Lightscribe Drive And Media

REDWAGON

Question

I just recently purchased a new HP notebook computer. I ordered the "LightScribe" CD/DVDW TS-L532M optical drive. I am running EMC 7.1.1.189 and after reading some of the 7.x posts I didn't think that 7.1 would recognize this particular drive. IT DOES. I have also burned a DVD using the drive and used a Verbatim (LightScribe) media disk to burn the label onto it with the LightScribe ability. Everything worked great EXCEPT--For a pretty simple label design, it took a little over 22 minutes to burn the label. NOT GOOD !!!

And by the way, my design was in color and the LightScribe media only burns a very dull looking off gold color rather than the original design colors. To me it's a waste of time and until they come out with media and a drive that can burn a label in full color and in a lot less time, I will stick with my stick on labels and EMC's label (or Neato's) labeling programs !!

Other than that, the drive works well and I have no problems with it and EMC 7.1.1.189.

By the way, the new HP notebook is a full blown ZD8000, and I love it.

Frank............

And did you read the fine print that says the Lightscribe label will fade if exposed to too much light? It sounded a lot like copies that used to be made on thermal paper. (And if you remember thermal paper, you're probably approaching retirement. )

I use sharpies now myself and hope that I'll be able to read my own writing. :)

Good googly moogly! I certainly remember thermal paper. One of our best HP calculators printed out on thermal paper. LOLLOL

And, it wasn't all that many years ago. Hmmmm, well, maybe it was. :huh:

I down loaded the "Contrast" update from Lightscribe and tried another one Steve. The contrast is somewhat better but it is really a lot darker than the one I made without the update. I still don't like either one :)

Frank.........

Hey Bruce, I still have my HP calculator and the printer that prints to that small roll of thermal paper. And believe it or not, it still works. I still have all the extra modules for the calculator depending on what you wanted to do. Those modules were great. They had all that pre-programmed stuff on them. I used that little baby when I went in to take the Professional exam for my Civil engineering license. Don't know what I would have done without it :)

Frank.....

Hey Bruce, I still have my HP calculator and the printer that prints to that small roll of thermal paper. And believe it or not, it still works. I still have all the extra modules for the calculator depending on what you wanted to do. Those modules were great. They had all that pre-programmed stuff on them. I used that little baby when I went in to take the Professional exam for my Civil engineering license. Don't know what I would have done without it :)

Frank.....

I used mine at my PE exam, too. lol I liked it, because it was large enough that my fat fingers always hit the right key, but in a quiet place like that exam, the keys sounded like thunder when depressing them. They made an audible click.

I have it somewhere in the house, but the magnetic strips that you ran through them, all got scratched up and no longer worked the last time I tried it, which was about 14 years ago.

Good Googly Moogly...sounds like a little Zappa to me...my hero...lol

It's actually 'great, googly, moogly' and you up northeners know you need to watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.

Jeez, us guys are old and this is most liklely over most peoples heads.

You're right Paul. Those little babies were really expensive when they first came out. I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine at that time but it was around $350. That almost broke my bank !! At that time I was still using a slide rule to do some of my work. Holy Googly Moogly, now that was a long time ago !!!

:) Frank.....

LOL I used the slide rule that my Dad used when he attended Michigan Tech, my alma mater, too. HP had just come out with the HP35 and it sold for $395. The next year they came out with the HP45, and the price of the HP35 dropped to $295. I got a student loan and snapped up one of those puppies(HP35). That was in 1973. LOL! I still have it in a storage box, somewhere.

I was allowing him some poetic license...lol.I don't live "up north" anymore and not many people have Huskies down here in the desert southwest,well "high" desert anyways.And don't rub it Nanook,or whip on any baby seals.... :).That said I think I'll ride off on my pygmy pony.

I was allowing him some poetic license...lol.I don't live "up north" anymore and not many people have Huskies down here in the desert southwest,well "high" desert anyways.And don't rub it Nanook,or whip on any baby seals.... :).That said I think I'll ride off on my pygmy pony.

Thanks for the break on the poetic license. LOLLOL It is close to -30°F right now. The desert would look pretty good to me.

Thermal paper,ml?How bout punch cards for computers?The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?But I digress...sorry...lol

I remember thermal paper and I remember the Beatles on the Jack Paar show, a month before they wre on Ed Sullivan.

Grandpabruce: Come down to Colorado. It is only -11 this morning in the high desert.

I remember thermal paper and I remember the Beatles on the Jack Paar show, a month before they wre on Ed Sullivan.

Grandpabruce: Come down to Colorado. It is only -11 this morning in the high desert.

I think 21 in Seattle is quite cold enough.

I remember thermal paper, but not kindly. Took forever.

Lynn

:)

My order of HP Lightscribe DVD-R 8x came in. Made a Lightscribe(LS) lable using a photo and text took 28min. The whole image looks faded, just about make out faces, text is good.

I recording at 8x speed, playback on computer using win media player did not work (unknown DVD)

Tried on sumsung dvd player did not work, but recording at 4x works on both units.

I did the firmware update, still it did not work.

Help!

My order of HP Lightscribe DVD-R 8x came in. Made a Lightscribe(LS) lable using a photo and text took 28min. The whole image looks faded, just about make out faces, text is good.

I recording at 8x speed, playback on computer using win media player did not work (unknown DVD)

Tried on sumsung dvd player did not work, but recording at 4x works on both units.

Help!

Well, with the media you're using, 4X seems to work with the players you have. So, that is one solution. The other solution I can think of is to try some other media. The difficulty may be to find Lightscribe media that works at 8X. In any case, try some other media (Lightscribe or not) and see if any of it works at 8X.

I agree with you Lynn, mid twenties is too cold for me, let alone -11. I am looking forward to spring/summer. I don't remember thermal paper, not because I am younger :) then you guys, just got into techy stuff much later. :huh:

You didn't work for a boss who used equipment that used it, you mean.

Lynn

My order of HP Lightscribe DVD-R 8x came in. Made a Lightscribe(LS) label using a photo and text took 28min. The whole image looks faded, just about make out faces, text is good.

Help!

Go to the lightscribe web site. They have a download that is supposed to make for a higher contrast on a DVD. The penalty is that it is supposed to take longer. I have not yet tried it. they also have a lot of good templates (not to mention a lightscribe enabled labeling application)

First, I assume you have an optical drive that is a LightScribe, and you have purchased media that is LightScribe capable. Then to burn a disk with text title and track names I suggest will take a minimum of 20 minutes. And depending on the other paramiters of your system, maybe longer. And remember, the designs look great, especially if you have some of your own or the free downloadable colored ones from LightScribe, but they only burn in a dull brownish gold color (not B&W or Grayscale) and are very hard to read unless you get them in just the right light. I have burned several and have given up on them till they have a burner and program that can actually burn in actual color that looks like your design.

Personal opinion of course !!

Frank.......

..."LightScribe"...running EMC 7.1.1.189...I have also burned a DVD using the drive and used a Verbatim (LightScribe) media disk to burn the label onto it with the LightScribe ability. Everything worked great EXCEPT--For a pretty simple label design, it took a little over 22 minutes to burn the label. NOT GOOD !!!...

I installed a lightscribe DVD burner in my desktop. It came with Nero software to burn the labels. It too takes anywhere from 9 minutes to 30 minutes per disk depending on the complexity of the image (photos take longest).

My question: Did you use HP software to burn the label, or could you do it via EMC?

Thanks,

Bill

Well, I had a hard time switching from "T.I." to "HP" as that reverse Polish logic really gave me fits till I finally learned how to use it. After that I always told others that still used the TI that at least my calulator didn't have a "Parallel" bar key. That usually got them to thinking. From the time we were starting in school to learn math, it was always "2 plus 2 EQUALS 4". It takes a while to find that "Equal" key on an HP. LOL.

Now about that "ABACUS"------- :huh::):D

Frank.....

I agree Paul.LightScribe is a cool idea but if it takes that long I'm not sure it's worth it.I've never had much luck with stick on labels.No matter who's they are they usually start to peel off causing nothing but troubles.Sharpies rule!!!

Nice new toy Frank.I have an older HP laptop and have been very pleased with it.Haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it's going on 4 years old.

One of the "tricks" when using labels is to be sure to peel the backer away from the label, not the label away from the backer. That way the label stays flat and doesn't have any penchent for peeling up from the disc. That's a trick that goes way back to when the first arguments about labels came up, and blank CD-R discs cost $8-$10 each (for a 74 minute disc).

Archived