Problems with DVD Builder, Drag to Disk, other

mytruck127

Question

I have several problems with EMC 7.5. The first thing I noticed is that when I am in VideoWave and try to burn, DVD Builder says it encountered a problem and needs to close, then I just get a blank screen.

Drag to Disk won't work. When I put a disk in the drive, either 1) Nothing happens, 2) It freezes, or 3) I am prompted to insert a disk.

Having read many posts, it seems I may have to go back to IE6.

I am currently using IE7 on Windows XP Pro SP 2 (Media Center Home Edition 2005), on an HP computer.

Microsoft says, "After you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, double-click the Internet Explorer icon to verify that Internet Explorer 6 is restored."

Sorry to sound so stupid, but I am afraid that if I uninstall IE7 and IE6 is NOT restored, I won't be able to get on the internet. If that happens, then I won't be able to access the fine help at Roxio forums! I have searched my computer and I do not have IE6, so I am afraid it won't be restored. Does anyone know if I have to have it on my computer, or does it automatically download when IE7 is uninstalled?

Does EMC 9 work with IE7?

I would really like to get this fixed, as I have 2 DVD ready to burn and can't at this time.

Thanking in advance, anyone who can help.

10 answers to this question

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. :wub:

Nothing worked. I ran PC Doctor and got some error codes (DV523-1, DV523-2, DV523-3, and SW259-1W). I then contacted HP and was told my drive was bad. :(

Well, the new one should work, if they are giving you a new one. Hopefully, it isn't the same brand and model as the one you have now.

Sorry for the delay in getting back on, but we had a huge lightning storm and I unplugged everything.

I followed the instructions faithfully, but the problem is worse than before. When I ran "regedit", in additions to "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters", also listed was "UpperFilters.Bak" and "LowerFilters.Bak". I did NOT delete these, perhaps I should have?

After rebooting, "New Hardware Found" popped up, showing the DVD drive. The drive also shows in Device Manager. No problems are indicated. It says, "This device is working properly."

I also opened "regedit" again (after rebooting), and "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" are gone, but "UpperFilters.Bak" and "LowerFilters.Bak" are still there.

Here's what I get now: When I open Drag to Disc, instead of "E: (Blank)", I now get, "No Recorder" in the disk label area. If I click on "Menu", "Disc Properties", or "View Disc Contents", the popup says, "There is no disc in the recorder", even though there is and new unformatted disk in the drive.

In DVD Builder, when I click "Burn", the "Drive:" box is empty and under that it says, "No drive present".

When I open "DVD Info Pro", on the "Info" tab it gives me all kinds of media information and "Status" reads, "Ready". The "Drive" tab has information about the drive.

My apologies to Larry and ml. When I thanked grandpabruce, I was in a hurry and neglected to thank you two, also, for your previous help. It was an oversight, and I am very sorry.

I have to be out of town for a day or two, so I won't be able to work on this problem until I return, but please keep those suggestions coming!! And once again, "Thank You, Everyone."

.... I am afraid that if I uninstall IE7 and IE6 is NOT restored, I won't be able to get on the internet..

You could always install another free browser like Mozilla's Firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/

That way, in case IE 6 doesn't reinstall, you'll have another way to get on the net.

followed the instructions faithfully, but the problem is worse than before. When I ran "regedit", in additions to "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters", also listed was "UpperFilters.Bak" and "LowerFilters.Bak". I did NOT delete these, perhaps I should have?

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

cd

I rolled back IE7 to IE6 and Media Player from 11 to 10. (I did install Firefox, just in case, but IE rolled back just fine). I just wish this had fixed ALL my problems.

Then I did an uninstall of EMC7.5 and a clean install. It fixed several of my problems, but I can not burn.

When I try to burn from DVD Builder, I get a, "No disk present". When I open Drag to Disk, I get, "There is no disk in the recorder". I have a brand new, unformatted disk in the drive. I tried several different disks and three different brands.

Although I can not burn a movie DVD using any of my three programs, I did backup my Quicken files, so I know the drive isn't bad.

Thanks for you help in getting IE7 rolled back.

I rolled back IE7 to IE6 and Media Player from 11 to 10. (I did install Firefox, just in case, but IE rolled back just fine). I just wish this had fixed ALL my problems.

Then I did an uninstall of EMC7.5 and a clean install. It fixed several of my problems, but I can not burn.

When I try to burn from DVD Builder, I get a, "No disk present". When I open Drag to Disk, I get, "There is no disk in the recorder". I have a brand new, unformatted disk in the drive. I tried several different disks and three different brands.

Although I can not burn a movie DVD using any of my three programs, I did backup my Quicken files, so I know the drive isn't bad.

Thanks for you help in getting IE7 rolled back.

Go into Device Manager, right click on your burner, and select Uninstall, and click ok. Reboot your computer, and see if that solves the problem.

Thank you grandpabruce, but that didn't do the trick.

However, I do appreciate you answering me and giving me advice.

Ok, make sure that you have the latest firmware, for your burner, installed. If you do already, try the following:

If the drives are still listed in the Device Manager, delete them then carefully follow this fix:

"Upper/Lower Filters:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key

b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)

c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

e. Expand the "Control" Key

f. Expand the "Class" Key

g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

h. Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

j. Exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer"

Archived