Burning Issues and File Viewing problems

Cedar

Question

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP Media Center Edition. eMachines computer.

I have tried everything (different discs, different burners, etc.) but with drag to disc, I can only burn a few files, then it freezes up, I mean totally freezes up everything!!! Reboot only option!

I don't know if the same thing happens if I use Creator Classic, because it's very difficult to use since there are no files listed in the Select Source window (right pane).

I don't use this program a whole lot, but it seems the more things I check into, the more problems become apparent!

I have uninstalled and re-installed, did a repair install, but have not yet loaded the update.

I recently had Kodak EasyShare on my computer, any chance that could have messed up EMC?

P.S.: IE 6 and WMP 10.

18 answers to this question

I have now installed the update....no change whatsoever!

Also, another problem is that when I click on certain things (quite a few have this problem), such as Creator Classic > Tools > Options, the program just closes!!!! Bloody Rude!!! The main Creator Classic window remains but the component closes...BOOM!

I don't suppose there is a list of compatibility issues anywhere....??

Anybody know of any other good software to replace this c*#p with?

EMC 7.5 is a pretty stable program, but it may not work the best on your e-machine, which is probably a celeron.

Try updating the video drivers first. That, sometimes, clears up a lot of problems.

Did the problem start after you installed Kodak EasyShare or has it always existed?

Drag to Disk is NOT a good way to save files because it it packet writing software.

If you use Creator Classic, you have to click on the folders on the left hand side of the screen to find where your files are and then your files will show up on the right hand side of the screen. ( Or choose the folder from the drop down menu under Source.)

Open Creator Classic and under the Help tab, click on either Tutorials or the Help Center to get more information.

If your problem is a different one, please let us know. I think that Creator Classic should work on that eMachine for Creator Classic.

Of course you have another option, you can use the built in CD writing capability of WindowsXP. You can find out how to do that under Windows\Start\ Help and type write to a cd. WindowsXP will not write a DVD however.

EMC 7.5 is a pretty stable program, but it may not work the best on your e-machine, which is probably a celeron.

Try updating the video drivers first. That, sometimes, clears up a lot of problems.

No, actually it's an AMD. It's only 3 months old, I would think nothing should need updating yet...? But could video drivers actually have something to do with a problem like this? I dunno much about this stuff, but it just doesn't seem feasible to me. Also, other programs are all working fine.

Did the problem start after you installed Kodak EasyShare or has it always existed?

Drag to Disk is NOT a good way to save files because it it packet writing software.

If you use Creator Classic, you have to click on the folders on the left hand side of the screen to find where your files are and then your files will show up on the right hand side of the screen. ( Or choose the folder from the drop down menu under Source.)

Open Creator Classic and under the Help tab, click on either Tutorials or the Help Center to get more information.

If your problem is a different one, please let us know. I think that Creator Classic should work on that eMachine for Creator Classic.

Of course you have another option, you can use the built in CD writing capability of WindowsXP. You can find out how to do that under Windows\Start\ Help and type write to a cd. WindowsXP will not write a DVD however.

I'm pretty sure the problem started after installing EasyShare, but can't be sure as I can't remember for sure if I had even used Roxio before installing EasyShare on this new machine. I think I did though. Also it worked just fine on the old computer...never had any weird problems like this (no EasyShare there). Anybody else have Roxio and EasyShare "playing nicely" or not playing nice?

What's wrong with packet writing software? So....if I use Creator Classic, the program uses a different writing method....???

Ya, I clicked on the folders on the left.....many times....even double clicked them (#$^@....that just closed the folder up!) ....and clicking harder doesn't help!!!! ;-)

Hmmm...use xp's cd writer.....Oh JOY! I'll keep that option on the bottom of my list! Also use dvd's, sooo...

I run Kodak's Easy Share software and have had no conflicts with any Roxio or Sonic programs, including EMC 7.x

Thanks for the info, Larry. Every little bit helps.

Anybody have a clue if these types of problems could have anything to do with this Media Center edition of XP?

<snip>

What's wrong with packet writing software? So....if I use Creator Classic, the program uses a different writing method....???

<snip>

Hmmm...use xp's cd writer.....Oh JOY! I'll keep that option on the bottom of my list! Also use dvd's, sooo...

This explains part of the misunderstanding -

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12382

WinXP's built-in Sessions-based writing works "as if" it is Packet-Writing, but it is actually sessions. As my software guru observed, Microsoft didn't want to deal with the inevitible problems of Packet-Writing.

Lynn

I have this same problem. I got a new computer -- HP Pavilion Media Center with AMD 64 Live. EMC 7 would not work so I bought EMC9. This will not work either. Same problems as described in the above. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no results. I have now taken off EMC9 altogether and am trying to get EMC7 to work with no success. Help!

Oh Grrreeaat!!!! Now I've discovered that the burn button in Creator Classic does absolutely nothing! This is totally hopeless...I can't do anything at all!

You're going to have to explain that a little more.

Does the burn button not become active and not recognize your drive?

Or does the burn not write anything to the Disk?

Have you visited the eMachines website to see if they have any updates for your computer?

I have this same problem. I got a new computer -- HP Pavilion Media Center with AMD 64 Live. EMC 7 would not work so I bought EMC9. This will not work either. Same problems as described in the above. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no results. I have now taken off EMC9 altogether and am trying to get EMC7 to work with no success. Help!

Does your new computer have Windows Vista on it, if so EMC 7 will not work.

No, actually it's an AMD. It's only 3 months old, I would think nothing should need updating yet...? But could video drivers actually have something to do with a problem like this? I dunno much about this stuff, but it just doesn't seem feasible to me. Also, other programs are all working fine.

It's an e-machine, which was designed basically for browsing the internet. You should be able to burn a CD or DVD with no problem, but the components in e-machines are not normally top notched components.

You're going to have to explain that a little more.

Does the burn button not become active and not recognize your drive?

Or does the burn not write anything to the Disk?

Have you visited the eMachines website to see if they have any updates for your computer?

The burn button appears to "depress" when I click it, then ... nothing happens! Absolutely nothing!

Sooo....this "new" problem, along with the inability to see any files in the directory listing, and components closing down immediately when I click on various menu items....hmmm...I'd say my roxio is "down" completely.

Funny....it had just occurred to me to go to eMachines.

It's an e-machine, which was designed basically for browsing the internet. You should be able to burn a CD or DVD with no problem, but the components in e-machines are not normally top notched components.

Hmmm...that's certainly not what the salesman told me!!!! Must have a "wee chat" with that guy!

No, I have Windows XP, but when I purchased the computer it was "ready" to download Vista when it came out, so I do not know what components are on it that would prevent EMC7 and EMC9 from working. Any ideas?

I'm not sure I agree with Bruce about the eMachines.

They come in a lot of configurations and some of them are built for video editing. I've had two of them and one was built specifically for video work. It didn't have all the 'bells and whistles' of the higher priced computers, but it had the hardware for video editing and was a good little machine.

So don't have a talk with the saleman yet.

Frequently, manufacturers have updates for their computers that are still on store shelves. You should be entitled to support from them if you can't write a CD with the computer.

It's very likely that you're having a software conflict and it might be with the Media Center. I've seen other people have trouble with Media Center PCs. I think eMachine would be a better source of information as to what software might have conflicts with it.

I'm not sure I agree with Bruce about the eMachines.

They come in a lot of configurations and some of them are built for video editing. I've had two of them and one was built specifically for video work. It didn't have all the 'bells and whistles' of the higher priced computers, but it had the hardware for video editing and was a good little machine.

So don't have a talk with the saleman yet.

AAAWWW!!! ;-) ...well, ok, then.

Frequently, manufacturers have updates for their computers that are still on store shelves. You should be entitled to support from them if you can't write a CD with the computer.

Interestingly, I have just discovered that there is another cd/dvd program that was preloaded on it: Cyberlink DVD Solution. I hadn't even realized that that's what that program was! oh, duh. Seems decent in a lot of ways, but not all. And certainly does not do everything the Roxio suite does. Anyway, it has no trouble writing so I'm sure talking to eMachines would just get me more of the ol' "it's the other guys (roxio's) fault" stuff. Hmmm...maybe it's causing the conflict...but, of course no way to test that theory since I cannot uninstall Cyberlink and then try Roxio since there is no disc with which to re-install Cyberlink....AAAHHHH!

It's very likely that you're having a software conflict and it might be with the Media Center. I've seen other people have trouble with Media Center PCs. I think eMachine would be a better source of information as to what software might have conflicts with it.

Sounds reasonable, but I can't see a way to talk to them without having to pay! grrr! no way!

OOOOPS! Sorry, I thought, in the previous post, that all that text I added would be quoted properly....however, it was not...so it looks like it was supposed to be in the quote. (hope that made sense!)

No, I have Windows XP, but when I purchased the computer it was "ready" to download Vista when it came out, so I do not know what components are on it that would prevent EMC7 and EMC9 from working. Any ideas?

What are your Data Execution Prevention settings in XP?

Go to you Control Panel\ System Properties\ Performance\ Settings\ Data Execution Prevention tab and select .... for Windows essential services.

If that doesn't help, please give us your computer's specifications.

I have now installed the update....no change whatsoever!

Also, another problem is that when I click on certain things (quite a few have this problem), such as Creator Classic > Tools > Options, the program just closes!!!! Bloody Rude!!! The main Creator Classic window remains but the component closes...BOOM!

I don't suppose there is a list of compatibility issues anywhere....??

Anybody know of any other good software to replace this c*#p with?

Archived