kitykity

What Happened To Mp4 Support?

Question

So... what happened?

With the invent of the new video ipod, I was thrilled that 3ivx worked with Roxio 7--I could make cool movies with my Video Wave and then put them on my ipod.

Then my parents got me Roxio 8 for Christmas, and I was thrilled--until I went to encode a movie with Video Wave, and realized that the mp4 support was gone.

I reinstalled 3ivx, and I even talked to one of their developers... they said they have been trying to contact the people at Roxio, but they have not heard back from them.

What happened? With the video iPod being so popular, this seems like the WORST time in the world for Roxio to drop something that is so important to the video-blogging world... please tell me there will be an update in the future that allows mp4 support again...

Thanks so much for listening.

Susan

http://vlog.kitykity.com

(all movies encoded with the Roxio 7 version of Video Wave and can be played on the video iPod)

12 answers to this question

I agree, with most personal video players like the ipod and Playstation Portable usning mp4 for video I would say it is a must have for premium software like Roxio

It is indeed a must have, and I don't understand why mp4 support (thanks to 3ivx) worked in Roxio 7, but now it doesn't work in Roxio 8...

...and not only is anyone from Roxio not commenting here, I was even told in another thread that mp4s haven't ever worked in Roxio! That's baloney!

Can someone else please reply to this? Or, if you would like Roxio to support mp4 format, please voice your concerns here!

Susan

It has been over a week, and I still have not gotten an answer as to why Roxio no longer supports mp4s. Why would any software company have support for a file format in one version, then REMOVE that support in a newer version of the software? Can someone please reply?

Who else out there used to use Roxio to create mp4s for the new video ipod? Probably most of them don't use these forums... I'll continue to wait for a reply on this.

Seems like I can create an output template that uses the Microsoft MPEG4 codec. Try this:

Load Videowave

Create / edit your video

When finished, click on the icon that looks like a film reel beside the burn icon.

You should be in the MAKE MOVIE dialog box

In the section entitles VIDEO FILE QUALITY, click NEW.

Give your custom template a unique name. MPEG4 would do

For FILE TYPE select AVI

For COMPRESSION, pull down the list and select MS MPEG4

Set frame rate

Set frame size

Set audio

Click OK

YOu shol dbe back to the MAKE MOVIE with your template

Press the CREATE VIDEO FILE

It has been over a week, and I still have not gotten an answer as to why Roxio no longer supports mp4s. Why would any software company have support for a file format in one version, then REMOVE that support in a newer version of the software? Can someone please reply?

Who else out there used to use Roxio to create mp4s for the new video ipod? Probably most of them don't use these forums... I'll continue to wait for a reply on this.

Regarding the "why would it be in one version and get removed from another", dont' underestimate the power of the movie and recording industries. THIS IS PURE SPECULATION AND MAY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE.

The movie and music industries routinely control the capabilities of a wide array of recording and copying technologies. Perhaps Roxio needed some time to sort out either a threat of lawsuit or actual lawsuit which resulted in them removing support for that format. You never know... :)

Edited by jrosenth@adelphia.net

Or licensing issues / cost. Like I posted earlier, the Microsoft MPEG4 codec is still included, but it uses the AVI wrapper. Even Apple uses the MOV file format for most its devices.

G--Thanks for the info. I will try that when I get home. I wonder what differences the MS encoder has over 3ivx...

...and if it were some kind of licensing issue, I wish they could just tell us... mp4 support is one of the very top reasons I use Roxio at all...

(oh, and I notice they took my dust and scratches out of the default overlays as well! *sniffle*)

:)

Susan

Or licensing issues / cost. Like I posted earlier, the Microsoft MPEG4 codec is still included, but it uses the AVI wrapper. Even Apple uses the MOV file format for most its devices.

I've installed MS MPEG4 codec on my PC, and I can create a template for the video that will use it. But what about AUDIO? In order to create a Video iPod compliant video, don't I have to compress the audio using an AAC codec for the audio? I don't see a selection for the AAC audio codec in my audio codec selections.

Any advice?

:)

Edited by thurkily

Have you TRIED to play one of these files on th iPod? Although AAC is the preferred codec, I'm sure it supports MP3 and other codecs. But then again... it is an APPLE product which is known for propietary formats. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple forces you to use QuickTime Pro to create files for the iPod video.

Edited by ggrussell

See, here's the thing... I also installed the MS mp4 codec you recommended, ggrussell, but the file it wants to create is still an .avi file.

In Roxio 7, with 3ivx installed also, I had the option to create mp4 files with an mp4 extension (which, consequentially, work fine on the video ipod).

So, the answer is no--you do not *have* to use Quicktime Pro. There are also programs out there (like Xilisoft) which will convert any kind of movie file into mp4 format for you.

I'm just trying to skip that extra step by doing it all in Roxio--like I used to do in Roxio 7.

Susan

Have you TRIED to play one of these files on th iPod? Although AAC is the preferred codec, I'm sure it supports MP3 and other codecs. But then again... it is an APPLE product which is known for propietary formats. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple forces you to use QuickTime Pro to create files for the iPod video.