• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Every Disc I Burn Is Now A Bad Disc

jack.delbert

Question

I have no idea what is going on. I made lots of DVDs with DVD Builder in Roxio 7.5, downloading anime using BitComet (60-70 DVDs). All of a sudden, every disc I burn comes up as BAD DISC on my DVD player. I was using HP dvd-r and thought I might just have a bunch of bad discs. Bought more HP dvd+r and had the same problem. If I use drag-to-disc my avi files work fine on another computer but I still can't burn a good DVD. I re-installed Roxio, scanned for viruses using AddAware and still all I'm doing is wrecking discs. Any idea what may be happening?

Thanks,

kozaku

21 answers to this question

I have no idea what is going on. I made lots of DVDs with DVD Builder in Roxio 7.5, downloading anime using BitComet (60-70 DVDs). All of a sudden, every disc I burn comes up as BAD DISC on my DVD player. I was using HP dvd-r and thought I might just have a bunch of bad discs. Bought more HP dvd+r and had the same problem. If I use drag-to-disc my avi files work fine on another computer but I still can't burn a good DVD. I re-installed Roxio, scanned for viruses using AddAware and still all I'm doing is wrecking discs. Any idea what may be happening?

Thanks,

kozaku

Can you burn cd's ok? Have you tried a different brand of disc? Have you updated your firmware?

I think this could be akin to the "Cars/guns don't kill people, people do" debate.

Any method of file transfer, including disc writing, could be used to be naughty. It doesn't make the transfer method naughty.

Now, back to the method which has broken for member jack.delbert . . . .

Hmmm. Very interesting. Both the old DVDs, that work on the player, and the new DVDs that don't, work on my burner. The next step will be to burn another -R now that Roxio is reinstalled and viruses swept and see if my player doesn't like +Rs. It's supposed to but....

Thanks,

kozaku

Now, back to the method which has broken for member jack.delbert . . . ."

Jack get a disc identifier and identify the HP-R disc's. See if they have the same MID Media identity. DVDinfopro or cddvdspeed free download Google. A quality check in these tools might tell you if one is burned bad. I have had many a bad disc that will play on computer but not in stand alone player, to me that means nothing. Can you make a iso file in Roxio with these files. Why, there are free programs you could try another test burn with and see if it plays.

I believe the files have to be compliant ( no hidden virus ) or Roxio wouldn't except them for the burn.

cdanteek

I have not been back, but today you can take the chair lift to the top…

We choose a more American-style method to go up- skyway cars a la Disneyland.

We discover that there are two ways down the mountain- back down the skyway or sliding down the mountain! The sliders sit on a cart that sits on a metal track. The speed of the descent is controlled by a braking system on the side of the cart. Watch out! Here come the sliders!

The fourth and nineth pic's.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mccb/nui.html

cdanteek

I've been using "Roxio" or "Sonic" EZCD, EZCD DVD, etc., since it was an Adaptec product. Have been building systems since 1983; i.e. I'm not a novice. As many have reported, using Roxio 7 or 7.5 worked very well . . . but when I upgraded ro EZ Media 8.05, without any changes of other software or hardware, I burned a dozen DVD +R DL "coasters" using every tactic, utility, and 5 brands of media that worked fine with the earlier versions. I uninstalled EZ Media 8; reinstalled Version 7, and my computer crashed! A recent restore point run in SAFE MODE worked. (Gigabyte K8NSC-939, AMD 64+, ATI 9600 AIW PRO, AUD A2Z . . . nothing cheap). Then foolishly put EZ Media on my ASUS A8N_SLI_Dlx, AMD 64X2, ATI X800XL AIW, AUD A2Z, etc., and burned another dozen DVD +R DL "Coasters"; put EZ Media 7 back and CRASHED! I bought my Ver 8 retail, so no warranty. Will sell it & Xfer ownership for the shipping cost. Advise you don't fool with it.

Gary

Cu Chi Vet 1966 Heuy driver

If it is like Azureus and the others, it may be a site to illegaly download things. I have not seen the site, but I have heard about it in other forums.

Not illegal per se. Just a method to download. I use it to download anime that have been subtitled by fans and not licensed for sale in the U.S. If they are licensed then I can (and do) buy them.

I've been using "Roxio" or "Sonic" EZCD, EZCD DVD, etc., since it was an Adaptec product. Have been building systems since 1983; i.e. I'm not a novice. As many have reported, using Roxio 7 or 7.5 worked very well . . . but when I upgraded ro EZ Media 8.05, without any changes of other software or hardware, I burned a dozen DVD +R DL "coasters" using every tactic, utility, and 5 brands of media that worked fine with the earlier versions. I uninstalled EZ Media 8; reinstalled Version 7, and my computer crashed! A recent restore point run in SAFE MODE worked. (Gigabyte K8NSC-939, AMD 64+, ATI 9600 AIW PRO, AUD A2Z . . . nothing cheap). Then foolishly put EZ Media on my ASUS A8N_SLI_Dlx, AMD 64X2, ATI X800XL AIW, AUD A2Z, etc., and burned another dozen DVD +R DL "Coasters"; put EZ Media 7 back and CRASHED! I bought my Ver 8 retail, so no warranty. Will sell it & Xfer ownership for the shipping cost. Advise you don't fool with it.

Gary

Cu Chi Vet 1966 Heuy driver

Gary: I have only burned a couple of +DL's but they work fine. At least on one of my Players as the other refuses to recognize burned DL discs…

Do all your 4.7gb discs burn OK?

How much are you trying to put on the DL's?

Does this look familiar(Nui Ba Den)?

post-39-1140956933.jpg

Bruce, you're showing your prejudices (grin). Bit Comet is a program, not a site.

Jack,

when you say the new HP-R will work but the old one won't, have you looked at the discs with a utility such as DVDInfoPro? [it should have installed with EMC8]

If you go to the Media button you can get all sorts of interesting stuff on the disc in your drive. Comparing the results from both types of disc might show some significant difference between them.

I haven't tried another brand of disc yet, HP was working fine, it just stopped. Same reason I haven't tried upgrading firmware yet. Things were working and have now stopped. I suppose I could try CDs. The DVD player is a stand alone player that is attached to my TV and again, it was working fine. How would I go about upgrading the firmware if I decide to try that?

Thanks,

kozaku

Bruce, you're showing your prejudices (grin). Bit Comet is a program, not a site.

Jack,

when you say the new HP-R will work but the old one won't, have you looked at the discs with a utility such as DVDInfoPro? [it should have installed with EMC8]

If you go to the Media button you can get all sorts of interesting stuff on the disc in your drive. Comparing the results from both types of disc might show some significant difference between them.

But, is the software used to legally download things?

I haven't tried another brand of disc yet, HP was working fine, it just stopped. Same reason I haven't tried upgrading firmware yet. Things were working and have now stopped. I suppose I could try CDs. The DVD player is a stand alone player that is attached to my TV and again, it was working fine. How would I go about upgrading the firmware if I decide to try that?

Thanks,

kozaku

Do any of these 'bad' DVDs play in your burner or on your other PC?

If they do, that would point to the Player being the problem.

Thanks,

kozaku

You should contact your computer manufacturer or a geeky friend instead of updating the firmware yourself. It's not hard but if you use the wrong firmware, you could kill your drive. You just need to make sure that you have the right firmware. And, this is no guarantee that it will fix your problem. Just one more possibility.

But, is the software used to legally download things?

Bruce, here's the standard disclaimer given by download sites. So to answer your question. If it's not copyrighted OK, if it is and most are read below!

CNET Networks is not responsible for the content of this Publisher's Description. We encourage you to determine whether this product or your intended use is legal. We do not encourage or condone the use of any software in violation of applicable laws

Copyright Infringement

Some files contained on these networks are copyrighted works, like popular games, movies, music, and software. P2P software makes it possible to upload and download copyrighted material from the Internet without proper authorization, but that can violate copyright laws and subject you to criminal and civil penalties. Click here for information on how to minimize copyright infringement using this p2p application. For all others, please consult the user guide provided with the application.

cdanteek

Stranger and stranger. The new HP-R works on the burner but not on the player. The old HP-R works on both. I don't suppose RIAA is writing viruses to make burned DVDs unplayable... I guess my next step is to buy a different brand and see if that helps. Sigh.

Thanks,

kohaku

Brands do make a difference with certain burners more so than others. I've had great luck with Verbatim and Imation but not Memorex. I'm not sure what BitComet is but seems like it's involved with bittorrent and I guess it's possible that the MPAA is putting out bad files for those who 'borrow' their property.

Bruce, here's the standard disclaimer given by download sites. So to answer your question. If it's not copyrighted OK, if it is and most are read below!

CNET Networks is not responsible for the content of this Publisher's Description. We encourage you to determine whether this product or your intended use is legal. We do not encourage or condone the use of any software in violation of applicable laws

Copyright Infringement

Some files contained on these networks are copyrighted works, like popular games, movies, music, and software. P2P software makes it possible to upload and download copyrighted material from the Internet without proper authorization, but that can violate copyright laws and subject you to criminal and civil penalties. Click here for information on how to minimize copyright infringement using this p2p application. For all others, please consult the user guide provided with the application.

cdanteek

Thanks, cdanteek.

Brands do make a difference with certain burners more so than others. I've had great luck with Verbatim and Imation but not Memorex. I'm not sure what BitComet is but seems like it's involved with bittorrent and I guess it's possible that the MPAA is putting out bad files for those who 'borrow' their property.

If it is like Azureus and the others, it may be a site to illegaly download things. I have not seen the site, but I have heard about it in other forums.

Archived