Is there a way to increase output volume?

DDGNF

Question

My DVDs are coming out a bit quiet. I found the volume button when editing the video and while I can slide it to a -30+, I can only slide it to a +6, is there a way to override that 6 number or is there another way to increase my output volume?

Thank you very much.

2 answers to this question

My DVDs are coming out a bit quiet. I found the volume button when editing the video and while I can slide it to a -30+, I can only slide it to a +6, is there a way to override that 6 number or is there another way to increase my output volume?

Thank you very much.

See if this helps you http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...l=output+volume

That link is to my reply to the first time DDGNF asked about volume. Clearly he/she got as far as trying that.

DDGNF:

You are right that you can only increase by 6dB; I think that limit is set to avoid undue risk of clipping/distortion, as for most videos, some part of the sound track is likely to be already close to or at the maximum.

Here is something else you can try:

Open Videowave, click add video and navigate to the video clip you want in the explorer or media manager. Instead of loading it, however, right click on it, click extract Audio. Save to a suitable folder on your hard drive (it will save as a .wav file with the name taken from the video you're extracting from).

Open the audio file in Sound Editor, click on the titlebar of the timeline, so that the whole clip is selected. Then tools menu, Fading and volume, click Maximize volume. That will increase the volume of the whole clip such that the loudest part is as loud as it can be without being clipped. That's the loudest you should have, anyway. Then click export current clip, save it as a .wav file with a new name.

If some section of the track is still too quiet, open that saved file back into Sound editor, select the bit of the track whose volume you want to increase relative to the rest (but obviously not containing the loudest part that is already maximised) and either maximise that part again, or you can right click on the blue volume line, insert nodes and drag them up, down or sideways until you have the desired volume profile. Then export/save the file again

Now in Videowave, you can add that audio file to the external track of your video; if necessary (in case it's not absolutely in sync), mute the internal (native) track (right click on it, click mute).

Hope that's clear. If not I'll try and post a screenshot.

You could, of course, also try turning up the volume when you play back the video :-)

Archived