REDWAGON

Lightscribe Drive And Media

Question

I just recently purchased a new HP notebook computer. I ordered the "LightScribe" CD/DVDW TS-L532M optical drive. I am running EMC 7.1.1.189 and after reading some of the 7.x posts I didn't think that 7.1 would recognize this particular drive. IT DOES. I have also burned a DVD using the drive and used a Verbatim (LightScribe) media disk to burn the label onto it with the LightScribe ability. Everything worked great EXCEPT--For a pretty simple label design, it took a little over 22 minutes to burn the label. NOT GOOD !!!

And by the way, my design was in color and the LightScribe media only burns a very dull looking off gold color rather than the original design colors. To me it's a waste of time and until they come out with media and a drive that can burn a label in full color and in a lot less time, I will stick with my stick on labels and EMC's label (or Neato's) labeling programs !!

Other than that, the drive works well and I have no problems with it and EMC 7.1.1.189.

By the way, the new HP notebook is a full blown ZD8000, and I love it.

Frank............

I just recently purchased a new HP notebook computer. I ordered the "LightScribe" CD/DVDW TS-L532M optical drive. I am running EMC 7.1.1.189 and after reading some of the 7.x posts I didn't think that 7.1 would recognize this particular drive. IT DOES. I have also burned a DVD using the drive and used a Verbatim (LightScribe) media disk to burn the label onto it with the LightScribe ability. Everything worked great EXCEPT--For a pretty simple label design, it took a little over 22 minutes to burn the label. NOT GOOD !!!

And by the way, my design was in color and the LightScribe media only burns a very dull looking off gold color rather than the original design colors. To me it's a waste of time and until they come out with media and a drive that can burn a label in full color and in a lot less time, I will stick with my stick on labels and EMC's label (or Neato's) labeling programs !!

Other than that, the drive works well and I have no problems with it and EMC 7.1.1.189.

By the way, the new HP notebook is a full blown ZD8000, and I love it.

Frank............

Congrats on the new toy Frank. It is a matter of opinion but I don't see the need for taking the extra 20-30 minutes to make a label. That's what Sharpie's for.

I agree Paul.LightScribe is a cool idea but if it takes that long I'm not sure it's worth it.I've never had much luck with stick on labels.No matter who's they are they usually start to peel off causing nothing but troubles.Sharpies rule!!!

Nice new toy Frank.I have an older HP laptop and have been very pleased with it.Haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it's going on 4 years old.

Edited by tbrewst

LightScribe is in its infancy. I thought that I read somewhere that some of them do color now, but for me, it sure isn't worth it for now.

Guest mlpasley

And did you read the fine print that says the Lightscribe label will fade if exposed to too much light? It sounded a lot like copies that used to be made on thermal paper. (And if you remember thermal paper, you're probably approaching retirement. )

I use sharpies now myself and hope that I'll be able to read my own writing. :)

Thanks guys for all the comments. And if it wasn't for the fact that I had a choice of either the Lightscribe or an equivilant DL drive I probably wouldn't have had it in my order. Anyway, the drive works well and have had no problems with it so far using it with EMC and other programs as well. And the HP is full of great hardware. The P4 3.2 GHZ processor is fast but when used in a notebook, the battery doesn't last as long as you would like. So far after about 4 complete battery drains and then 100% charges, the battery lasts about 2 hours doing some hard work. The 17" wide screen is great for watching DVD's too. The one really nice thing about HP is they give you all the restore CD's, the original (OEM of course) WIN XP operating CD and all the CD's for the programming that is included with the purchase. That doesn't happen with many of the other computer manufactures.

One last comment: I ordered each part of the computer as a custom built one. And guess where it was shipped from ?? Tracking with FedX showed the following: Shanghi China, Anchorage, Alaska, Indiana, Los Angeles, Rialto, Ca, San Bernardino, CA and then to my place. (It only took 5 days too) !!! ROFLMAO !! :):huh:

I have never had any problems with my Neato labels and wonder why you have had some problems (tbrewst) ?

Cheers

Frank.........

Thermal paper,ml?How bout punch cards for computers?The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?But I digress...sorry...lol

A buddy of mine just bought a new laptop also Frank.His is a Dell.Guess where it shipped from?Shanghai...lmao.

Edited by tbrewst

And did you read the fine print that says the Lightscribe label will fade if exposed to too much light? It sounded a lot like copies that used to be made on thermal paper. (And if you remember thermal paper, you're probably approaching retirement. )

I use sharpies now myself and hope that I'll be able to read my own writing. :)

Good googly moogly! I certainly remember thermal paper. One of our best HP calculators printed out on thermal paper. LOLLOL

And, it wasn't all that many years ago. Hmmmm, well, maybe it was. :huh:

Hey Bruce, I still have my HP calculator and the printer that prints to that small roll of thermal paper. And believe it or not, it still works. I still have all the extra modules for the calculator depending on what you wanted to do. Those modules were great. They had all that pre-programmed stuff on them. I used that little baby when I went in to take the Professional exam for my Civil engineering license. Don't know what I would have done without it :)

Frank.....

Hey Bruce, I still have my HP calculator and the printer that prints to that small roll of thermal paper. And believe it or not, it still works. I still have all the extra modules for the calculator depending on what you wanted to do. Those modules were great. They had all that pre-programmed stuff on them. I used that little baby when I went in to take the Professional exam for my Civil engineering license. Don't know what I would have done without it :)

Frank.....

I used mine at my PE exam, too. lol I liked it, because it was large enough that my fat fingers always hit the right key, but in a quiet place like that exam, the keys sounded like thunder when depressing them. They made an audible click.

I have it somewhere in the house, but the magnetic strips that you ran through them, all got scratched up and no longer worked the last time I tried it, which was about 14 years ago.

Good Googly Moogly...sounds like a little Zappa to me...my hero...lol

It's actually 'great, googly, moogly' and you up northeners know you need to watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.

Jeez, us guys are old and this is most liklely over most peoples heads.

I was allowing him some poetic license...lol.I don't live "up north" anymore and not many people have Huskies down here in the desert southwest,well "high" desert anyways.And don't rub it Nanook,or whip on any baby seals.... :).That said I think I'll ride off on my pygmy pony.

Edited by tbrewst

I was allowing him some poetic license...lol.I don't live "up north" anymore and not many people have Huskies down here in the desert southwest,well "high" desert anyways.And don't rub it Nanook,or whip on any baby seals.... :).That said I think I'll ride off on my pygmy pony.

Thanks for the break on the poetic license. LOLLOL It is close to -30°F right now. The desert would look pretty good to me.

Thermal paper,ml?How bout punch cards for computers?The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?But I digress...sorry...lol

I remember thermal paper and I remember the Beatles on the Jack Paar show, a month before they wre on Ed Sullivan.

Grandpabruce: Come down to Colorado. It is only -11 this morning in the high desert.

I remember thermal paper and I remember the Beatles on the Jack Paar show, a month before they wre on Ed Sullivan.

Grandpabruce: Come down to Colorado. It is only -11 this morning in the high desert.

I think 21 in Seattle is quite cold enough.

I remember thermal paper, but not kindly. Took forever.

Lynn

I agree with you Lynn, mid twenties is too cold for me, let alone -11. I am looking forward to spring/summer. I don't remember thermal paper, not because I am younger :) then you guys, just got into techy stuff much later. :huh:

I agree with you Lynn, mid twenties is too cold for me, let alone -11. I am looking forward to spring/summer. I don't remember thermal paper, not because I am younger :) then you guys, just got into techy stuff much later. :huh:

You didn't work for a boss who used equipment that used it, you mean.

Lynn

Now you want to talk about old ? I can remember when "T.I." came out with a small calulator that could add, subtract, multiply and divide and----could also find all the trig functions for and angle you wanted, right down to 9 places !!!! I thought that little black box was the end of the world of technology. I still have that one too, but the batteries are dead as a door nail.

I'm older than dirt !!! But as I say to all---I feel like I'm still 25----Oh yeah !!!

LOL

Frank.........

Now you want to talk about old ? I can remember when "T.I." came out with a small calulator that could add, subtract, multiply and divide and----could also find all the trig functions for and angle you wanted, right down to 9 places !!!! I thought that little black box was the end of the world of technology. I still have that one too, but the batteries are dead as a door nail.

I'm older than dirt !!! But as I say to all---I feel like I'm still 25----Oh yeah !!!

LOL

Frank.........

Those were so expensive, my brother had one stolen in high school and my dad made a homeowners claim to get partially reimbursed! :)

You're right Paul. Those little babies were really expensive when they first came out. I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine at that time but it was around $350. That almost broke my bank !! At that time I was still using a slide rule to do some of my work. Holy Googly Moogly, now that was a long time ago !!!

:) Frank.....

You're right Paul. Those little babies were really expensive when they first came out. I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine at that time but it was around $350. That almost broke my bank !! At that time I was still using a slide rule to do some of my work. Holy Googly Moogly, now that was a long time ago !!!

:) Frank.....

LOL I used the slide rule that my Dad used when he attended Michigan Tech, my alma mater, too. HP had just come out with the HP35 and it sold for $395. The next year they came out with the HP45, and the price of the HP35 dropped to $295. I got a student loan and snapped up one of those puppies(HP35). That was in 1973. LOL! I still have it in a storage box, somewhere.

Edited by grandpabruce

Well, I had a hard time switching from "T.I." to "HP" as that reverse Polish logic really gave me fits till I finally learned how to use it. After that I always told others that still used the TI that at least my calulator didn't have a "Parallel" bar key. That usually got them to thinking. From the time we were starting in school to learn math, it was always "2 plus 2 EQUALS 4". It takes a while to find that "Equal" key on an HP. LOL.

Now about that "ABACUS"------- :huh::):D

Frank.....

Well, I had a hard time switching from "T.I." to "HP" as that reverse Polish logic really gave me fits till I finally learned how to use it. After that I always told others that still used the TI that at least my calulator didn't have a "Parallel" bar key. That usually got them to thinking. From the time we were starting in school to learn math, it was always "2 plus 2 EQUALS 4". It takes a while to find that "Equal" key on an HP. LOL.

Now about that "ABACUS"------- :huh::):D

Frank.....

RPN is the only way that I can use a calculator. I still have, and use, my HP42S that I bought in 1990 for $75. HP no longer makes calculators. The last time that I saw the HP42S on E-Bay, one that was in decent shape was selling for $350! It looks like the RPN addiction is serious. I have no clue what I will do when my 42S goes belly up.

Edited by grandpabruce

You know what Bruce----I think you are getting close to being as old as dirt too !!! LOL :huh::)

Frank....