• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Writing To Cd

gopherusa

Question

Hello,

I purchase songs from buymusic.com and they come in a .wma format. In the past I have been able to write them to CD, but I am now having a problem. As in the past, I am using "create new audio cd" but am now getting an error message saying "audio file is not supported".

Any idea what the problem could be?

4 answers to this question

Hello,

I purchase songs from buymusic.com and they come in a .wma format. In the past I have been able to write them to CD, but I am now having a problem. As in the past, I am using "create new audio cd" but am now getting an error message saying "audio file is not supported".

Any idea what the problem could be?

If you purchased it online, it's copy protected. I'm not familiar with buymusic.com but you can usually burn it from the site directly to disc or, since it's in wma format, you might be able to use Windows Media Player to burn it. Then, once it's on a disc, you can rip it to your hard drive and use EMC to burn it and other audio files to disc. Yep, it's an extra few steps but such is the life of online buying and Digital Rights Management :)

Thank you very much for your quick response. I was able to burn the .wma file to CD using Windows Media Player as you recommended.

I still don't understand why I'm not able to write the .wma files to CD using Roxio because I have done it numerous times in the past. I still have .wma files that I have previous burned to CD using Roxio, but I can't burn them now. Something changed in my Roxio application so that this is no longer allowed.

If you purchased it online, it's copy protected. I'm not familiar with buymusic.com but you can usually burn it from the site directly to disc or, since it's in wma format, you might be able to use Windows Media Player to burn it. Then, once it's on a disc, you can rip it to your hard drive and use EMC to burn it and other audio files to disc. Yep, it's an extra few steps but such is the life of online buying and Digital Rights Management :)

Thank you very much for your quick response. I was able to burn the .wma file to CD using Windows Media Player as you recommended.

I still don't understand why I'm not able to write the .wma files to CD using Roxio because I have done it numerous times in the past. I still have .wma files that I have previous burned to CD using Roxio, but I can't burn them now. Something changed in my Roxio application so that this is no longer allowed.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Roxio. Read the agreement in the link. It has to do with how many times you've tried to burn it, where you've tried to burn it, and who liscensed it to buy.com

Music from one source may have completely different restrictions than music from another souce, even tho you download both from buy.com

For some reason, the record companies think such controls are going to make their services more popular than the unliscensed ones.

Lynn

Archived