• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Tromso

BSOD due to tfswctrl.exe Sonic DLA update

Question

I'm getting a BSOD due to tfswctrl.exe Startup.

The BSOD gives the error: Ox0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x89673298, 0xBA583BEC, 0xBA5838E8).

I have Easy Media Creator 9 on Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

I was able to reboot in safe mode and find after running msconfig.exe that just turning the following on or off in the Startup causes the BSOD:

tfswctrl c:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run+

I have all the other Roxio, InstallShield startup programs switched off now, but just switching this one on is causing the BSOD

I did get an automatic install from the InstallShield last night to do with a Sonic Application but I don't remember the full name of the install. I was just one application and I think it probably started with tfs something. This tfswctrl.exe file in c:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe has a modification date of 31/05/2005, there is a dla.ini file in same directory with date modified 10/7/2007.

I have tried running the latest NOD32 antivirus program and Webroot SpySweeper on this file and my PC but find no virues or other problems. I also did a error check of the hard disk.

DLA = Drive Letter Access

The tfswctrl.exe properties show file version 1.04.08a with buildname TFSDLA40

5 answers to this question

I'm getting a BSOD due to tfswctrl.exe Startup.

The BSOD gives the error: Ox0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x89673298, 0xBA583BEC, 0xBA5838E8).

I have Easy Media Creator 9 on Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

I was able to reboot in safe mode and find after running msconfig.exe that just turning the following on or off in the Startup causes the BSOD:

tfswctrl c:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run+

I have all the other Roxio, InstallShield startup programs switched off now, but just switching this one on is causing the BSOD

I did get an automatic install from the InstallShield last night to do with a Sonic Application but I don't remember the full name of the install. I was just one application and I think it probably started with tfs something. This tfswctrl.exe file in c:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe has a modification date of 31/05/2005, there is a dla.ini file in same directory with date modified 10/7/2007.

I have tried running the latest NOD32 antivirus program and Webroot SpySweeper on this file and my PC but find no virues or other problems. I also did a error check of the hard disk.

DLA = Drive Letter Access

The tfswctrl.exe properties show file version 1.04.08a with buildname TFSDLA40

Look for, and uninstall Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc.

If you have an older version of Roxio, uninstall Direct CD.

Look for, and uninstall Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc.

If you have an older version of Roxio, uninstall Direct CD.

Thanks I uninstalled Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc, did not have Direct CD

I still got the BSOD when I turned on tfswctrl.exe in the msconfig.exe startup. So I will be leaving that and all the other Roxio, especially the installshield <grrrrr> updates switched off.

The knowledge base was advising it be switched off in the event of problems. I just got the BSOD rather than any menton of DVRNDDM.sys. I'm suprised tfswctrl.exe was still in the startup for msconfig.exe after I removed Sonic DLA and Roxio Drag to Disc

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/RecordNow/0...L?set-locale=en

Issue When shutting down or starting up your PC, the computer crashes due to DRVNDDM.sys. The error map also say:

Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area fault

Cause Drive Letter Access has become corrupt or may not be compatible with other applications, such as Packet Writing Utilities, on your system.

Resolution NOTE: Later versions of DLA do not cause this error. If you use DLA frequently, you may want to consider upgrading to the latest release of RecordNow or DLA here.

The easiest way to resolve this issue is to disable DLA:

1. Go to Start --> Run

2. Type "msconfig" in the Open: box and click OK. This will launch the System Configuration Utility (SCU).

3. In the SCU, choose the Startup tab

4. Look for the Startup Item "tfswctrl.exe" or "tfswctrl" and uncheck it.

5. Click Apply and then Close

6. A dialog window will open. Choose Restart.

7. After restarting, a new dialog window will pop up saying your system configuration has changed. Check the box at the end of the message to stop the message from reappearing. Click OK.

If you continue to have issues with crashing, you may want to remove DLA all together:

1. Go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs

2. Locate Sonic DLA or Drive Letter Access from the list of applications

3. Choose Remove

Regarding tfswctrl.exe this is an HP program for packet writing - check this site for info

Thanks I noticed that when doing a google search on it.

However when I right click on the actual file tfswctrl.exe and look at its properties it does say:

Drive Letter Access Component

Copyright © 2004 Sonic Solutions

BuildName TFSDLA40

Company Sonic Solutions

File Version 1.04.08a

www.file.net/process/tfswctrl.exe.html has more useful information:

tfswctrl.exe file information

The process Drive Letter Access Component or Direct Access Component belongs to the software HP DLA or IBM DLA or Sonic DLA by Sonic Solutions (www.sonic.com) or VERITAS Software, Inc (www.veritas.com) or HP (www.hp.com) or IBM Corporation (www.ibm.com).