem

hm671

Question

I'm using EMC9 and MyDVD9 that came pre-installed with my HP laptop a few weeks ago. I haven't installed any new media players or codec packages. It's all running on Vista.

I'm unable to add some of my AVI files to a DVD project..... they have either a Xvid or DivX codec. This doesn't effect all of them only about half. I've read the pinned post about problems with EMC9 and DivX but it doesn't seem to be relevant in this case. My divx codec appears as "Divxdec.ax" - not either of the ones in the post. Also some of them are Xvid files.

EMC9 advertises it's compatible with DivX, Xvid and AVI so is there any way to fix this problem?

10 answers to this question

I'm using EMC9 and MyDVD9 that came pre-installed with my HP laptop a few weeks ago. I haven't installed any new media players or codec packages. It's all running on Vista.

I'm unable to add some of my AVI files to a DVD project..... they have either a Xvid or DivX codec. This doesn't effect all of them only about half. I've read the pinned post about problems with EMC9 and DivX but it doesn't seem to be relevant in this case. My divx codec appears as "Divxdec.ax" - not either of the ones in the post. Also some of them are Xvid files.

EMC9 advertises it's compatible with DivX, Xvid and AVI so is there any way to fix this problem?

To my knowledge, I've always had to download and install the xvid codec to get it to run. It should, however, work with divx files. Xvid codecs can be found here.

Well it's about a 3rd of the Xvid one and half of the Divx videos. They all play absolutely fine and come from different sources...some minidv tape others DVD and some dowloaded.

Whats the best way to check if the files are in some way corrupt? Video inspector only gives me the codec details

Well it's about a 3rd of the Xvid one and half of the Divx videos. They all play absolutely fine and come from different sources...some minidv tape others DVD and some dowloaded.

Whats the best way to check if the files are in some way corrupt? Video inspector only gives me the codec details

Never tried this tool but a google search found it. Might be worth a look.

I think it's odd that some work and some don't and don't have an answer for you.

You have to pay before you can use the video fixer unfortunately.

In Gspot it says "Codecs are installed" in the status area and everything plays fine.

Would it be easier to just shove everything thru windows movie maker, converting it to something else and try with the new file?

To my knowledge, I've always had to download and install the xvid codec to get it to run. It should, however, work with divx files. Xvid codecs can be found here.

Well I've installed the code from the link above (after creating a restore point!) but theres no change - still some (not all) Xvid and DivX videos I can't add in.

I'd rather not have to give up and buy a copy of Nero!

Well I've installed the code from the link above (after creating a restore point!) but theres no change - still some (not all) Xvid and DivX videos I can't add in.

I'd rather not have to give up and buy a copy of Nero!

It's very odd for some to work and others not to. Maybe you can try removing the codecs and reinstalling. Could be a conflict with the codecs themselves. Just a guess.

Archived