Emc8 Audio Components Crash

njarif

Question

I have purchased EMC8 in early December and was excited to have this updated version, then I tried to use it and it crashes when attempt opening the Audio Components such as Convert LPs, Capture Audio from Sound Card etc. I traced it to the fact that I have an external sound system which; Yamaha RP-U100. I opened several tickets and they get closed by Techs without any action. I am using the latest EMC version 8_05 and the latest driver for the Yamaha. I have never had any problem with Yamaha with several audio programs- It seems it ought to be Roxio. Has any one experience this problem? Because of the lack of Roxio support, I am thinking of dumping this application and look for another one. Any feedback is appreciated.

Neil

18 answers to this question

Do it the way it works.

The real bug is in the application and it needs to be fixed. It is not a practical solution to remove the USB cable before starting the application so that I get around the software bug. I have been doing this since Dec. I hope Roxio steps up and fix the problem.

It's driver is signed by Microsoft and I have never had any problem with it or with other applications on my PC. As a matter of fact, if I remove the USB cable to the Yamaha, Roxio's Audio componet comes up fine and If I reconnect the USB cable after that, it works fine. All these hints indicate a bug in Roxio- The question is will they fix it?

Whats the Driver Version # of this signed Driver? In add or remove programs do you have any Microsoft. Net Framework x.x? How old is this device?

cdanteek

The real bug is in the application and it needs to be fixed. It is not a practical solution to remove the USB cable before starting the application so that I get around the software bug. I have been doing this since Dec. I hope Roxio steps up and fix the problem.

Have you reported it to them yet? Posting here on this USER forum will not get the information to them, as this is not a way to contact them. I also seriously doubt if they are working on correcting whatever it is that's causing you to have this particular issue, as it's the first post of it's kind that I have seen, and nothing similar to it came up during the Beta testing that I can recall. They can't consider fixing something they are not aware of. Your best bet is to report your issue to them. Here is a link to the contact area where you should be able to do that.

http://www.roxio.com/en/company/contactroxio.jhtml

This device is old by todays technology standards and somewhat obscure. It uses USB 1.1. It is compatible with Mac. It does not work well on XP I have read.

Operating System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98/98SE, Windows ME or Windows 2000 Professional & USB port OR Macintosh OS 9.1 or higher & USB port.

cdanteek

It's driver is signed by Microsoft and I have never had any problem with it or with other applications on my PC. As a matter of fact, if I remove the USB cable to the Yamaha, Roxio's Audio componet comes up fine and If I reconnect the USB cable after that, it works fine. All these hints indicate a bug in Roxio- The question is will they fix it?

There isn't a problem with it. You just said it works. :)

Just the classic Microsoft Error Reporting Window, no error codes.

This device is old by todays technology standards and somewhat obscure. It uses USB 1.1. It is compatible with Mac. It does not work well on XP I have read.

Operating System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98/98SE, Windows ME or Windows 2000 Professional & USB port OR Macintosh OS 9.1 or higher & USB port.

cdanteek

I agree that it sounds like a conflict between Roxio's audio capture and your USB device. I have EMC 8, but I typically use CDWAVE for all my capturing. I'll have to give it a go with EMC 8's applications to see if there is any conflict with my ADSTech USB 2 audio device.

In the meantime, can you capture using something else? Does Sound Editor open and run okay?

Let us know.

Thanks for the info. Roxio Audio Applications works fine with the internal soundcard. Let me know how it behaves on the USB2 device- Thanks in advance

Have you reported it to them yet? Posting here on this USER forum will not get the information to them, as this is not a way to contact them. I also seriously doubt if they are working on correcting whatever it is that's causing you to have this particular issue, as it's the first post of it's kind that I have seen, and nothing similar to it came up during the Beta testing that I can recall. They can't consider fixing something they are not aware of. Your best bet is to report your issue to them. Here is a link to the contact area where you should be able to do that.

I have opened tickets three time since Dec and they (Roxio Techs) close them with general statement - "check driver and check that you have the latest software updates". The problem is readily reproduceable.

Whats the Driver Version # of this signed Driver? In add or remove programs do you have any Microsoft. Net Framework x.x? How old is this device?

cdanteek

The Driver is version 5.1.2535.0 Digital Signer: Microsoft Winows Publisher.

I picked up the device two years ago and it is an excellent soundboard- I love it.

Re Add/Remove Programs, I do have couple of entries "Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 and Micosoft.NET.Framework Hotfix (KB886903)"

Thanks for the info. Roxio Audio Applications works fine with the internal soundcard. Let me know how it behaves on the USB2 device- Thanks in advance

No problems with either LP and Tape Assistant or Easy Audio Capture recording from my ADS Tech Instant Music USB 2.0 device. Neither complained or crashed, and both recorded just fine. So, it may indeed be a driver conflict.

Here is the typical run a-round that I have been getting from Tech Support. They closed the ticket #

"114056 Last Updated: 3/7/2006 11:48:59 AM "

"Dear Kind Sir,

You have reached technical support, not engineering. We have understood this problem to be an incompatability with your unique USB external audio device and the software. If you would like to express your disdain towards this unfortunate conflict, you may do so freely by reporting this issue on our Forum. The forums are reviewed regularly by our engineering and QA staff, who would be able to more appropriately make use of this information ".

I am shocked; I thought one opens a ticket to report a problem which is repeatable to get the response above. I will never waste my money on a Sonic product again- Shame on this kind of Tech support

I agree that it sounds like a conflict between Roxio's audio capture and your USB device. I have EMC 8, but I typically use CDWAVE for all my capturing. I'll have to give it a go with EMC 8's applications to see if there is any conflict with my ADSTech USB 2 audio device.

In the meantime, can you capture using something else? Does Sound Editor open and run okay?

Let us know.

The Audio Applications crash upon opening if the Soundboard USB cable is connected. Roxio works only if the USB cable is removed and then I open the Audio component then reconnect the USB cable to the PC. The issue seems to me that upon opening the audio component, roxio checks and does not like something about the fact that I have a Yamaha soundboard and crashes!

Here is the typical run a-round that I have been getting from Tech Support. They closed the ticket #

"Dear Kind Sir,

You have reached technical support, not engineering. We have understood this problem to be an incompatability with your unique USB external audio device and the software. If you would like to express your disdain towards this unfortunate conflict, you may do so freely by reporting this issue on our Forum. The forums are reviewed regularly by our engineering and QA staff, who would be able to more appropriately make use of this information ".

I am shocked; I thought one opens a ticket to report a problem which is repeatable to get the response above. I will never waste my money on a Sonic product again- Shame on this kind of Tech support

I don't blame you a bit. :)

The Audio Applications crash upon opening if the Soundboard USB cable is connected. Roxio works only if the USB cable is removed and then I open the Audio component then reconnect the USB cable to the PC. The issue seems to me that upon opening the audio component, roxio checks and does not like something about the fact that I have a Yamaha soundboard and crashes!

Do it the way it works.

"Dear Kind Sir,

Hmmmm. Not the kind of response I would have expected either. Don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Archived