Burn DVD-RW to be read in any PC

ubose

Question

I burnt data files to a DVD-RW using EMC 7, but it cannot be read by another computer that has a DVD-ROM drive. Both PCs have XP (Home in one and Pro in the other) and IE6. The other computer has EMC 5. The other computer does not seem to detect the DVD-RW at all. I burnt the DVD using Drag and Drop.

How do I make a DVD-RW that can be read by any computer but at the same time be able to modify files on the DVD-RW back in my computer that has EMC 7? Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Do both machines have DVD burners, as opposed to one having a DVD burner and the other having a combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)?

I have a Combo drive in one computer, and a DVD-ROM (DVD-ROM/CD-ROM) in aother, and neither knows a DVD/R from a frisby. THe DVD-ROM also can't detect CD-Rs. (I have a replacement for the DVD-ROM, but am using the elderly ROM for Region 2 DVDs.)

Lynn

Do both machines have DVD burners, as opposed to one having a DVD burner and the other having a combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)?

I have a Combo drive in one computer, and a DVD-ROM (DVD-ROM/CD-ROM) in aother, and neither knows a DVD/R from a frisby. THe DVD-ROM also can't detect CD-Rs. (I have a replacement for the DVD-ROM, but am using the elderly ROM for Region 2 DVDs.)

Lynn

Could you list the ID string of this special equipment explained above? :)

cd B)

MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8584A

:P

Lynn

So your "MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8584A" is either broke, or needs a firmware, aspi, update or operating system, DMA, adjustment. :unsure: The drive was built as a DVD/CD Rom and I'm sure worked in 1999! :o It could be ready for that big drive recycling bin in the sky you talk about. :lol:

cd B)

CDRWs formatted in either computer is readble and writable in the other computer, but in the CDRW drive in the DirectCD computer. The DirectCD computer has two optical drives - one a DVDROM and the other a CDRW drive. I cannot remember if CDRW disks can be read in the DVDROM drive; I have to check that. I can't do that for the next many days since I am on vacation and the DirectCD computer is at work. It is the first time I ever attempted reading a DVD-RW disk on the DirectCD computer and had the problem as I said in my original posting. Commercial DVDs work fine on that DVDROM drive.

I am not using the DVD-RW disk as a backup. My purpose of using the DVD-RW disk is to load data on it using the EMC7 computer and use the disk at other computers (most often on this particular DirectCD computer) to read data from it. I will need to add/remove/change the data files on the DVD-RW disk from time to time on the EMC7 computer, and that is why the files on it must remain accessible. If I cannot use the DVD-RW disk as a "big floppy disk", I guess I'll switch to using a flash drive for this purpose. There seems to be too much of "fine print" in making optical disks work in a user-friendly way. :glare:

The Work computer with the DVD-ROM drive may be an age issue as far as reading DVD RW discs. There is not an exact date cutoff, but DVD-ROM drives made around 2002 or earlier may not be able to read DVD RW discs! They can read DVD R discs but the RWs require more than they were designed to do.

Of course you will never be able to write to a DVD with any ROM drive, they are not capable of burning.

D2D is a packet writer and all packet writers are considered the least reliable form of burning ever devised…

You do not ever want to use it for "backups" or trust one with the only copy of anything you value!

With that in mind, it should be working seamlessly for you, but it is not…

If you format and write some data using the V5 PC (DirectCD), is the disc usable on your V7 PC?

To keep the disc open for writing, both DCD and D2D settings must be set to Leave the Disc As Is. – If you choose the Use Disc in other computers or Make Compatible, you will not be able to write to the disc again.

CDRWs formatted in either computer is readble and writable in the other computer, but in the CDRW drive in the DirectCD computer. The DirectCD computer has two optical drives - one a DVDROM and the other a CDRW drive. I cannot remember if CDRW disks can be read in the DVDROM drive; I have to check that. I can't do that for the next many days since I am on vacation and the DirectCD computer is at work. It is the first time I ever attempted reading a DVD-RW disk on the DirectCD computer and had the problem as I said in my original posting. Commercial DVDs work fine on that DVDROM drive.

I am not using the DVD-RW disk as a backup. My purpose of using the DVD-RW disk is to load data on it using the EMC7 computer and use the disk at other computers (most often on this particular DirectCD computer) to read data from it. I will need to add/remove/change the data files on the DVD-RW disk from time to time on the EMC7 computer, and that is why the files on it must remain accessible. If I cannot use the DVD-RW disk as a "big floppy disk", I guess I'll switch to using a flash drive for this purpose. There seems to be too much of "fine print" in making optical disks work in a user-friendly way. :glare:

You can accomplish what you want by using the CREATOR CLASSIC program in EMC 7.

It's simple to use and the CDs and DVDs will be able to be read in other computers.

Of course, if the other computer has a DVD-R drive (there are a few of these still around) and you burn a DVD+R, that would be a media incompatability problem.

I burnt data files to a DVD-RW using EMC 7, but it cannot be read by another computer that has a DVD-ROM drive. Both PCs have XP (Home in one and Pro in the other) and IE6. The other computer has EMC 5. The other computer does not seem to detect the DVD-RW at all. I burnt the DVD using Drag and Drop.

How do I make a DVD-RW that can be read by any computer but at the same time be able to modify files on the DVD-RW back in my computer that has EMC 7? Thanks.

Use Creator Classic, not Drag to Disc.

Also read this (from the top of the EMC 7 forum) http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12382

From the way you described what you're trying to use it for, I think your best solution would be to go the flash drive route. Not only will it be more reliable than a formatted cd, it'll be faster and compatible with pretty much any computer that has a USB slot without needing any "special" software to make it work.

D2D is a packet writer and all packet writers are considered the least reliable form of burning ever devised…

You do not ever want to use it for "backups" or trust one with the only copy of anything you value!

With that in mind, it should be working seamlessly for you, but it is not…

If you format and write some data using the V5 PC (DirectCD), is the disc usable on your V7 PC?

To keep the disc open for writing, both DCD and D2D settings must be set to Leave the Disc As Is. – If you choose the Use Disc in other computers or Make Compatible, you will not be able to write to the disc again.

Archived