Cd/dvd Drives Not Found Winxp Pro

irq357@cox.net

I HAVE EASY CD CREATOR 8, BUT IT'S NOT AS EASY TO USE (FOR ME) AS EASY CD CREATOR 5.

SO, I UNINSTALLED 8 AND REINSTALLED 5. I'M RUNNING WINXP PRO. MY CD/DVD DRIVES ARE NOT

FOUND. I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE ON STARTUP. I LIKED "SOUND STREAM" IN EASY CD 5.

I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING AS GOOD IN 8. I'VE TRIED TO DOWNLOAD ALL UPDATES AND PATCHES.

NOT LUCK IN FINDING THE DRIVES STILL. I ASKED ROXANN BUT SHE DIDN'T KNOW BECAUSE WHAT SHE SUGGESTED DIDN'T WORK. AND, WHEN I TRIED TO EMAIL SUPPORT, I WAS TOLD THAT I WAS NOT ALLOWED. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO TO FIX THE LOST DRIVES PROBLEM I'M HAVEING. OTHERS HAVE HAD THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY OFFER A FIX (THAT DOES NOT WORK. :) )

THANKS

I HAVE EASY CD CREATOR 8, BUT IT'S NOT AS EASY TO USE (FOR ME) AS EASY CD CREATOR 5.

SO, I UNINSTALLED 8 AND REINSTALLED 5. I'M RUNNING WINXP PRO. MY CD/DVD DRIVES ARE NOT

FOUND. I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE ON STARTUP. I LIKED "SOUND STREAM" IN EASY CD 5.

I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING AS GOOD IN 8. I'VE TRIED TO DOWNLOAD ALL UPDATES AND PATCHES.

NOT LUCK IN FINDING THE DRIVES STILL. I ASKED ROXANN BUT SHE DIDN'T KNOW BECAUSE WHAT SHE SUGGESTED DIDN'T WORK. AND, WHEN I TRIED TO EMAIL SUPPORT, I WAS TOLD THAT I WAS NOT ALLOWED. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO TO FIX THE LOST DRIVES PROBLEM I'M HAVEING. OTHERS HAVE HAD THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY OFFER A FIX (THAT DOES NOT WORK. :) )

THANKS

Apparently when you looked at the pinned topics at the top of the board (and I assume you did the basic looking around that one should do when one comes into a new board) you didn't read all of this one:

Ecdc 5 Vs Winxp, Win2000, Can be coaxed to run with Win2000, WinXP

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=125

WinXP/Win2000 and Roxio EZCD 5:

1. WinXP and Win2000, an WinNT use a different file system, installing VXD files rather than the SYS files used in earlier versions of Windows. You can't change Operating Systems (it's change, not update) and get it to work without reinstalling it.

2. Roxio EZCD 5 is NOT supported with WinXP and SP2. Up thru WinXP SP1, it can be coaxed to run. Basicly, with add/remove, uninstall any leftovers by using roxizap, install from disc (DO NOT REBOOT), add all updates (DO NOT REBOOT), add Driveup patch (if needed), then reboot. See the FREQUENT ANSWERS post for the Roxizap URLs.

(Some people have gotten ECDC 5 to work with SP2 by following the above instructions subsequent to installing SP2, but there are no guarantees.)

(member srourke did some work on this subject and reports: "Microsoft security update KB 890047, issued 2/8/2005, caused my ECDC 5.3.5.10 to fail when ripping audio CD tracks to files. Running Windows XP w/SP2 Works fine with all updates except KB890047. ")

3. If after unstalling ECDC 5 from WinXP or Win2000 your burners have disappeared, or you are getting a messge the drive is in use by "null", it is a filters problem. To avoid this problem: first use add/remove, THEN use roxizap. This is something we have discovered the hard way, sorry.

This is the

relevant general info from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

for Win2000 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008

For WinXP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

There is a lot of information in the FREQUENT ANSWERS post that would very likely be helpful to you.

Lynn

2. Roxio EZCD 5 is NOT supported with WinXP and SP2. Up thru WinXP SP1, it can be coaxed to run. Basicly, with add/remove, uninstall any leftovers by using roxizap, install from disc (DO NOT REBOOT), add all updates (DO NOT REBOOT), add Driveup patch (if needed), then reboot. See the FREQUENT ANSWERS post for the Roxizap URLs.

There is a lot of information in the FREQUENT ANSWERS post that would very likely be helpful to you.

Lynn

Also, you didn't say if you've ever used ECDC 5 with the CD/DVD writer you have, or if this is a new machine/drive. If it's newer than roughly December 2004, then it's very likely it's not supported by ECDC 5, and you'll need to use a newer version that will recognize your drive. ECDC 5 relied on a table of information for drive support, and if your drive isn't in it, it won't work. Newer versions, starting with ECDC 6, ask the drive for what it's capabilities are, and support the drive based on that information.

So, if you have EMC 8, and need to use it, ask some specific questions about how to do some of the things you want, and there's a good chance someone here will be able to help you out.

Also, you didn't say if you've ever used ECDC 5 with the CD/DVD writer you have, or if this is a new machine/drive. If it's newer than roughly December 2004, then it's very likely it's not supported by ECDC 5, and you'll need to use a newer version that will recognize your drive. ECDC 5 relied on a table of information for drive support, and if your drive isn't in it, it won't work. Newer versions, starting with ECDC 6, ask the drive for what it's capabilities are, and support the drive based on that information.

So, if you have EMC 8, and need to use it, ask some specific questions about how to do some of the things you want, and there's a good chance someone here will be able to help you out.

Er ... on the EMC 8 boards ...

Lynn

". MY CD/DVD DRIVES ARE NOT FOUND. I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE ON STARTUP."

Looks like a filter problem to me. Drives disappear when EMC8 is uninstalled. Happens often.

Actually, it's not clear if they're not showing up at all, or if they're simply not being recognized in ECDC 5.

Original Poster, where are you not seeing your drives? Do they show up in Windows properly but ECDC 5 reports no supported drives? Or aren't they showing up in Windows either?

Archived