• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
cajun1955

Easy Media Creator Label Maker

Question

Ok, with some well received information from ye olde "Beerman", I was able to get my Easy Media Creator 8 to recognize my DVD drive and begin burning discs again.

Now, having accomplished that, I'd like to be able to create labels for those discs.

Got the labels and dug around all over the place for simple, step-by-step guidelines on HOW to use the various tools in the label maker toolbox to create my own labels.

All I want to do is to be able to select a freakin' style, type some words and a date onto the label matrix, and then print the #$^@ thing.

From what I can see, though, I'm going to need degrees in art and engineering to accomplish these simple tasks.

Also, I downloaded a whole bunch of other extras, from a second disc that came with my Roxio Easy Meida Creator 8. The stuff on that second disc is supposed to give me all kinds of juicy little extra things I can do, including pulling up pre-designed labels. I can't find the folder and its files!

I thought it would execute when I opened Easy Media 8 or, at the least, show up as an accessory folder.

But, NOOOOO!

Nowhere to be seen.

Any ideas on how all of this junk software works?

Please chime in and THANKS in advance.

6 answers to this question

Ok, with some well received information from ye olde "Beerman", I was able to get my Easy Media Creator 8 to recognize my DVD drive and begin burning discs again.

Now, having accomplished that, I'd like to be able to create labels for those discs.

Got the labels and dug around all over the place for simple, step-by-step guidelines on HOW to use the various tools in the label maker toolbox to create my own labels.

All I want to do is to be able to select a freakin' style, type some words and a date onto the label matrix, and then print the #$^@ thing.

From what I can see, though, I'm going to need degrees in art and engineering to accomplish these simple tasks.

Also, I downloaded a whole bunch of other extras, from a second disc that came with my Roxio Easy Meida Creator 8. The stuff on that second disc is supposed to give me all kinds of juicy little extra things I can do, including pulling up pre-designed labels. I can't find the folder and its files!

I thought it would execute when I opened Easy Media 8 or, at the least, show up as an accessory folder.

But, NOOOOO!

Nowhere to be seen.

Any ideas on how all of this junk software works?

Please chime in and THANKS in advance.

Did you actually install the Content disk or just copy files to your hard drive? If you didn't install it, you aren't going to be able to use all of those juicy extras.

In Label Creator, you would then click on the Select Style button, and you will see many pre-designed layouts.

Did you actually install the Content disk or just copy files to your hard drive? If you didn't install it, you aren't going to be able to use all of those juicy extras.

In Label Creator, you would then click on the Select Style button, and you will see many pre-designed layouts.

Yes, I checked and it shows up in Windows Add/Remove. Just in case it wasn't properly configured or something, I used that folder's Repair feature. Apparently, the contents of that extra disc are installed and available.

Ok, now where do I go to tell me HOW to use the features. I've downloaded the Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 User's Manual, if you want to call it that.

It tells me NOTHING about HOW to use the features.

It tells me what you are supposed to be able to do with the various features but not HOW to use the features to accomplish what they're supposed to be capable of doing.

In fact, what I'm getting from Roxio is that the real intent of its software is to goad you into upgrading to the next software level, which is supposed to take you to software Nirvana. Like hell!

I'm about fed-up with Roxio and ready to uninstall it once again and trash it or something.

I can't stand to struggle with software that's not intuitive.

Intuitive to whom? That is one of the strong points for this software as reviewed by a lot of magazines. Look around and you'll find that other software is not as user friendly. User friendly is dependent on your thought process, however.

Have you used any of the help files, tutorials or other demos in the program itself? Also look at the Tips and Tricks area of the V9 board. For the most part V8 and V9 operate about the same..

One thing we haven't discussed is your hardware; especially your video set up. Post that information. Update the drivers for your card/chip and update your version of Microsoft's DirectX 9c.

Edited by sknis

Intuitive to whom? That is one of the strong points for this software as reviewed by a lot of magazines. Look around and you'll find that other software is not as user friendly. User friendly is dependent on your thought process, however.

Have you used any of the help files, tutorials or other demos in the program itself? Also look at the Tips and Tricks area of the V9 board. For the most part V8 and V9 operate about the same..

One thing we haven't discussed is your hardware; especially your video set up. Post that information. Update the drivers for your card/chip and update your version of Microsoft's DirectX 9c.

I want to tell you I'm excited and very grateful for the expert feedback I'm receiving on this website. Too bad Roxio, Nero, and HP aren't as considerate. Certainly they don't mind taking your money, selling you products; then they're only too happy to refer you to blogs for answers to your questions.

Anyway I went to Windos Update and installed the suggested software updates. I'll see if I can find any updates for my chip set and video card tomorrow.

When I say these programs aren't intuitive, what I mean is that they promote this stuff as though my five year old daughter, who's quite computer savvy by the way, can simply open the programs and go to town!

When I open Easy Label Creator (a misnomer if ever there was one) what I see are all these icons that are supposed to enable me to perform advanced label designing tasks.

Ok, HOW DO I USE THE FUNCTIONS OF THOSE ICONS to perform BASIC TASKS?

I've downloaded and read what Roxio calls its manual.

It tells you what you CAN DO with the software, not HOW TO DO IT.

Oh, and sprinkled amid all of the suggetons about what you mgiht be able to accomplish are not-so-subtle suggestions that you should upgrade to the latest version.

Why spend more money?

I can't use what I already have?

All I want to do is to be able to open Easy Label Creator, forget about the x,y axis and all that bullshit, and just be able to select a label style, type in some text, type in a date, and print the #$^@ thing.

Where does it tell me how to do that?

Nowhere.

That's why I'm so irate.

I'll see if I can find any updates for my chip set and video card tomorrow.

When I open Easy Label Creator (a misnomer if ever there was one) what I see are all these icons that are supposed to enable me to perform advanced label designing tasks.

Ok, HOW DO I USE THE FUNCTIONS OF THOSE ICONS to perform BASIC TASKS?

For someone who has not used this program before, I would strongly suggest that the the icons be ignored(except for printing).

The easiest way is to use the printed options on the left of the windows. If that text isn't visible, the video card/drivers really need to be updated.

Start off you selecting new project from the top menu. This will open. Select what you want to do.

Next, use the five options that are highlighted with the arrows. I think they are self explanatory. Note that when you add an image, the image is placed off to the right; simply drag that to where you want it on the outline of the project. Resize it by dragging the corners, stretch it by dragging one of the sides. Do that after you have selected the style or edit the background (if it disappears, use the send to back/front command).

Select style will give you the option of up to about 14 styles. Edit background allows you to choose a solid color or allows you to select a background image that will cover the entire disc rather than just part of it (image)

Show/Hide smart objects allows you to add or subtract things shown on the outline - along with title/author/track list, there are other items. I usually don't use many of these.

Finally auto-fill from disc will place the information that is on your CD onto the outline. That again is title author and track list. You must have enabled CD text and named the disc and author in order for this to pick up that information. The track list will show up in a small box that can be resized and moved. The text can be changed by selecting the box and by using the icons for the text just below the icons that are hard to understand. That string of icons will show up only after text is added and selected.

Again, if you can't see the text, I can understand the anger. In truth; I prefer other labeling programs but this one does enough for me and I can make Light Scribe Labels or can print directly on discs from my printer.

Edited by sknis

Guess cajun is not coming back; to bad. :( I think his problem was video card/chip drivers or display settings. :unsure:

Edited by sknis