Burning Toast disk images to Dual Layer disks

Kernos

Question

I am creating disk images with Toast Titanium 8 which are about 6 hours long. I then burn the My DVD.toast image to a DVD+R DL DVD with Fit-to-DVD video compression on.

When I click on Copy Options the amount of compression is the same for both DVD DL and DVD when they are selected in the little pop-up. And, the quality appears similar if I create both a DVD and a DVD DL.

AM I actually burning to both layers of he DL DVD when using Toast this way?

TIA,

Bill

2 answers to this question

I am creating disk images with Toast Titanium 8 which are about 6 hours long. I then burn the My DVD.toast image to a DVD+R DL DVD with Fit-to-DVD video compression on.

When I click on Copy Options the amount of compression is the same for both DVD DL and DVD when they are selected in the little pop-up. And, the quality appears similar if I create both a DVD and a DVD DL.

AM I actually burning to both layers of he DL DVD when using Toast this way?

TIA,

Bill

I think it depends whether you are setting Toast to see a dual layer disc first or not. Just above and to the right of the record button is where you select the type of disc you will burn on. If you set this to DVD DL it should compress to fit this kind of disc.

Watch out for compression settings, though. Toast doesn't really know how much material you have. Toast has burned two DVDs for me today. One was with 5.8GB of material; the other with 5.6GB of material. I saved both as a disc image before then burning the disc image. Both times, the entire set of material fitted on a standard DVD (single layer). If you do not first save as a disc image, Toast actually mis-calculates how much space will be required. There are probably plenty of people out there burning double layer discs but only actually using a single layer, either because their settings are wrong (still set to DVD rather than DVD DL) or because Toast has incorrectly calculated that it will require a dual layer disc or a combination of the two.

I don't believe Toast does Fit-to-DVD to fit a dual-layer disc. It can either burn a DL disc with no additional compression or it "requantizes" to fit a single-layer disc. I think you're not using both layers of the DL disc.

What size in GB is the .toast disc image file? Are there multiple titles?

Archived