Emc8 Capturing Video Scenes

keosa16-stuff@yahoo.com

Question

I have had so many problems with EMC 8. I don't know if I am stupid or what. You guys certainly seem a lot

more knowledgeable about videos than me. I have been doing slide show videos with great success using

WMM and Photo Story 3. I have one DVD slide show with 4 differents songs on it and have been able to use it on our wide screen tv with a little tweaking here and there. It basically is a family history with some old

scanned in pictures and very new pictures. It took me awhile to get to know both programs and how they

work but it was worth the effort. I have done many different DVD slide shows to date.

I love doing that type of thing and thought I would like to try transferring VCR tapes to DVD's.

That's when my problems started.

I researched different programs to see which would be a good choice and came up with EMC8. (I had an old

version (5) which worked great) I pre-ordered it and never got it. I ended up seeing it in Staples and cancelled the one I ordered. In the meantime while I was waiting I bought Pinnacle. It came with the the

capture hardware. It took me awhile to learn that program but it doesn't seem to be very good. Choppy

video's etc. Then I got EMC8 which immediatley crashed my computer and messed up half of my programs. I also had Sonic My DVD which

now wouldn't work because of MY DVD 8 I guess. I did the update for EMC8 and it seemes a little more stable. My problem is there are so many features in EMC8 -Video Wave-Cine Player-MYD DVD etc that I'm confused.

When I caputre a video and want to edit the video I can't. When I use Video wave and import the movie

I caputured in EMC8 there are no scenes. I read about going into Media Import and right clicking on the movie and selecting detect scenes. I did that and it did detect the scenes. But from there I don't know what to do. I go back to Video wave select

that movie and it is the same thing no scenes. Then I read that I need to lock media import with the scenes

there and bring them into video wave by selecting them and placing them on the storyboard. This seems crazy to me. I could see it if I was

importing the video from another program but I'm not. I don't if I am doing something wrong or what.

If I capture the movie in EMC8 and bring it in to WMM the scenes are all there and that is without going

to Media import and selecting to detect the scenes. The problem is that they import upside down.

I would just use WMM to capture and edit but it does not do the audio from the VCR tape. So WMM answer

is to import from another capture progam like EMC8 and the audio will be there. That is true it is but the

clips are upside down. I have other video on my computer from a video camera and when you see them

in the video folder they are also upside down. When you view them they view right side up. All this upside down stuff started after EMC8 was installed. Some post said to try upgrade my video card

Radeon x300 but that has not helped.

I'm sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.

Computer specs:

Dell Dimension 8400-Pentium 4

3.0GHz w/ HT

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400 MHz

Radeon X3000 Video card

Sony CD-RW CRX216E

HL-DT-ST-DVD+RW GRA-4120B

160GB HD

200GB External HD

WindowsXP Professional -SP2

23 answers to this question

Here is what I have been doing to capture the video

I open Roxio go to most frequent tasks on the right hand side.

I choose capture –which brings me to Roxio Media Import.

I select - Pinnacle Systems Movie Box Deluxe

My input is - Composite

My Sound is - SB Audigy audio

Under advance the only option not grayed out is capture filter which is - NTSC_M

There are other filters to choose but I think that is correct?

The quality I choose is -General purpose editing, best quality.

I name it and save to my video file.

I click - capture now

When I am finished capturing

I close Media import and choose edit video. Which brings me to Video Wave

These are the 3 different ways I have tried to get this to work.

1) I select add photo/video. It brings the video in but no scenes and there is no option to detect scenes.

2) I select new production and add photo/video. It brings the video in but no scenes

and there is no option to detect scenes.

3) I select new production and Show media selector. Which brings me to the video

I right click on it and choose detect scenes. After it detects the scenes I select them

all and paste into the timeline/storyboard. This does not seem right to me. In any

other capture programs the scenes are automatically there.

Thanks for the detail. I'm going to call in some reinforcements. Some of the other guys do this much more than I do so if there is a problem, they'll see it and be in a better position to offer you better help.

Stay tuned.

Guest mlpasley

I'm confused..... what was the question?

If you don't like doing Scene Detect and dragging the individual scenes onto the Storyline, you can just drag the entire video onto the storyline, switch to the Timeline View and 'split' the video into the scenes you want. I like this method best because you can do precision trimming more quickly. You just delete the scenes you don't want.

:)

First, your Dell came with preinstalled software, some of which, conflicts with EMC8. While you don't have to remove all of it, you can't have Sonic DLA and EMC Drag to Disc installed at the same time. Since EMC has more to offer (my opinion) there's no need to have both.

Have you tried switching to the Timeline mode in VW?

Upside down video is usually do to the need for the proper codecs are updated drivers for your video card. Most likely your card is fine since I have the same one you do with no problems so it may be the codec problem. Let's make sure there are no conflicts with your software first then we'll worry about the rest. Make sure you have removed Sonic DLA, reboot and then see what happens.

I've had the same Visual C++ error message. I had Sonic Record Now Ver 7.3 installed with Sonic DLA. I removed Sonic DLA and nothing changed. I then removed Record Now in it's entirety and nothing changed.The only active application running with EMC 8 is Zone Alarm. Even with no media applications active and Zone Alarm disabled, as soon as I try to start capture, the Visual C++ error message pops up and EMC locks up. in microsft's knowledge base I found an article(Microsft Article 884538 that indicates that there may be problems if a program was written around earlier versions of Visual C++.If the /MR and /MD compiler switches were used, there are two drivers, Msvcrt.dll and Msvcirt.dll aand the version of these drivers is 7.0x . If you have anyu other suggestions, I would be glad to try them befroe I give up on EMC. Thank you.

I'm confused..... what was the question?

If you don't like doing Scene Detect and dragging the individual scenes onto the Storyline, you can just drag the entire video onto the storyline, switch to the Timeline View and 'split' the video into the scenes you want. I like this method best because you can do precision trimming more quickly. You just delete the scenes you don't want.

I'm confused too. I dragged the video onto the storyline,switched to the Timeline view. When I select the

video on the timeline view and select split I get this message " Cannot split currently selected item. Make sure the positon indicator is positioned over the selection or right click to split"

What I see when I bring the video in to the storyline is one pane with the video when I switch to timeline the I see the video and a blue box next to it with the name of the video. I select the video itself on the timeline

and then split. I get that same message. If I select the box with the name of video I get the same message. It doesn't matter if I right click or select the split button.

I played the video in timeline. Selected the the video on the timeline and then split. It did give me a scene. So I played it again and kept doing that until the video ended. The scenes were there and when I changed to storyline the sceneswere all there. It seems to me that is very labor intensive especially if you have a long video. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

All I want to know is the correct method to get scenes into the storyline/timeline. I want to be able to

add audio and narrate to some of the individual scenes as I do in a slideshow.

Is doing the scene detect first and dragging them into the production the way this program is supposed to

work?

Before you can split (cut) a clip, you must first select that clip by clicking on it once. You will know this has happened by the thin yellow line around it. When you split, the clip to the left is automatically selected and this can be confusing especially if you need to make another cut to the right. You then have to click on the clip to the right to make the second cut.

post-49-1140272113.jpg

Before you can split (cut) a clip, you must first select that clip by clicking on it once. You will know this has happened by the thin yellow line around it. When you split, the clip to the left is automatically selected and this can be confusing especially if you need to make another cut to the right. You then have to click on the clip to the right to make the second cut.

I have been doing exactly what you say to do. Mine looks just like your attachment. I was going to send it but I don't see the icon for an attachment. I get that same message I was getting before. if I highlight the video just as you have shown and select split. The only way it will split is if I play the video, select the scene that is running and select split. Then the video stops playing and I have to do that over and over again. Play,select,split for each scene.

Guest mlpasley
I have been doing exactly what you say to do. Mine looks just like your attachment. I was going to send it but I don't see the icon for an attachment. I get that same message I was getting before. if I highlight the video just as you have shown and select split. The only way it will split is if I play the video, select the scene that is running and select split. Then the video stops playing and I have to do that over and over again. Play,select,split for each scene.

That's not right, and I can see your problem. Once you stop the preview, can you use the other buttons to advance or go back frame by frame. If you trim exactly where you want the scene to begin or end, then you avoid the error message.

You get that error message if you try to split again within 10 frames of the beginning or end. You have to click on Adjust duration and mark the beginning or end frame if you need to take out just a frame or two.

Do you see that long bar with the triangle on top at the beginning of the scene? You should be able to grab that with your mouse and drag that along the video. It can be a little hard to find until you hit the play button in the preview window.

That's not right, and I can see your problem. Once you stop the preview, can you use the other buttons to advance or go back frame by frame. If you trim exactly where you want the scene to begin or end, then you avoid the error message.

You get that error message if you try to split again within 10 frames of the beginning or end. You have to click on Adjust duration and mark the beginning or end frame if you need to take out just a frame or two.

Do you see that long bar with the triangle on top at the beginning of the scene? You should be able to grab that with your mouse and drag that along the video. It can be a little hard to find until you hit the play button in the preview window.

I have tried what you said and I see what you mean but it is very labor intensive for a long video.

I guess the best way is to autodetect the scenes first and copy.

I thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it very much. These forums are much more helpful then

the actual program vendors.

I have tried what you said and I see what you mean but it is very labor intensive for a long video.

I guess the best way is to autodetect the scenes first and copy.

I thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it very much. These forums are much more helpful then

the actual program vendors.

Everything in video work is labor intensive. It is the nature of the beast, but I really enjoy it.

First, your Dell came with preinstalled software, some of which, conflicts with EMC8. While you don't have to remove all of it, you can't have Sonic DLA and EMC Drag to Disc installed at the same time. Since EMC has more to offer (my opinion) there's no need to have both.

Upside down video is usually do to the need for the proper codecs are updated drivers for your video card. Most likely your card is fine since I have the same one you do with no problems so it may be the codec problem. Let's make sure there are no conflicts with your software first then we'll worry about the rest. Make sure you have removed Sonic DLA, reboot and then see what happens.

I have been doing exactly what you say to do. Mine looks just like your attachment. I was going to send it but I don't see the icon for an attachment. I get that same message I was getting before. if I highlight the video just as you have shown and select split. The only way it will split is if I play the video, ....

Guess I didn't finish that statement... oops. THAT LITTLE BLUE VERTICAL LINE must be within the selected clip. Otherwise, you will get that error message.

I originally did remove Sonic DLA but the Drag to Disc didn't work at all. I use it all

the time so I uninstalled EMC8 for the umpteenth time and put Sonic DLA back on.

When I reinstalled EMC8 I opted not to remove DLA. Drag to Disc and DLA both

worked.

I bit the bullet and removed DLA and Drag to Disch seems to work okay.

I had tried switching to the timeline before as well and it didn't make any difference.

I just did a small video imported into video wave and it is the same as before. I brought it into WMM and it was not upside down. But my

other videos in the video folder that were upside down still are. I'm not sure what that

means.

Guest mlpasley

Everything in video editing is VERY LABOR intensive. I've read where people spend approximately four hours or more on a one hour video, and if you're learning a program, the first one will probably take much longer. Unfortunately, it's not as 'easy' as you'd think.

Everyone needs to find the editing style that suits the way they and their computer can edit easiest.

For me auto detecting the scenes, dragging the scenes onto the storyboard, and then using Adjust duration to fine tune the beginning and end of the scene is very frustrating.

When I cut the video into scenes manually, I can pick out the last frame of a scene and split it there, then I go to the first good frame of what will be the next scene and split it there. Then I highlight all those bad frames in the scene that I just created and delete that scene.

One thing most of us do is to capture in smaller amounts of time. I usually capture only 15-20 minutes at a time because the editing goes faster. The computer doesn't have to generate a preview from such a large file so it works faster. I work on the first capture and when I'm done with that, I add the second capture to the storyline, etc.

Once you've conquered learning the program, you'll find that video editing can be a lot of fun. And believe it or not, this program is a whole lot easier to use than some others. :)

I originally did remove Sonic DLA but the Drag to Disc didn't work at all. I use it all

the time so I uninstalled EMC8 for the umpteenth time and put Sonic DLA back on.

When I reinstalled EMC8 I opted not to remove DLA. Drag to Disc and DLA both

worked.

I bit the bullet and removed DLA and Drag to Disch seems to work okay.

I had tried switching to the timeline before as well and it didn't make any difference.

I just did a small video imported into video wave and it is the same as before. I brought it into WMM and it was not upside down. But my

other videos in the video folder that were upside down still are. I'm not sure what that

means.

I find it hard to believe that DLA and Drag to Disc are both installed and both work. That's strange unless I've missed something new. Maybe EMC's installation has turned off DLA but I doubt it.

I can't offer any more suggestions as to why you can't see the scenes you've captured. As for the upside down problem, I'm inclined to think it could be a codec problem but am stumped as well.

I find it hard to believe that DLA and Drag to Disc are both installed and both work. That's strange unless I've missed something new. Maybe EMC's installation has turned off DLA but I doubt it.

I can't offer any more suggestions as to why you can't see the scenes you've captured. As for the upside down problem, I'm inclined to think it could be a codec problem but am stumped as well.

I'm not sure I understand the codec's. But what you are saying is that if I capture

a movie the scenes should be there?

I'm not sure I understand the codec's. But what you are saying is that if I capture

a movie the scenes should be there?

Yes, they certainly should. I admit, I'm not as versatile with VW as many other gurus but I've never had any problems capturing from my camcorder. I've only done so with a vcr twice, again, with no problems other than having cables chewed up bya cat.

Yes, they certainly should. I admit, I'm not as versatile with VW as many other gurus but I've never had any problems capturing from my camcorder. I've only done so with a vcr twice, again, with no problems other than having cables chewed up bya cat.

I appreciate your trying to help me. It is very frustrating for me.

Is it possible I don't have the proper codec installed? I'm not sure as I said before that much about them

I know where they are in WMM but not in Roxio.

I appreciate your trying to help me. It is very frustrating for me.

Is it possible I don't have the proper codec installed? I'm not sure as I said before that much about them

I know where they are in WMM but not in Roxio.

The easiest way to find out is to use Gspot which allows you to import your video file into it so you can see what codecs it needs and what you have on your system. This might be a problem with the upside down part but I can't see how it would affect your missing scenes.

I'm baffled myself.

Maybe if you could let us know step by step what you're doing. As you do each step, write down what you're doing and what order you're doing it in. Maybe something will stand out.

The easiest way to find out is to use Gspot which allows you to import your video file into it so you can see what codecs it needs and what you have on your system. This might be a problem with the upside down part but I can't see how it would affect your missing scenes.

I'm baffled myself.

Maybe if you could let us know step by step what you're doing. As you do each step, write down what you're doing and what order you're doing it in. Maybe something will stand out.

I downloaded the Gspot and opened the video into it. This is what it says.

"This video is not compressed, or is compressed using a very simple method. As such, there is no 'codec' required to play it; all of the necessary software is already 'built in to' the O/S

The video for this file should play fine. Check the audio section for audio codec information"

I will write down exactly what I do and post it tomorrow. Thanks again.

I downloaded the Gspot and opened the video into it. This is what it says.

"This video is not compressed, or is compressed using a very simple method. As such, there is no 'codec' required to play it; all of the necessary software is already 'built in to' the O/S

The video for this file should play fine. Check the audio section for audio codec information"

I will write down exactly what I do and post it tomorrow. Thanks again.

I'm really not surprised since it does play in WMP. I hope I can help you better than I've already have.

Sorry if this is obvious. Also make sure that you have the timeline stretched out so you can see the slider on the video track better. Sometime if it is not, you are tying to place cuts in too narrow a view. :)

Guess I didn't finish that statement... oops. THAT LITTLE BLUE VERTICAL LINE must be within the selected clip. Otherwise, you will get that error message.

I'm really not surprised since it does play in WMP. I hope I can help you better than I've already have.

Here is what I have been doing to capture the video

I open Roxio go to most frequent tasks on the right hand side.

I choose capture –which brings me to Roxio Media Import.

I select - Pinnacle Systems Movie Box Deluxe

My input is - Composite

My Sound is - SB Audigy audio

Under advance the only option not grayed out is capture filter which is - NTSC_M

There are other filters to choose but I think that is correct?

The quality I choose is -General purpose editing, best quality.

I name it and save to my video file.

I click - capture now

When I am finished capturing

I close Media import and choose edit video. Which brings me to Video Wave

These are the 3 different ways I have tried to get this to work.

1) I select add photo/video. It brings the video in but no scenes and there is no option to detect scenes.

2) I select new production and add photo/video. It brings the video in but no scenes

and there is no option to detect scenes.

3) I select new production and Show media selector. Which brings me to the video

I right click on it and choose detect scenes. After it detects the scenes I select them

all and paste into the timeline/storyboard. This does not seem right to me. In any

other capture programs the scenes are automatically there.

Archived