• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Basic Edit Question

mgb7

Question

Aplogies for this really simple question, I'm new to video editing

How do I simply cut out an unwanted section using Videowave 7?

I can see how to trim the start and end points, but I've just captured a complete DV tape that's 60 minutes long as a single MPEG-2 file and now want to simply remove the unwanted sections.

Thanks

M.

9 answers to this question

I can see how to trim the start and end points, but I've just captured a complete DV tape that's 60 minutes long as a single MPEG-2 file and now want to simply remove the unwanted sections.

Thanks

M.

In the future I would recommend capturing to avi format especially if you are planning to make edits. It keeps the best quality while mpeg2 is compressed as you capture with resulting loss of quality. The disadvantage of avi capture is very large files. Also try to capture in small 10-15 minute segments, it makes for much easier editing. The projects can easily be combined in DVD Builder.

In the future I would recommend capturing to avi format especially if you are planning to make edits. It keeps the best quality while mpeg2 is compressed as you capture with resulting loss of quality. The disadvantage of avi capture is very large files. Also try to capture in small 10-15 minute segments, it makes for much easier editing. The projects can easily be combined in DVD Builder.

Easy for you to say, Walt. lol I have no way that I can capture to .avi file with my Hauppauge card, but you are correct. AVI is the best way to capture.

Very simple thing to do (removing portions of a previously captured video in VideoWave) once you know how to do it. I agree with Jeff in his reply. However, when you are a very new user to EMC (as "m" stated) and just getting started, it's not always that easy to figure out when using the tutorials. Just stick around this forum "m" and you will learn more and in a shorter time than using the tutorials. I think most of the forum users would agree that the EMC tutorials are not that good. But Jeff gave a very good eaxample in his post as to how to go about what you are trying to do. Kudos Jeff.

One also has to realize that many of the suggestions from others has to do with what type of hardware you are using when attempting or trying a task, as demonstrated by the answers regarding capturing AVI files as opposed to MPEG-2.

Frank.....

1. Drag the clip to the video track in the timeline view.

2. Using Production Preview controls or sliding the yellow vertical marker along the timeline, locate the beginning of the video portion to be cut out.

3. Right click on the video clip and select SPLIT or click the Split icon

4. Move the marker to the end of the portion to be cut out and split again

5. Point to and right click on the portion to be cutout and click Delete.

Thanks

M.

Switch to Timeline mode, move the jog bar to where you want to cut, right click and choose 'split'. You would benefit greatly by viewing the tutorials under Help.

Switch to Timeline mode, move the jog bar to where you want to cut, right click and choose 'split'. You would benefit greatly by viewing the tutorials under Help.

Thanks for the advice, all OK now.

I did view the tutorial and the help files before posting but they don't explain this clearly. As a beginner I would have thought that removing unwanted material would be the first task before using transitions or adding effects

Under "split" it talks about splitting previously merged tracks, not splitting an original un-edited track

Thanks again

M.

Thanks for the advice, all OK now.

I did view the tutorial and the help files before posting but they don't explain this clearly. As a beginner I would have thought that removing unwanted material would be the first task before using transitions or adding effects

Under "split" it talks about splitting previously merged tracks, not splitting an original un-edited track

Thanks again

M.

I hope that you are doing all of this in VideoWave. For an mpeg2 file, that large, it can take forever for the screen to refresh when you make your cuts.

Archived