• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Blanks

savagem

Question

When I burn the disc, no errors are reported. But the disc can't/won't play, in either DVD player or Computer.

Ok, I am not a total newbie, but NOT an expert either, but I will list the details I think are relevant.....

I can open the disc, and I see .IFO, BUP and MPEG files, BUT they all contain 0 Bytes ! ! ! ( This is obviously the problem ! ) I have tried to burn several times, at slowest burn speed, and different types of discs. ( HP and TDK, both -R ) I have updated firmware for video card and burner. Burner is Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1693S

I am using MyDVD to burn the disc. Project contains multiple menu pages, and is extremly large. I have to choose "Extra Long Play" in the QUALITY box to make it all fit. The project runs fine in preview mode. And again, NO ERRORS are reported when I burn. I have been able to burn other projects just fine, though none were as large as this.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

BTW....videos are of a School Assembly, not ripped DVD movies, etc. Copy protection should not be an issue. Right?)

6 answers to this question

If the total length of time is over 2 hours, burn to a Folder Set instead of an .iso file. Anything over 2 hours will be cut off, if burned to an .iso file.

Ok, I will try it, and let you know the results.

Could I use a dual-layer disc and try the same idea? Burn it to a dual layer, then use disc copier?

Ok, I will try it, and let you know the results.

Could I use a dual-layer disc and try the same idea? Burn it to a dual layer, then use disc copier?

Don't burn to the disc first. Uncheck that in MyDVD, and select Folder set. I would not use the lower quality when selecting the project type, in MyDVD. I would use best quality.

Create a folder wherever you want it on your hard drive, and save it there.

Once it is done, open Disc Copier, browse to the folder set, and burn it. MyDVD will compress it to a regular DVD or to a DL DVD.

Don't burn to the disc first. Uncheck that in MyDVD, and select Folder set. I would not use the lower quality when selecting the project type, in MyDVD. I would use best quality.

Create a folder wherever you want it on your hard drive, and save it there.

Once it is done, open Disc Copier, browse to the folder set, and burn it. MyDVD will compress it to a regular DVD or to a DL DVD.

Thought I would keep you updated....files seemed to burn ok to folder set. I am now attempting to burn from folder set to DVD ! Cross your fingers

EDIT......worked ok. The title screens on the first video run very quickly, but other than that, worked great ! Thank you guys for all of your help !

Thought I would keep you updated....files seemed to burn ok to folder set. I am now attempting to burn from folder set to DVD ! Cross your fingers

EDIT......worked ok. The title screens on the first video run very quickly, but other than that, worked great ! Thank you guys for all of your help !

You are welcome.

Nope, copy protection doesn't sound like an issue for your project. Size may be an issue, even if you're using the extra long play setting. Instead, try burning to an image file ( <filename>.iso ) instead of direct to a disc. Then use Disc Copier to open the .iso file and burn it to the disc.

Oh, and I would use the best quality settings (HQ?) and let Disc Copier do the compression to fit on the disc. The end result is usually better, quality wise, that way. You may want to use erasable RW discs to test with first. If it all works, then you can just use the .iso ile to burn to an R disc.

Archived