Sign in to follow this  
afreemanmd

Has Anyone Ever Successfully Exported A Project From Motion Pictures Hd?

Question

I think Toast is a great program. However, after discovering the bug in the first iteration of Motion Pictures HD, I did not try the update until recently. Today I made my first project. Unfortunately, I have not been able to export it to iMovie, to iDVD, or to Toast (widescreen). The progress bar slowly lengthens until I get the "Motion Pictures HD unexpectedly quit" dialog box. From here it appears that this program is a complete p.o.s. I would like nothing better than have it demonstrated to me that my analysis is in error.

Mac G4 Powermac 1.4 DP, 100+ GB of HD space, OS 10.4.5, Toast and Motion Pictures HD up to date.

25 answers to this question

I think Toast is a great program. However, after discovering the bug in the first iteration of Motion Pictures HD, I did not try the update until recently. Today I made my first project. Unfortunately, I have not been able to export it to iMovie, to iDVD, or to Toast (widescreen). The progress bar slowly lengthens until I get the "Motion Pictures HD unexpectedly quit" dialog box. From here it appears that this program is a complete p.o.s. I would like nothing better than have it demonstrated to me that my analysis is in error.

Mac G4 Powermac 1.4 DP, 100+ GB of HD space, OS 10.4.5, Toast and Motion Pictures HD up to date.

I have the same problem. Started when I upgraded to 7. Emailing tech support is slow, 1 month to respond , so so far I haven't gotten anywhere. Looking for new product as a substitue in the mean time...They want $35.00 tech support phone call for a product u just paid for, what is this country comming too.

Mac G5 2.0 gig dual 3 gigs of ram, OS 10.4.4 all latest update on QT :)

Edited by captnjimi

I had the same problem. I experimented a bit and managed to get one project to export, but in order to get it to work I had to remove the audio track.

The audio tracks I had been using with it were ripped into Apple's lossless format, so I don't know if that had anything to do with the crashing or not. I haven't tried MP3 or AAC audio with it yet.

I reported the problem to Roxio and sent the crash log several days ago. It has been escalated to tier 2 support, whatever that means, but it has been several days since I've heard anything. Obviously this problem isn't uncommon.

It's very frustrating.

G4 Mac mini, OS X 10.4.6

Edited by sgtpork

I am actually working on a project now (its 300+ pictures so it is taking a while) but I have used it before with no issues. I am using the first generation 17 inch powerbook. Hopefully i will know later tonight how well it works and update you.

Update: Well my movie exported properly (I just chose to export to quicktime and used the DV quality). The problem is that the audio only plays for the first slide and then its silent. I will do some investigating and see if I can find the cause.

Edited by frenchtoastwithjam

Thanks for reminding me about this. I fixed it over the weekend and then proptly forgot all about it. The problem was that I used AAC files imported by iTunes. Instead, I imported AAC files using the extract function in the Toast Audio layout, and that worked fine. I dont know whether the problem is a bug in Motion Pictures or in iTunes, but either way, that is the work-around.

As far as I can tell, Motion Picture no longer works on updated Macs. The application 'dies' for all kinds of reasons per the reports. It appears that folks are giving up and using iPhoto slideshow with Ken Burns effect as a workaround (not as good but it works). Roxio is either unaware or ignoring. If you have anything pressing, you should probably give up on Roxio (and think twice before buying one of their products again).

You should check out Photo to Movie. Roxio licenses the programme, but the full version of the programme is completely reliable and has excellent customer service. It's also a universal app, something that Roxio still hasn't gotten around to.

You're right, I do know that updating apps is harder than it appears. Multiple things had gone wrong that night and I was very frustrated.

Argh!!

If I am reading the support notes right, there was an issue with Quicktime compatibility that supposedly the Toast 7 update solves for Motion Pictures. Unfortunately I updated to the brand new Quicktime version before reading this. Either the problem wasn't fixed or the QT update breaks it again since the same error is occuring. Motion Pictures HD crashes during operation (not necessarily during export so I'm not so sure about the Quicktime explanation) such that you can't complete anything. Often it crashes as it is opening the file. It definitely can't stay up long enough to complete an export.

I did find another workaround by using the old version of Motion Pictures 1.0.4 BUT the Mac insists on opening it with the new software if you open without specifying the app (should be able to adjust with file preferences but I haven't done so yet). Once the file opens in a new version of Motion Pic, it will no longer open in the old so you lose any work if you didn't save a copy.

Oh well, my work around doesn't work. Unlike the new software, everything is fine until you go to export, then it crashes. I tried moving the project to the new version of software. This has hung on the export.

If I am following the posts correctly, it seems like the Roxio software hasn't worked yet this year.

Guest ivanatrox

so the same issue happened with Motion Pictures v2.1.2?

Oh well, my work around doesn't work. Unlike the new software, everything is fine until you go to export, then it crashes. I tried moving the project to the new version of software. This has hung on the export.

If I am following the posts correctly, it seems like the Roxio software hasn't worked yet this year.

With the exception of the bug I mentioned it has worked fine for me all year. Maybe you have a system issue. Have you tried installing the 10.4.7 combined updater on top of your current OS installation?

Oh, and the current version 2.1.2, is the only version that is fully intel compatible.

With the exception of the bug I mentioned it has worked fine for me all year. Maybe you have a system issue. Have you tried installing the 10.4.7 combined updater on top of your current OS installation?

Oh, and the current version 2.1.2, is the only version that is fully intel compatible.

I'm ran the Toast updater so I have Motion Pictures 2.1.2. I'm fully up to date with Mac software. OS is 10.4.7. Overall I keep up to date on software. The only other app with issues at the moment are the Gee Three add-ons to iMovie but they seem to be making progress. This appears to be a long standing issue for me and at least a few others based on the posts. So whatever is causing the problem isn't new, probably from 2005.

I'm running the dual dualcore 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 system (4 processors) so Intel chips are not the issue.

Basically the Toast 7 version of MP is unstable for me, it generally crashes while scrolling through the slide list but it can crash at other times as well. I haven't been able to get anything out of it since upgrading. The old version of MP seemed to be fine but now crashes while outputting the movie (sounded like the Quicktime issue that was being discussed except that I've updated everything that was mentioned).

Could old Roxio software be causing any issues? I go back a long ways so there are several versions on my system. I run the provided installer but maybe some of the old software is getting in the way?

I'm ran the Toast updater so I have Motion Pictures 2.1.2. I'm fully up to date with Mac software. OS is 10.4.7. Overall I keep up to date on software. The only other app with issues at the moment are the Gee Three add-ons to iMovie but they seem to be making progress. This appears to be a long standing issue for me and at least a few others based on the posts. So whatever is causing the problem isn't new, probably from 2005.

I'm running the dual dualcore 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 system (4 processors) so Intel chips are not the issue.

Basically the Toast 7 version of MP is unstable for me, it generally crashes while scrolling through the slide list but it can crash at other times as well. I haven't been able to get anything out of it since upgrading. The old version of MP seemed to be fine but now crashes while outputting the movie (sounded like the Quicktime issue that was being discussed except that I've updated everything that was mentioned).

Could old Roxio software be causing any issues? I go back a long ways so there are several versions on my system. I run the provided installer but maybe some of the old software is getting in the way?

Delete the Motion Pictures pliist file and use a utility such as MacJanitor to clean system caches. I don't think the earlier versions of Toast apps could be an issue here. I'm curious if it will make any difference using photos that are approximately 1280 x 960 rather than the higher-resolution images you're probably using now. Try exporting some photos at the lower resolution and try them in Motion Pictures.

I get the same problem - the program quits on me most of the time - occasionally it works, but mostly it doesn't! I can't work out what is different when it works to when it doesn't either - I've produced a 30 minute long slideshow without a problem, and now I'm having trouble getting it to work on a 5 minute one.

Very frustrating. It didn't work with aiff files, I converted them to mp3 but the program froze after a few hours and wouldn't quit. I ended up having to reboot using the power button on the front of the mac!

(G5, dual 2ghz, OSX 10.4.7, 4GB RAM, 500gbHDs, MotionPictureHD Version 2.1.2)

I'm using this program as it's the only one I get get to look good when viewed on an lcd tv - the otherwise far superior iphoto and idvd produced slideshows that look jaggy for a moment before sharpening, which is no good for my clients.

Edited by G5dual2ghz4gbram500gb

Delete the Motion Pictures pliist file and use a utility such as MacJanitor to clean system caches. I don't think the earlier versions of Toast apps could be an issue here. I'm curious if it will make any difference using photos that are approximately 1280 x 960 rather than the higher-resolution images you're probably using now. Try exporting some photos at the lower resolution and try them in Motion Pictures.

Tried the above.. There doesn't seem to be a Motions Pictures plist file so I trashed anything related to roxio or toast. I then launched Motions Pictures and it wanted the cd key. I dug this out but it wouldn't accept it. I quit MP and then launched Toast. Toast also wanted the cd key and accepted the one from the cd case. MP then launched OK.

MP crashed several times whle I was looking it over. The Apple crash reporter even gave up on noticing that ti crashed. Basically it crashed as you scroll through the preview screeen on the left. At some point it stops displaying the file images, intermoing some that it sees and not other. I tried an export in one trial and it gave me a warning that a file was unavailabel and would show a black segment if I continued. So there seems to be some sort of file recognition problem. My small title slides always seem to show up int he preview but th e larger ones are sporadic. The farther down the list you scroll the feweer images that are displayed.

To be honest I have very limited interest in debugging the roxion software. I've already spent hours and hours (approx 3 days) trying to get things to work. It just insn't worth it. I'd much rather that someone direct me to another $50-100 package that works for producing Ken Burns type slides shows in 'bulk automated' mode.

There are two Motion Pictures plist files: "com.lqgraphics.motionpictures.plist" and "com.lqgraphics.phototomovie.plist". I don't experience the problems you're having so it's difficult for me to find a cause.

Another highly regarded photo slide show application is Photo to Movie.

There are two Motion Pictures plist files: "com.lqgraphics.motionpictures.plist" and "com.lqgraphics.phototomovie.plist". I don't experience the problems you're having so it's difficult for me to find a cause.

Another highly regarded photo slide show application is Photo to Movie.

I'm trying to photo to movie now. Thanks for the reference. It seems to be working. At least it can scroll through all the pictures without crashing. I have it rendering now.

Motion Pictures can't preview many of the photos and it seems to get worse as you move down the list. The boxes that show the picture orientation disappear first, then you start to get the 'dashed line' around the preview (that I suspect means that it has lost track of the file entirely).

Thanks for reminding me about this. I fixed it over the weekend and then proptly forgot all about it. The problem was that I used AAC files imported by iTunes. Instead, I imported AAC files using the extract function in the Toast Audio layout, and that worked fine. I dont know whether the problem is a bug in Motion Pictures or in iTunes, but either way, that is the work-around.

Did you import the AAC files from iTunes into Toast & then export or did you import the music files from a CD into Toast?

I see this subject has some age on it. But here's my five cents worth anyway. Users might like to look at MPGStreamclip - drop project on to that to convert files to whatever you need. Some movie cameras only put out MPG1 and they need converting to other formats before you can progress them on to other movie projects. Freebie download for both Mac and PC - drop items into the centre of the square and do save as --chose from lots of formats.

http://www.squared5.com/

Nothing is simple - always some little hitch but I have in the past exported a project out of Motion Pictires ok.

Jude

Trust me, roxio is neither unaware nor ignoring. Updating an applicaiton isnt always as simple as Apple would like us to believe.

Thought I'd report the waste of a perfectly good Sunday afternoon trying to create a slideshow DVD.

After using iMovie 4 and exporting to iDVD 4 only to find out that it wouldn't burn to my third-party DVD writer, I tried using my Roxio suite Motion Picture HD (2.1.2) and Toast 7 Titanium applications (fully upgraded).

I did like the options for motion and slide framing, and preview quality better in Motion Picture HD than that of iMovie 4, but I could never get past the dreaded crash while exporting to DV for Toast. Well actually, I did once get through without crashing, but that was after I disabled the motion eye-candy (which I really like). However, I found that even that was flawed as the DVD created by Toast produced blank photos after about 20 of my 138 slides.

My Mac: Dual G5 1.8ghz, 1gig mem, 50-60 gigs free HD space, OSX 10.4.8 with latest patches (as of March 2007)

So here I am looking at these two options to make slide show DVDs with motion and music...

(1) upgrade to Toast 8 and hope for the best

(2) upgrade to iLife to get iMovie 6 and iDVD 6 which now handles third party drives

I'm kind of leaning toward the iMovie route even though I think the Motion Picture HD/Toast process is easier and to the point for slide shows, but I'm not sure about the quality of output with iMovie/iDVD. I have not been impressed with the video quality (seems very low res and pixely).

Does anybody have anything good to say about iMovie 6/iDVD 6? Is the video quality better than older versions?

Edited by fireInTheHole

So here I am looking at these two options to make slide show DVDs with motion and music...

(1) upgrade to Toast 8 and hope for the best

(2) upgrade to iLife to get iMovie 6 and iDVD 6 which now handles third party drives

I'm kind of leaning toward the iMovie route even though I think the Motion Picture HD/Toast process is easier and to the point for slide shows, but I'm not sure about the quality of output with iMovie/iDVD. I have not been impressed with the video quality (seems very low res and pixely).

Does anybody have anything good to say about iMovie 6/iDVD 6? Is the video quality better than older versions?

Motion Pictures is the same product in Toast 8. You might get burn support from iDVD if you get Patchburn for your OS version. Google for it.

By the way, iMovie 6/iDVD6 are improved from your version. There are forums for these at discussions.apple.com where you can search user comments on slide shows. Also you might check out macintoshdigitalhub.com.

The movie slide show application I like the best is Fotomagico.

Running Mac OS 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7.3 here.

Motion Pictures 2.1.1 does NOT work. (I keep getting that Quicktime error message at the end of the render.)

After reading through the posts here I suspect that 2.1.4t might work (With the newest version of Quicktime), however, 2.1.4t requires Toast 8. (Even though I just bought the stand alone 2.1.1 from the Roxio site.) I don't have Toast 8. (And even if I added it, I would also need to upgrade the Mac OS.)

System Requirements listed for Motion Pictures is OS 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7 or later. Clearly I have that, and yet, it seems I've purchased a piece of software that is completely unusable on my system.

System Requirements listed for Motion Pictures is OS 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7 or later. Clearly I have that, and yet, it seems I've purchased a piece of software that is completely unusable on my system.

If you just bought it, get a refund from Roxio then.

If you just bought it, get a refund from Roxio then.

I agree. Get a refund. If you must have Motion Pictures then your other option is to revert to an earlier version of Quicktime.