• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VCD to DVD ?

itsme51

Question

15 answers to this question

Walt,

If you put that VCD in your drive, can you Capture it?

No, I can't capture from the VCD using EMC 7.5 Capture. The program sees the VCD and the folder structure but not any of the files.

I can easily copy the AVSEQ01.dat file from the CD to my hard drive, change the dat to mpg and load it into Videowave.

No, I can't capture from the VCD using EMC 7.5 Capture. The program sees the VCD and the folder structure but not any of the files.

I can easily copy the AVSEQ01.dat file from the CD to my hard drive, change the dat to mpg and load it into Videowave.

Thanks for all that work, Walt.

Below is from digitalfaq.com

"If your not sure what kind of file you have, run it through G spot codec information appliance (use Version 2.52 or higher, I run 260 RC1) As long as the file is not corrupted, it will reveal every aspect of the file."

Get it Here.

This might be the easy way for itsme51 and the file that won't copy.

Sorry I don't have a bad or corrupted one to show, below a good VCD and SVCD.

GspotVCD.png

Gspotsvcd.png

cd

I haven't checked in for a few days and was happy to see all the discussion. Thanks for everyone's input.

To answer CD's question - Ii have version 7.5.0.49 ENU.

Does this information help - when I placed the VCD in my set top DVD player, initially it would not play. Then the readout screen on the DVD player said "PCB is on". Now, goodness, I have no idea what that means so I reviewed the owner manual and found instructions to turn PCB OFF when playing a VCD. So I did and it played.

When I get home tonight I will try some of all of your suggestions. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Quite frankly since it plays on my player I don't even know why I care about converting any more. Now it is just a QUEST. I need to know why it won't allow itself to be copied.

I suspect that you are not doing something right but I think you are just mixing the steps up

If you navigate to the xxx.dat file and select Copy and then paste it to a folder on your HD, it is going to work.

You can only rename it after it is on your HD! Trying to rename it on the optical drive will result in that error message.

Is this VCD-CD burned to a CD-R or CD-RW?

All my VCD's are numbered MUSIC01.DAT in the folder named MPEGAV. It did take me 9 or 10 min to copy to the HD all 742 MB (778,909,696 bytes).

Question if I missed it, how many folders are on your VCD-CD and what are they named?

This is what's on my VCD's.

1. CDDA- Empty

2. KARAOKE- Empty

3. SEGMENT- Empty

4. CDI- Empty

5. MPEGAV- MUSIC01.DAT

6. VCD-ENTRIES.VCD, LOT.VCD, INFO.VCD, PSD.VCD.

cd

This VCD is burned on a CD-R.

Here are the folders on the VCD:

1. EXT - Empty

2. MPEGAV - AVSEQ01.DAT

3. SEGMENT - Empty

4. VCD - ENTRIES.VCD, INFO.VCD, LOT.VCD, PSD.VCD

I am not very knowledgeable in computer / media technology. I'd welcome any suggestions or instructions. My feelings won't be hurt if you explain in terms a 2-year old would understand :mellow: I've been quite successful using many features of EMC and have been quite proud of myself but this issue is a bit technical for me.

Susan

2. MPEGAV - AVSEQ01.DAT

Ok Susan,

you have a SVCD not a VCD. AVSEQ01.DAT in the MPEGAV folder, are what my SVCD's show. Your problem with copying it, I'm begining to think this a OS, Windows problem. One good thing is the SVCD is better quality of the original than VCD!

Susan, let me revisit this for a day and I will get back to you.

I'm stalling, waiting for James Hardin to chime in with his thoughts on the copying problem!

cd

Ok Susan,

you have a SVCD not a VCD. AVSEQ01.DAT in the MPEGAV folder, are what my SVCD's show. Your problem with copying it, I'm begining to think this a OS, Windows problem. One good thing is the SVCD is better quality of the original than VCD!

Susan, let me revisit this for a day and I will get back to you.

I'm stalling, waiting for James Hardin to chime in with his thoughts on the copying problem!

cd

cd, I think Susan has a VCD folder as she claims. I just popped in a SVCD and the folders are named

EXT

MPEG2

SEGMENT

SVCD

and under MPEG2 is the video file named AVSEQ01.mpg

. VCD files are named ****.dat

I suspect that you are not doing something right but I think you are just mixing the steps up

If you navigate to the xxx.dat file and select Copy and then paste it to a folder on your HD, it is going to work.

You can only rename it after it is on your HD! Trying to rename it on the optical drive will result in that error message.

I opened the folder named MPEGAV and found only one file in it which was entitled xxx.DAT. I right clicked on the DAT file, chose copy, then went to a folder on my hard drive and clicked and pasted. It began the copying process and midway just stopped and displayed the message "Cannot copy xxx.DAT. Parameter is incorrect." I'm stumped. Maybe the file on the VCD is corrupted? Although it plays on my computer fine and on my set top DVD player fine. I may just have to keep the VCD format and be satisfied. Having the VCD is better than not having the movie at all I guess. Thanks for your help.

Cannot copy xxx.DAT. Parameter is incorrect

Is this VCD-CD burned to a CD-R or CD-RW?

All my VCD's are numbered MUSIC01.DAT in the folder named MPEGAV. It did take me 9 or 10 min to copy to the HD all 742 MB (778,909,696 bytes).

Question if I missed it, how many folders are on your VCD-CD and what are they named?

This is what's on my VCD's.

1. CDDA- Empty

2. KARAOKE- Empty

3. SEGMENT- Empty

4. CDI- Empty

5. MPEGAV- MUSIC01.DAT

6. VCD-ENTRIES.VCD, LOT.VCD, INFO.VCD, PSD.VCD.

cd

Thanks for the help Walt,

the difference we're seeing I think is what application burned the VCD or SVCD. My SVCD's were burned in Nero have ( AVSEQ01.DAT in the MPEGAV folder), The creation dates on the CD's are 2002 so this is from memory.

If I place a VCD or SVCD in EMC 9 Disc Copier. I get a software ID of sorts. The Nero SVCD is named New, because I didn't name it then and I know that. A Roxio 5 VCD has a ( VCDCCE5C ) under contents from the source side. Walt check one and see what yours say.

Susan what version of the software do you have V7 or V7.5? Open Creator Classic and from the top help, about Creator Classic should list your version #.

Try to send the whole VCD-CD to the hard drive from my computer. right click open, from the top click edit and select all, right click on one of the highlighted folders and choose send to My Documents. Or try to copy the MPEGAV folder and paste that to the hard drive. Or highlight the MPEGAV folder and send to My Documents. If none of the above work. Open Disc Copier and copy the VCD-CD to a new CD, choose a slow speed to copy the disc. Then try everything again with the new disc.

cd

the difference we're seeing I think is what application burned the VCD or SVCD. My SVCD's were burned in Nero have ( AVSEQ01.DAT in the MPEGAV folder), The creation dates on the CD's are 2002 so this is from memory.

If I place a VCD or SVCD in EMC 9 Disc Copier. I get a software ID of sorts. The Nero SVCD is named New, because I didn't name it then and I know that. A Roxio 5 VCD has a ( VCDCCE5C ) under contents from the source side. Walt check one and see what yours say.

Susan what version of the software do you have V7 or V7.5? Open Creator Classic and from the top help, about Creator Classic should list your version #.

Try to send the whole VCD-CD to the hard drive from my computer. right click open, from the top click edit and select all, right click on one of the highlighted folders and choose send to My Documents. Or try to copy the MPEGAV folder and paste that to the hard drive. Or highlight the MPEGAV folder and send to My Documents. If none of the above work. Open Disc Copier and copy the VCD-CD to a new CD, choose a slow speed to copy the disc. Then try everything again with the new disc.

cd

Good idea, Susan seems to have reached a stone wall in trying to copy the file to her HD. Maybe the Copy idea will work, but I am starting to think the drive is getting too weak to handle the long continuous load.

She can play it, but then Player are designed to overlook all sorts of abuse that other applications will not tolerate.

Another possibility would be to have a friend try copying the files to their HD and burn her a fresh disc. – that would cover the weak drive speculation…

cd

I just created a VCD and SVCD using EMC 7.5 (from identical dmsd projects) and the CD file structure is as shown below. Another SVCD I have was produced another software and has a similar structure to the Roxio SVCD.I don't have EMC 9 installed at the moment

for a VCD

ROXIOVCD

CDI

EXT

LOT_X.VCD

PSD_X.VCD

SCANDATA.DAT

KARAOKE

MPEGAV

AVSEQ01.DAT

SEGMENT

ITEM0001.DAT