• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 7 Locking Up-always At The Same Place!

suzie1625

Question

Okay, so my apartment was robbed and I lost all my dvds about 2 years ago. To avoid the same loss, I bought Toast Titanium 7 to back up all my Dvds.

It was working great for a while. Now, every time I try to make a video_ts dvd, it locks up right at the end of compression. i have re-installed and made sure i have the updates. i use mactheripper and at first was using memorex dvd-r, then sony dvd r+. my problems started around this time with getting error code -36 and an i/o error. so i switched back to memorex, now it's locking up but i'm not getting the -36 i/o error.

this is incredibly frustrating and i'm starting to wonder if it's my compuer-i have a powerbook g4 with superdrive. I have over 40 gb on my hard drive available. Any tips? I have run verify disk permissions and disk utitility and they never find any problems. When it freezes, the whole computer is stuck and sometimes i cannot even move the mouse or do force quit. once in a while it will allow a force quit. please advise.

4 answers to this question

What I'm referring to is to have Toast make a disc image from your ripped VIDEO_TS folder. Choose the VIDEO_TS folder using the DVD video from VIDEO_TS option in the Toast Video window. Now instead of clicking the burn button choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that is finished the next step is to choose the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window, select the disc image and burn your DVD.

So it is locking up when it is ready to start burning the DVD. I know from reading the Apple Discussions forums that superdrives are prone to failure but I don't know if that is the problem here. People also report problems with both Memorex and Sony media.

What I suggest is choosing Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button. Toast will do the compression and write a disc image file. When it is done choose the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window to burn your DVD. Hopefully this will solve the issue (which could be the drive failing to wake up when the burn is ready to begin).

Another suggestion is to insert a blank disc and choose Disc Info from the Recorder menu. You'll see where you can get a description of the blank media. There is a link there to a page at videohelp.com where user reports on the media are posted. Check to see how reliable that media is. You also can check the Drive Compatibility Database at xlr8yourmac.com to learn if there is a way to update the firmware on your superdrive. Updated firmware typically allows burning to more brands of media.

I'm not exactly sure what I did. But after trying your original suggestion, I decided to go back and try the old dvd from video_ts option-it worked.

i don't know why it was failing so many times before and locking up. i didn't really change anything, but now i'm okay. thanks for all of your help. it was nice to have someone there to help so quickly!

Archived