• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 8 is cutting my clips short

newitt

Question

I am using Toast 8.0.1 to burn MPEG2's to a video DVD.

Toast is set reencode to never, but the VOBs on my DVD always come out about 1 second (23 frames to be exact) shorter than my source MPEG2s.

I have tried using MPEG2s encoded in different ways, hardware and software encoders using various settings, but result is always the same.

I have also tried using an old copy of Toast 6.1.1 which works perfectly, the DVD is frame accurate with my source MPEG.

I know 23 frames doesn't sound a lot but it's kind of crucial when your clips are under 10 seconds.

Would really appreciate any help.

12 answers to this question

I followed your instructions. It extracts it to the video window as a 31 sec MPEG-2 29.97 fps. I export as a window media file and when I play it in quick time, it still only plays out 15 secs. When I export as a quick time file,, it plays the whole 31 secs, but at 15 secs, it freeze to the last frame of video while the sound plays out. I don't know what to do? Any suggestions. <_<

I don't know why that would happen but it may be due to timecode breaks. In this case you need to use MPEG Streamclip. Open the video from the source DVD in Streamclip and choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu. Put that MPEG in the Toast Video window and try the export to Windows Media.

Hi,

I am finding that the last few frames of my MPEG2's are being clipped regardless of the clip duration.

Below is a link where you can download an example 2 minute MPEG2, if I burn this to a video DVD with Toast 8 I loose a few frames off the end (Toast 6 does not truncate the MPEGs when burned to video DVD).

http://front.framestore-cfc.com/file/41276...ARCHIVE_PAL.mpg

This clip has been encoded with a ProCoder 3 MPEG2 template. The clip has burned in timecode so you can see exactly whats being clipped.

Here is another link where you can download further examples of MPEG2's all of which get frames clipped from the end when burned to video DVD in Toast 8.

https://front.framestore-cfc.com/p39555369-09a39722-2840879

Any help apprecited

Still no word from Roxio support on this issue. we registered the problem a month ago but have only received a ticket number: 409551

Please can somebody get back to us on this. All our tests have proved that these DVDs are having the end clipped off by a whole second, which renders Toast 8 useless. Toast 6 works fine.

The mpeg2 files are encoded with Telestream.

Any help would be appreciated

I don't know why that would happen but it may be due to timecode breaks. In this case you need to use MPEG Streamclip. Open the video from the source DVD in Streamclip and choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu. Put that MPEG in the Toast Video window and try the export to Windows Media.

I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean when you say Open the video in Streamclip. Is this another software. Please provide more detail - Thanks :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean when you say Open the video in Streamclip. Is this another software. Please provide more detail - Thanks :rolleyes:

MPEG Streamclip is a freeware application that also requires Apple's Quicktime MPEG 2 Playback Component ($20) if you want to view the MPEG video in Streamclip. It is a very handy application to have as it can do cutting or trimming of MPEG video as well as fix timecode breaks which are common with devices such as DVD camcorders and standalone DVD recorders. Unlike Toast, you don't first need to extract an MPEG file from a DVD in order to use it in Streamclip. You can open the VOB's inside the VIDEO_TS folder inside the DVD. After fixing timecode breaks you need to "Convert to MPEG" with Streamclip so Toast can use the fixed video. Converting to MPEG does not re-encode the video so it has no affect the quality in any way.

Hi,

I noticed the same thing a while back, I was making MPEG2s in CleanerXL and foud that my clips were being truncated by about a second on my Toast burned DVD's.

Toast shouldn't really be doing anything to MPEG2 video files because they're already the right format for DVD. But it looks like the last GOP was missing or something like that??

I played around with all the settgins in Toast and Cleaner, set re-encode to never, etc... all with the same reults, ended up switching to Nero to burn my discs

So not much help sorry!

Any response from Roxio on this one? My video gets clipped by about half when I try to export my DVD to a window media file. <_<

That sounds different from the other posters who point out that they are losing nearly one second at the end of the video. If you're losing half your video and the source is from a DVD then my guess is you are not using Toast's Media Browser to first extract the MPEG videos from the DVD. Select DVD Video as the format in the Video window. Insert the DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. When the disc appears in the browser window click the + button to extract the DVD's MPEG videos to the Video window. When that is done click on the titles you want to export and click the Export button.

That sounds different from the other posters who point out that they are losing nearly one second at the end of the video. If you're losing half your video and the source is from a DVD then my guess is you are not using Toast's Media Browser to first extract the MPEG videos from the DVD. Select DVD Video as the format in the Video window. Insert the DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. When the disc appears in the browser window click the + button to extract the DVD's MPEG videos to the Video window. When that is done click on the titles you want to export and click the Export button.

I followed your instructions. It extracts it to the video window as a 31 sec MPEG-2 29.97 fps. I export as a window media file and when I play it in quick time, it still only plays out 15 secs. When I export as a quick time file,, it plays the whole 31 secs, but at 15 secs, it freeze to the last frame of video while the sound plays out. I don't know what to do? Any suggestions. <_<

Archived