• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Saving Production

lsyts

Question

9 answers to this question

Thanks Granpabruce,

If I save as DMSM file will I be able to play cd in CD player or only on the computer?Trying to make a video of my grandaughter. Pretty new at this stuff. I will try saving as image file and see if it works that way. Thanks for you help.

Guest mlpasley
Thanks Granpabruce,

If I save as DMSM file will I be able to play cd in CD player or only on the computer?Trying to make a video of my grandaughter. Pretty new at this stuff. I will try saving as image file and see if it works that way. Thanks for you help.

What you need to do if you want to play it on a DVD player, is ....With your production (.dmsm) file open in VideoWave, hit the DVD button ( or File\ Burn production to Disk... ) which will open DVD Builder and select Video CD. Once you have the menu the way you want it, click on Burn to burn the CD.

IF you want it to play on your computer and the video is less than 15 - 20 minutes, select DVD on CD. I think both Cineplayer and Roxio Player will play the video on your OR on another computer that has software that will play DVDs.

You could also do a File\ Output Production to... and choose Video File\ Choose Playback on this computer for an MPEG2 file or Playback on another computer for an MPEG1 file and choose Best quality. MPEG1 is MUCH LOWER quality than MPEG2. MPEG2 is what is put on a DVD if you had a DVD burner.

As you go through each of the screens, hit Help and the program will explain your options. If you decide that you want a different type of CD, go to File\ Change project type in DVD Builder.

Hope that helps. If that wasn't clear, please ask.

Thanks Granpabruce,

A dmsm file is not a video file and cannot be played on a computer or a CD/DVD player. It is only a text file containing the the editing instructions, source files used in your production, etc. You cannot create a CD that will play on a CD player. You have to create a VCD, SVCD or DVD and they will only be playable on DVD players. Have you run the tutorials to learn the basics of this video stuff? THere is also a Roxio for Dummies book available that might help you get started.

Thanks Granpabruce,

The .dmsm file is only a set of instructions to tell DVD Builder what to do when burning the video. It is not a video file, so burning it won't do anything except archive it.

Do you have a DVD burner? If not, I would recommend getting one. If you are going to make a DVD out of a video, you want the best quality you can get. You won't get that by burning to a CD.

Can anyone tell me how to save my production as MPEG? The only way I can save now is as DMSM

or DMSD. I'm using Easy Media Creator 7.

If you are creating a production, you want to save it as a .dmsm. The only reason I would output it to mpeg is if I had audio sync problems. I don't know what kind of production you are burning, but here is a post that I made often, on the old boards. It mentions slide shows, but the mechanics are the same, no matter what.:

First of all, it is best to build your slideshow in VideoWave, save it, then click on the burn button, (DVD icon) which will open DVD Builder. Pick DVD for project type, then make any changes that you want for the background picture that will show on the DVD when it comes up, in your set top player. You can make other changes as well, such as what music will play at the Menu screen. Save your production in DVD Builder, too.

Now, click on the burn icon. Uncheck the Burn to DVD option and check the Burn to Image File option. In the Advanced Options, pick best, and also, in the dropdown box, pick whether you want the production to play through or whatever you want. Also, make sure that NTSC is showing, if you live in the U.S.

Pick a name and location for the ISO file, and click Burn. Once the file is burned, open Disc Copier, click on the Advanced Options, click in the circle to the left of Disc Image or DVD Video Folder, browse for the ISO file that you just made, click on it, and it will load into Disc Copier. You can then burn it to DVD. This ISO option works best, for most.

Prior to doing all of this, defrag your hard drive, get rid of all spyware on your computer, using AdAware or Spybot, and make sure that your DVD burner has the latest firmware update.

Can anyone tell me how to save my production as MPEG? The only way I can save now is as DMSM

or DMSD. I'm using Easy Media Creator 7.

File/Output Production To then highlight Video File and click next. Click the pull down arrow to 'show all' then you can choose the type you want to save your file to.

If lsyts is just trying to save an MPEG file that he wants to play on another computer, why doesn't he just save it to a folder and burn the mpeg file to a regular CD-R or DVD+-R disk depending on how large the video is. That way he can play it on most all computers running Windows in Windows Media Player. However, if he wants to play it on a computer capable of playing DVD's or other DVD players, then by all means he should use the EMC program as others have suggested (VideoWave to DVD Builder etc.) using the proper steps.

That also assumes he has a DVD burner as was suggested by myguggi.

Frank..........

Guest mlpasley
If lsyts is just trying to save an MPEG file that he wants to play on another computer, why doesn't he just save it to a folder and burn the mpeg file to a regular CD-R or DVD+-R disk depending on how large the video is. That way he can play it on most all computers running Windows in Windows Media Player. However, if he wants to play it on a computer capable of playing DVD's or other DVD players, then by all means he should use the EMC program as others have suggested (VideoWave to DVD Builder etc.) using the proper steps.

That also assumes he has a DVD burner as was suggested by myguggi.

Frank..........

Well, I was going on the assumption that when he said "will I be able to play cd in CD player or only on the computer", that's what he meant. Just burning an mpeg file to a CD isn't going to get it to play in a DVD player. ( I did make the assumption that he meant a DVD player. )

However, I agree that burning it to a DVD will give the best video if he has a DVD burner. That would play both on a DVD player and any computer that has DVD playing software installed.

Archived