• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 8 Poor Quality Problems

cyber minion

Question

Hi, I downloaded Roxio Toast 8 last week and have been encountering problems with the quality of the DVD's after they have been burned. The video files are actually in very good quality when I preview them on my Macbook, but after burning with Toast 8 the quality is a joke to say the least. I've tried everything: changing the NTSC and PAL settings, changing the write speed from Automatic to 2X and then to 4x , and even adjusting the video quality but none of those helped even to the slightest degree.

I'm obviously using a SuperDrive and Memorex DVD-RW's.

I seriously do not know what to do and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Poor Quality Problems ... after burning the quality is a joke to say the least ...

If you describe in what way the quality is so bad, then that may help readers understand exactly what is going on.

The fact that the preview-on-HD has good quality may point to bad media.

I'm using Memorex DVD-RW's.

Memorex isn't known for their quality discs (they are resellers for several suppliers of varying quality), so give some A-brand a try: Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

Try looking up the Manufacturer ID (a.k.a. Media Code) from the Disc Info dialog box. That's the only way to compare discs. Then you can search a database with user experiences.

The best way to describe the quality is probably "fuzzy." It looks as though someone recorded the movie at the theater - that's how bad it is.

I've have also considered that the problem may be within the fact that I'm using Memorex, so I will definitely try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and see if that helps.

If you have never installed Perian, 3ivX or DivX then Toast will install the DivX codec and use it.

Make sure you have Toast 8.0.1 since it installs the newest version of the DivX codec.

Also, in Toast if you use custom encoder settings you can adjust the bit rate and motion estimation. This will hep with the quality.

However, when you go from DivX to DVD, sometimes the quality is not has good.

Archived