Disc Created From Disc Image File Not Readable In Windows

bazpalmer

Question

I created a disc image of a clipart file to my hard drive using global image format. Roxio help file stated "saving a disc to image file allows you to create a copy of disc at later date" or words to that effect. Roxio however did state that *.gi discs cannot sometimes be read on PC's which do not have Roxio installed.At a later date I burnt this image file to disc. When I insert this newly created disc into the drive of either of my PC's (both of which have ECDC8 installed on them) I get the following message "Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted or using format that is not compatible with windows".

If I check disc in Tools, the info is as follows:

CD Rom, closed, Data, Disc at once

Session 1

01- Data track, Mode 2 XA

Am I going wrong somewhere? What is the point of a *.gi image file if it can't be read in windows. I tried using disc image loader, but it does not recognise *.gi files.

I tried Retrieve, but this isn't applicable either. In all other CD creating software which I have used, I just create image to hard drive, and then burn to disc, and thats it! Exact copy of disc.

Can anyone help please, as I am rather confused, and the help files, nor the newly downloaded pdf manual, (which was only supplied in retail version to American customers, and not to us poor British!, did not help either)!! :)

8 answers to this question

A bit more information is needed. How exactly did you burn the .gi image file to the disc?

If you look at the disc you burned it to on the pc you used to burn the disc, what type of file(s) are listed?

Is there anyway to "unzip" or "unpack" a .gi image file to your hard drive so that you would just see all of the original files and folders ??

Or is there a way to turn a .gi image into an ISO image ?!?!

-Randy Simmons

There are quite a few third party apps available that will convert one disc image format to another - Poweriso, Magiciso and so on - if you google for them you should come across a number of choices

Iso itself can be opened with winrar, but gi can't unfortunately

btw - please edit your post (click on 'Edit' at the bottom) and remove the e-mail address before you end up on a spammer's list - these boards are trawled by spider bots that harvest e-mails

I created a disc image of a clipart file to my hard drive using global image format. Roxio help file stated "saving a disc to image file allows you to create a copy of disc at later date" or words to that effect. Roxio however did state that *.gi discs cannot sometimes be read on PC's which do not have Roxio installed.At a later date I burnt this image file to disc. When I insert this newly created disc into the drive of either of my PC's (both of which have ECDC8 installed on them) I get the following message "Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted or using format that is not compatible with windows".

If I check disc in Tools, the info is as follows:

CD Rom, closed, Data, Disc at once

Session 1

01- Data track, Mode 2 XA

Am I going wrong somewhere? What is the point of a *.gi image file if it can't be read in windows. I tried using disc image loader, but it does not recognise *.gi files.

I tried Retrieve, but this isn't applicable either. In all other CD creating software which I have used, I just create image to hard drive, and then burn to disc, and thats it! Exact copy of disc.

Can anyone help please, as I am rather confused, and the help files, nor the newly downloaded pdf manual, (which was only supplied in retail version to American customers, and not to us poor British!, did not help either)!! :)

A bit more information is needed. How exactly did you burn the .gi image file to the disc?

If you look at the disc you burned it to on the pc you used to burn the disc, what type of file(s) are listed?

IsoBuster (free) V 2.2, will convert your gi Image format to a ISO Image. Just right click extract.

Hmmm.... That "seemed" to work... BUT it made a .tao file... I didn't see where I get to CHOOSE that I want an .iso file... ?? :huh:

When I right clicked I chose EXTRACT, and it says it can do a .tao, .iso, or a .wav... but I never got to choose .iso... ?? :huh:

NEVERMIND !!

You have to rt click at the very TOP of the disc (not on the TRACK) and do an "EXTRACT CD image", then you get to choose the type !! ;)

Thank YOU !!!!!!!!! :D

Hmmm.... That "seemed" to work... BUT it made a .tao file... I didn't see where I get to CHOOSE that I want an .iso file... ?? :huh:

When I right clicked I chose EXTRACT, and it says it can do a .tao, .iso, or a .wav... but I never got to choose .iso... ?? :huh:

NEVERMIND !!

You have to rt click at the very TOP of the disc (not on the TRACK) and do an "EXTRACT CD image", then you get to choose the type !! ;)

Thank YOU !!!!!!!!! :D

You are welcome...

cd

Archived